Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Sounds like Java isn't for you. Try something else. Maybe a different programming language, maybe different activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Herradura View Post
    Die faster.
    lol 10characters

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Is coding your hobby?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Parhamz View Post
    I hear you, but I am a HSP (highly sensitive person) and I differ from other people, that said a programming job is pretty suitable for people like us. My brain just needs downtime, I can't go balls off the walls 24/7, pretend I am super motivated because I will crash..and crash..and crash.
    Inversely, I literally can not sleep until I solve a code problem I might be stuck on. My brain simply will not stop mulling it over.

Aren't there at least part time programmers out there? Or people who don't aspire to be like Steve Jobs.
    There are, but you're competing with people in (for example) Pakistan who can work for far less.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Go see a doctor. We can't help you.

My personal experience:

Never personally experienced burn out or brain fog. I mean I too get tired after programming for hours (after 5-6 hours). I tend to process stuff slower afterwards, not sure if its normal or not but I am okay with it. I think it is simple fatigue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Java is for compatibility and relatively good speed. Great for games and phone apps.

If you want to focus on the problem domain itself then Python is better. You spend less time on low level details and boilerplate.
    I am generally more interested in games and phone apps. Might look into Python, are there enough jobs available for Python?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Go see a doctor. We can't help you.

My personal experience:

Never personally experienced burn out or brain fog. I mean I too get tired after programming for hours (after 5-6 hours). I tend to process stuff slower afterwards, not sure if its normal or not but I am okay with it. I think it is simple fatigue.

I think my programming skills has to be sufficient enough for me to program 6 hours a day... I would even have a hard time playing video games for 6 hours, imagine what my brain would go through with something intensive like coding. Like I said, it's a skill. Driving a car, riding the bicycle, something simple as picking up a spoon, these are all tasks our brain is used to.

I will ignore the "just quit" advice.

Was Rome built in one day?

10+ Year Old Account
    As a software engineer for now going onto 17 years, it's just...take a break. Stand up. Stretch. Think about something else. Go pet a dog. Anything that distracts your brain for a moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am generally more interested in games and phone apps. Might look into Python, are there enough jobs available for Python?
    When I started, I too wanted to make games. This was about 1992`ish. Let me just save you the heartbreak right now. Forget about making games. You wont pay off your student loan and you wont ship a game.

Now, in reality, Python is good but I dont see as many job openings as I do for C#/MVC. C#, IMHO, is the best money maker, but not necessarily the best language. (I say that because its whats made ME the most money in life)
    Last edited by Beazy; 2017-03-01 at 09:53 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    As a software engineer for now going onto 17 years, it's just...take a break. Stand up. Stretch. Think about something else. Go pet a dog. Anything that distracts your brain for a moment.
    Will do, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    When I started, I too wanted to make games. This was about 1992`ish. Let me just save you the heartbreak right now. Forget about making games. You wont pay off your student loan and you wont ship a game.

Now, in reality, Python is good but I dont see as many job openings as I do for C#/MVC. C#, IMHO, is the best money maker, but not necessarily the best language.
    Hm, what about apps? What do you think about Java in general. I've read it will be very important in the future. Might look into C#also, by the way, why is it the best money maker?

10+ Year Old Account
    Will do, thanks.

Hm, what about apps? What do you think about Java in general. I've read it will be very important in the future. Might look into C#also, by the way, why is it the best money maker?
    JAVA is like the Jedi language. It can do everything, and can do it multiplatform easily. Easily in a sense. It will always be important, just like C++.

I think C# is the best money maker because a lot of large business are ran on Windows platform networks, C# snaps into this "framework" easily. C# is built from the ground up to be a rapid development language and I feel that I can get much more code done in a day than using any other language, but thats not fair for me to say as a fact because a professional JAVA developer may have the ability to create the same rapid development environment that I use, just in a different way.

If you truly want to be a professional coder, JAVA / C++ / C# are going to be your best bets. Thats not to say you cant be successful coding in python, you absolutely can, I just think you may spend a bit longer on the job market than say if you are a MVC design pattern master.

Making phone apps is quite easy if you have experience in C# webforms of MVC, you can simply use Xamarin and convert your C# to any phone/mobile device on the market.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2017-03-01 at 10:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its syntax is a lot like other languages, so it's easy to move to and from. It's in high demand for high-performing database windows/web applications and it has been incorporated in a lot of development toolkits like Unity and XNA.

