Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why Haven't Bosses Learned in 10+ years...

Ever wonder why final bosses don't just bum rush us with all their bosses and trash at once as soon as we enter the raid? I mean imagine if as soon as we set foot into Nighthold at least 8 of the bosses rambo'd us, we'd get wrecked! Assuming Blizz doesn't just tune them as a council encounter

I mean I suppose you could say it's just arrogance on the part of the final boss. I mean Arthas wanted us to reach him, battle testing us to see if we could become his lieutenants. But then you have people like Ragnaros and Neferian. They've literally been defeated by us before, yet they sit idly in their final boss room like "No problem I gots this!"

I mean Gul'dan literally witnessed us take down nearly every "Warlord of Draenor" and freakin Archimonde himself, Sargeras's left hand. Yet he thinks Tichondrius alone is suppose to stop us as he casually meditates at the top of the spire? I mean there is arrogance and just being plain stupid. Is there no game piece on the board that doesn't underestimate us epic clad purple hunters!?

And why haven't they learned to focus healers? I mean this was basic PvP even in Vanilla, you don't go for the most durable one, you go for the one keeping everyone alive. What makes Tanks so threatening anyway? They tend to do the least damage. Is it a pride thing? Can bosses not tolerate the raid alpha stepping to them unchecked?

I haven't done every raid, so I'm wondering has their been an encounter where bosses focus healers? Or the top DPS? Could be a nice mix up.

Lol just having some fun.

Deleted
    Because it's a game and would make no sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3BrMJZMxGY

Relevant video btw. Paragon fighting multiple Molten Core bosses at once.

Deleted
    the boses win more than us they some times kill us 30 times (wipes) we only kill them once

That reminds me of HFC - a mighty fortress: walls made of metal, towers, dangerous green goo moat, and fel-shooting cannons.

We enter the instance through the main gate.

Every time they try to do something like that, improve AI, the players hate it. Last time was faction champions in ToC.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Every time they try to do something like that, improve AI, the players hate it. Last time was faction champions in ToC.
    Faction Champions had awful PvP strategy. Those morons didn't aim healers. (did they?)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post

Ever wonder why final bosses don't just bum rush us with all their bosses and trash at once as soon as we enter the raid? I mean imagine if as soon as we set foot into Nighthold at least 8 of the bosses rambo'd us, we'd get wrecked! Assuming Blizz doesn't just tune them as a council encounter

I mean I suppose you could say it's just arrogance on the part of the final boss. I mean Arthas wanted us to reach him, battle testing us to see if we could become his lieutenants. But then you have people like Ragnaros and Neferian. They've literally been defeated by us before, yet they sit idly in their final boss room like "No problem I gots this!"

I mean Gul'dan literally witnessed us take down nearly every "Warlord of Draenor" and freakin Archimonde himself, Sargeras's left hand. Yet he thinks Tichondrius alone is suppose to stop us as he casually meditates at the top of the spire? I mean there is arrogance and just being plain stupid. Is there no game piece on the board that doesn't underestimate us epic clad purple hunters!?

And why haven't they learned to focus healers? I mean this was basic PvP even in Vanilla, you don't go for the most durable one, you go for the one keeping everyone alive. What makes Tanks so threatening anyway? They tend to do the least damage. Is it a pride thing? Can bosses not tolerate the raid alpha stepping to them unchecked?

I haven't done every raid, so I'm wondering has their been an encounter where bosses focus healers? Or the top DPS? Could be a nice mix up.

Lol just having some fun.
    It would be really really cool, if we had a raid in the near future, where the villian that we are fighting really gives his all. Like we, the players, are just getting stormed, we have to divert attention so we can take out bosses, but the bosses call attention to themself and the main bad guy does all that he can to try and kill us before we get close to him

The days of big bosses getting surprised, that we have killed their entire fortress or totally undervalueing us as opponents should really be over.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

As I recall, they didn't, nope. They did focus down low-health players though, which could be deadly.

The problem with focusing healers in a game like WoW is that without threat mechanics there's no actual way to protect them and they're pretty squishy. That's OK in a 3v3 arena match where you only have 2 DPS on the healer but with 10 guys on you like faction champs that healer is going to implode. Other games have physicality where the tank can physically block enemies from attacking weak players, but not WoW.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2017-02-28 at 06:37 PM.

because its a video game... i know this is a joke but like.... yeah... its a video game...

