Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    If they can make friendly nameplanets forbidden, why can't they make debuffs on friendly nameplates forbidden?
    Because it'd solve nothing, it's a raid environment, so all friendly units have alternative unit tokens, nameplates normally use "nameplate*" tokens, however, raid frames use "raid*" tokens, and obv you can ref nameplates by "raid*" tokens, so as long as one could attach something to a nameplate, one could do all the "maths" w/ "raid*" tokens, and then do the rest w/ nameplates.

And no, you can't simply disable `C_NamePlate.GetNamePlateForUnit` function, and be done w/ all issues, there's an alternative (oldschool) way of fishing for nameplates by sieving through WorldFrame's children, that's how we used to customise old (pre-Legion) nameplates.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    While this might be true, what exactly are they trying to fix? Like, give me specific examples what is broken at the moment that requires spending development time on this change. I can only think of one thing - Star Augur mythic encounter, aka the one taking hundreds of wipes for the 0,1% of the raiders that actually reached him by now. Baffling.

Myself I don't care about icons/auras over friendly nameplates, I do however care a lot that we are going back to the unreadable shit that default names are.
    Star Augur, Gul'Dan, etc... Just watch exorsus vids.

That's undesired thing, it's abused now on Live, and it would be abused even more in the future. That's how we got AVR, DBM radar, Archi beam helper, etc. At first they were just silly concepts, and no one really paid much attention to them...
    Last edited by ls-; 2017-03-02 at 09:14 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Because it'd solve nothing, it's a raid environment, so all friendly units have alternative unit tokens, nameplates normally use "nameplate*" tokens, however, raid frames use "raid*" tokens, and obv you can ref nameplates by "raid*" tokens, so as long as one could attach something to a nameplate, one could do all the "maths" w/ "raid*" tokens, and then do the rest w/ nameplates.

And no you can't simply disable `C_NamePlate.GetNamePlateForUnit` function, there's an alternative (oldschool) way of fishing for nameplates by sieving through WorldFrame's children, that's how we used to customise old (pre-Legion) nameplates.
    well my point was: obvioulsy there is something telling the addon when to put a fancy texture on the nameplate and when not to. i assumed it would be a buff/debuff but what it is doesn't really matter, the question is whether it is possible to block just that specific element.

i say it is possible, but would take (too much) work, so they opted for a easy fix with tons of collateral damage instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure they're doing this to fix the whole icon thing on Mythic Star Augur. Be glad they're doing this in 7.2 and not now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

10+ Year Old Account
    I like default UI, but can't stand how ugly KuiNameplates is.

Also, stuff like that needed to be fixed, addon shouldn't make encounters that easier, and it was sad to watch a world first video and think, "oh, they do that bullshit with visualization again, well, i guess if someone could program this shit for us raid coordination would be almost trivial"
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think i'm stupid, watched the Exorsus Gul'Dan video but I can't see what you mean with the friendly nameplates?

10+ Year Old Account
    well my point was: obvioulsy there is something telling the addon when to put a fancy texture on the nameplate and when not to. i assumed it would be a buff/debuff but what it is doesn't really matter, the question is whether it is possible to block just that specific element.

i say it is possible, but would take (too much) work, so they opted for a easy fix with tons of collateral damage instead.
    So, instead of crapping on nameplates you want blizzard to break any way to detect a debuffs/buffs on raid members?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by clinophobia View Post
    I think i'm stupid, watched the Exorsus Gul'Dan video but I can't see what you mean with the friendly nameplates?
    arrows that indicate where you need to move, circles around players that change colour when someone is too close/far away, etc. That's borked. If i understand correctly, these are textures that are drawn with offset off nameplates
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Star Augur, Gul'Dan, etc... Just watch exorsus vids.

That's undesired thing, it's abused now on Live, and it would be abused even more in the future. That's how we got AVR, DBM radar, Archi beam helper, etc. At first they were just silly concepts, and no one really paid much attention to them...
    So they are removing a huge QoL bonus for everyone that came across KNP, to make life harder for 0,1% of raiders that are doing high endn mythic. Makes sense.
    Because surely they couldn't make their own game not display buffs/debuffs in instanced gameplay, right?

i say it is possible, but would take (too much) work, so they opted for a easy fix instead.
    As I said, a texture is a texture, it can be a fancy dragon to indicator elite mobs, but it can be a circle of a certain radius around friendly player that indicates various things. Code-wise they are identical The only difference between the two is OUR reaction, e.g. "k, I see that dragon texture, that's an elite mob", "k, I see that red circle on Joe, I shouldn't stand next to him". But they both were created the same way: someone somewhere wrote `frame:CreateTexture()`.

