What are the benefits of playing video games? Your opinion :)

Hey fellow gamers!

As you may all know, video games are often discussed in terms of their negative effects on players. However, I belief that games also have many benefits and can be truly amazing. In a scientific project at the Hanover University of Music, Drama and Media (Germany) we are currently investigating the positive effects of gaming. And we need your help!

Have you ever played a video game and felt like what was happening on screen was truly awe-inspiring? Have you ever been amazed by something vast while playing a video game, something that stood out of your typical gaming experience?
    Then please help us with our scientific mission and take 15 minutes of your time to fill out this questionnaire. You even have the chance of winning one of 20 Amazon vouchers worth $20 each!

ww3.unipark.de/uc/awe/

The survey is part of a non-commercial, scientific project at the Hanover University of Music, Drama and Media (Germany) and we take our research seriously: All of your details will be treated anonymously as well as confidentially and are used for scientific purposes only.

Thank you for participating!
    Jule

10+ Year Old Account
    A survey with confirmation bias built in? You found the right forum for it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Every time I see a thread like this I think there will be legit discussion... Only to discover its some spam account advertising their shitty survey.

:'(

Deleted
    You will be better off looking for some studies online than asking mmo champ

But in general, playing is good for all species and is the normal way to learn

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Every time I see a thread like this I think there will be legit discussion... Only to discover its some spam account advertising their shitty survey.

:'(
    lets make it happen then

It's the best way to kill time and have fun at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by juschep View Post
    Hey fellow gamers!

As you may all know, video games are often discussed in terms of their negative effects on players. However, I belief that games also have many benefits and can be truly amazing. In a scientific project at the Hanover University of Music, Drama and Media (Germany) we are currently investigating the positive effects of gaming. And we need your help!

Have you ever played a video game and felt like what was happening on screen was truly awe-inspiring? Have you ever been amazed by something vast while playing a video game, something that stood out of your typical gaming experience?
    Then please help us with our scientific mission and take 15 minutes of your time to fill out this questionnaire. You even have the chance of winning one of 20 Amazon vouchers worth $20 each!

ww3.unipark.de/uc/awe/

The survey is part of a non-commercial, scientific project at the Hanover University of Music, Drama and Media (Germany) and we take our research seriously: All of your details will be treated anonymously as well as confidentially and are used for scientific purposes only.

Thank you for participating!
    Jule
    Keeps me from doing harmful things IRL. Video games are the best therapy i've ever known.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Its just a way to kill time.

Most types of video games(3d worlds etc) increase your spatial perception the while you play them, but it drops off after you stop for a while. The studies I wrote the paper on last semester were all using short term tests on college age kids, but given the results, I can see those effects becoming long term if a child is playing during key developmental periods of their life.

(Will find sources if I need to, but don't have time to dig through my folder of research atm)

It's pretty much medical fact, but my opinion is that playing video games makes you

1. Healthier
    2. Better prepared for life
    3. Better looking in general
    4. Offers many social engagement opportunities
    5. Teaches you how to manage your finances
    6. Improves your mood.

You get to have fun! If you enjoy video games, that is.

I do remember a study that was done a few years ago, and if not mistaken it was specifically designed with mmo's in mind, and they concluded that there were a few benefits from playing.

They concluded that in a guild type environment and in raiding made people better at "thinking on their feet" or on they fly. Being able to make quick decisions, follow instructions, better risk takers, willing to try new things. The ability to make mistakes and learn from said mistakes as well.

And it was even better in regards to the leaders of said guilds because of the ability to keep people focused on acheiving a goal and keeping the guild together.

The target group being endgame competitive raiders.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a friend who used her position as an officer in a raiding guild to put into practice some of the management skills she had been taught in college and learn firsthand what it actually takes to balance the needs and egos of 25+ varied personalities and get them all cooperating towards a mutually beneficial goal. The practical experience she got from many years helping run a guild meant that when she was actually hired to manage a place she was able to cleanly step into the role and succeed right out of the gate, and she still marvels at how many of the common conflicts and challenges that come up in the workplace mirror ones that had come up in the guild previously. (Like what /do/ you do with the guy who is a really good worker/high DPS, but has a personality like cuddling a belt sander?)

Ultimately I think what you get out of gaming depends on what you want to get out of it. You can use it to practice skills, hone coordination, and improve yourself in multiple ways if that is what you want. Or you can just kick back, relax, and de-stress with a silly match-3 game. One of the compelling points of gaming to me is that it can be mean something very different to different people, and that's a good thing.