- - - Updated - - -

Faction Champions had awful PvP strategy. Those morons didn't aim healers. (did they?)
    yes, some of them would go for your healers unless CCd, because there was no way your tanks could tank all of them at once, and your healers would very quickly gain aggro

Deleted
    Why haven't bosses learned to bring healers?! Really. Everytime the same thing, a bunch of weaklings manage to just poke at a boss for minutes until it falls over.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordago View Post
    Why haven't bosses learned to bring healers?! Really. Everytime the same thing, a bunch of weaklings manage to just poke at a boss for minutes until it falls over.
    They've certainly had healers. First boss in Hellfire Ramparts. Other healing scenarios also.

In Nighthold most bosses are basically either immobile or have a reason to not move from their rooms.

The first 2 bosses aren't sentient, and the 3rd boss is a a barely sentient (if that) mechanical guardian construct.

Krosus can't move from his pool, Star Augur is busy working, Botanist seems like he is there just for his garden, doesn't really care much about Gul'dan, no reason to go out of his way to fight for him. Elissandre is meditating in a well. Gul'dan is under some time pressure to channel his spell.

The only two bosses that actually have spare time on their hands and the ability to move around are Spellblade and Tichondrius, and the former is usually engaged first (once your presence within Nighthold becomes known to Elves), and the latter is too arrogant to go help the Elves.

Could you imagine watching Botanist try to get out of the way of gravity or Tich's bats? Or Augur avoiding Krosus' fel blast?

In all seriousness though, and especially in Nighthold, we are not the only ones fighting. By the time we reach some of these bosses, they've already beaten back several waves of our own armies from a lore perspective. We just push through their defenses (guards) and take them on personally.

That said, I'd really like a raid encounter where everybody gets pulled into a different room based on roles, then having to fight something separate while the boss focuses on something to gain strength/kill us all. Like the last boss of Scholomance, but in raid format. As each group breaks out, they can re-engage the boss until he sends them packing again.

Entering a raid and just dying would be so much fun. I'd certainly pay 13 € a month for that. Not.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    To be fair last time Blizzard tried something rather creative was with that "Epic" encounter with Deathwing....which was terrible. We all would have rather'd a Neferian 3.0.

Dump the trinity, every class is able to tank (somewhat) and heal (a bit) and dps.

Basically one guy pops all mitigation, tanks for 20 seconds, runs away. Another guy jumps in front, repeat. win!

IIRC Nefarian in BWD was just watching us for our amusement and sarcastically complimented us when we defeated the other bosses (he even gives us a temporary title when Heroic Maloriak is killed). His plan was to surprise us with zombie Onxya and then bum rush us himself. Honestly, his plan was working great...until we killed him.

Also, this is a clear variation on a very old joke about: how unarmed mooks would encircle a hero just attack one at a time so they could be easily dealt with rather than all at once. Or how instead of just shooting a captured hero in the head a villain would monologue on and on and than leave the hero unattended in a needlessly elaborate death machine, and they would inevitably free themselves. I believe the Austin Powers movies addressed those tropes.

The dramatic difficultly is that without some of these rather asinine conventions the protagonist is either in no real danger, or they just get killed and evil wins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Would be very interesting to see a "learning AI" get their hands on a boss and see what it does. Google Deep Mind / WoW collab plz
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

To be fair last time Blizzard tried something rather creative was with that "Epic" encounter with Deathwing....which was terrible. We all would have rather'd a Neferian 3.0.
    That wasn't creative AI, but yeah. Spine of Deathwing was the worst.

And it came immediately after Firelands with Rhyolith, which was the worst until then. God, I hated those fights so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamer8585 View Post
    IIRC Nefarian in BWD was just watching us for our amusement and sarcastically complimented us when we defeated the other bosses (he even gives us a temporary title when Heroic Maloriak is killed). His plan was to surprise us with zombie Onxya and then bum rush us himself. Honestly, his plan was working great...until we killed him.

Also, this is a clear variation on a very old joke about: how unarmed mooks would encircle a hero just attack one at a time so they could be easily dealt with rather than all at once. Or how instead of just shooting a captured hero in the head a villain would monologue on and on and than leave the hero unattended in a needlessly elaborate death machine, and they would inevitably free themselves. I believe the Austin Powers movies addressed those tropes.

The dramatic difficultly is that without some of these rather asinine conventions the protagonist is either in no real danger, or they just get killed and evil wins.
    Good point on Neferian in BWD, I actually never cleared BWD when it was current so I kind of forget. I guess it's reasonable to assume that Nef didn't think we could deal with him AND his sister.