Deleted
    JAVA is like the Jedi language. It can do everything, and can do it multiplatform easily. Easily in a sense. It will always be important, just like C++.

I think C# is the best money maker because a lot of large business are ran on Windows platform networks, C# snaps into this "framework" easily. C# is built from the ground up to be a rapid development language and I feel that I can get much more code done in a day than using any other language, but thats not fair for me to say as a fact because a professional JAVA developer may have the ability to create the same rapid development environment that I use, just in a different way.

If you truly want to be a professional coder, JAVA / C++ / C# are going to be your best bets. Thats not to say you cant be successful coding in python, you absolutely can, I just think you may spend a bit longer on the job market than say if you are a MVC design pattern master.

Making phone apps is quite easy if you have experience in C# webforms of MVC, you can simply use Xamarin and convert your C# to any phone/mobile device on the market.
    I see, thanks for your answer. Maybe I will stick with Java for the more freelance/home/on your own route? You did say C# is highly in demand for companies right? Which is good on it's own of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Its syntax is a lot like other languages, so it's easy to move to and from. It's in high demand for high-performing database windows/web applications and it has been incorporated in a lot of development toolkits like Unity and XNA.
    I see.. maybe I will make java my 'main language' and learn Python/C# on the side.

Thanks for the help guys, I will take this all into consideration and take my rest now. I feel more confident now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see, thanks for your answer. Maybe I will stick with Java for the more freelance/home/on your own route? You did say C# is highly in demand for companies right? Which is good on it's own of course.

I see.. maybe I will make java my 'main language' and learn Python/C# on the side.

Thanks for the help guys, I will take this all into consideration and take my rest now. I feel more confident now.
    I would stick with JAVA, you already have the basic foundation and a lot of the syntax and the way you write code will transfer over to other languages well. You can pick up C# etc later down the line.

Stick with it, trust me when I say the coders life is sweet.

Deleted
    I would stick with JAVA, you already have the basic foundation and a lot of the syntax and the way you write code will transfer over to other languages well. You can pick up C# etc later down the line.

Stick with it, trust me when I say the coders life is sweet.
    Well that's true. And I sure hope so haha

Deleted
    Everytime I (learning Java) program for a few hours, been doing that for a whole year, I have been dealing with brain fog and burn out. So much so that I quit my activities for time being. Which is really annoying because I really want to become a good programmer and make a living that way..

Could someone please help me and give some advice?
    My best advice would be, don't make a game. You're not going to finish it, and that severely hampers your motivation. Instead, make something small that can solve some everyday problem. Make it small and make it good and try to make it reusable. When that's done, make something else that is small. Keep doing that until you can start to stitch these things together.

Just make sure you start out by making stuff that you can actually complete or has a clear goal, completing something is a big boost to your ego and motivation. It doesn't have to be something fancy, it could be as simple as parsing some text. Or if you really want to make a game, take a (really) small part of what you would require to make the game and do that. Maybe some algorithm that you just write to the console, or read a config file or something similar.

I think my programming skills has to be sufficient enough for me to program 6 hours a day... I would even have a hard time playing video games for 6 hours, imagine what my brain would go through with something intensive like coding. Like I said, it's a skill. Driving a car, riding the bicycle, something simple as picking up a spoon, these are all tasks our brain is used to.

I will ignore the "just quit" advice.

Was Rome built in one day?
    If it's not a job and you can give breaks, do it. Programming is a very very demanding/tiring activity. Obviously, do not listen quit advices but don't hurt yourself in the process of learning or make yourself hate programming.

Rome was not built in one day, and you can not be a good programmer without programming for years. This is regardless of your talent. Take things slowly and try to enjoy your time.

Also, compare your problems occurring after programming with other mental activities that you do, like studying algebra/physics/whatever. Definitely go see a doctor. If I am doing something that I utterly don't want to, I have biological alarm that bells; I get itchy. This might come funny to some people, but I immediately stop what I am forcing myself to do after that.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2017-03-01 at 11:30 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Programming since Amiga days and my advice is: take a break and then break down your problem. Sometimes it goes easier with an additional pair of eyes and you can never have too much input. Also programming profession is no place for personal pride.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Blademaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    I have been a professional developer for 20 years. Whenever I'm getting mentally fatigued from a problem then I get up and go exercise. If I just get up from the computer and go try to do something else (play a game, read a book, etc...) then I'll find that I'm still thinking about the problem. But if I am doing enough physical exertion then I can't think about it. Plus endorphins are pretty amazing. Works well, at least for me.