- - - Updated - - -

So they are removing a huge QoL bonus for everyone that came across KNP, to make life harder for 0,1% of raiders that are doing high endn mythic. Makes sense.
    Because surely they couldn't make their own game not display buffs/debuffs in instanced gameplay, right?
    Get used to it, it's been this way since TBC, literally.
    Last edited by ls-; 2017-03-02 at 09:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    So, instead of crapping on nameplates you want blizzard to break any way to detect a debuffs/buffs on raid members?

- - - Updated - - -

arrows that indicate where you need to move, circles around players that change colour when someone is too close/far away, etc. That's borked. If i understand correctly, these are textures that are drawn with offset off nameplates
    Wait, so Kui nameplates does the circles around players? But didn't we have something like this on Archimonde too and Blizzard did nothing?

I didn't really understand but was told it's the big purple and green circles appearing over certain players depending on what was happening in the fight and that the problem isn't really with nameplates being modified, it's that as it is now, add-ons can change the name-plate appearance during the fight dynamically depending on what is happening in the fight to give an extra advantage. I wonder if this is just a stop-gap measure until Blizz can change something so that nameplates can be altered but just not during combat or a raid encounter

Deleted
    So, instead of crapping on nameplates you want blizzard to break any way to detect a debuffs/buffs on raid members?s
    No, instead of disabling retexturing friendly name plates in insteanced pve entirely, i want them to disabling retexturing the problematic sub-component of friendly nameplates in instanced pve.

the way my understanding of these addons works is: you get a debuff, this shows up on friendly nameplates. but instead of the default icon, the addon puts a icon the size of your character on instead.

when i go into my nameplate addon, there is a subsection called "friendly name plate debuffs" where i can change their size, where they anchor, etc. so one presumes that they could just disable customization of that particular thing.

seems like a 1+1=2 problem to me but i don't code.

They should just make it so no add-ons are allowed in Mythic period and then we'd really see how good mythic raiders are and maybe stuff like this that affects the entire game wouldn't happen

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, so Kui nameplates does the circles around players? But didn't we have something like this on Archimonde too and Blizzard did nothing?
    No, kui nameplates use same functionality to change nameplates, i would guess that exorsus used custom addon

Yes, it's similar, and yes, they did nothing back then.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how raiders are going to survive this change considering how it's the first time Blizzard has ever broken a feature from an addon that completely trivializes a mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

Deleted
    As I said, a texture is a texture, it can be a fancy dragon to indicator elite mobs, but it can be a circle of a certain radius around friendly player that indicates various things. Code-wise they are identical The only difference between the two is OUR reaction, e.g. "k, I see that dragon texture, that's an elite mob", "k, I see that red circle on Joe, I shouldn't stand next to him". But they both were created the same way: someone somewhere wrote `frame:CreateTexture()`.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah so you say but i don't see what that has to do with anything.

what the texture is doesn't matter, only the ability of it to be changed matters. so why must all texture category changes be blocked instead of just the problem texture category.

Yes, it's similar, and yes, they did nothing back then.
    Eh? That's they did, they disabled player position API in instances

Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    I wonder if this is just a stop-gap measure until Blizz can change something so that nameplates can be altered but just not during combat or a raid encounter
    If they don't hear some kind of outcry they'll just disable it and be done.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, instead of disabling retexturing friendly name plates in insteanced pve entirely, i want them to disabling retexturing the problematic sub-component of friendly nameplates in instanced pve.

the way my understanding of these addons works is: you get a debuff, this shows up on friendly nameplates. but instead of the default icon, the addon puts a icon the size of your character on instead.

when i go into my nameplate addon, there is a subsection called "friendly name plate debuffs" where i can change their size, where they anchor, etc. so one presumes that they could just disable customization of that particular thing.

seems like a 1+1=2 problem to me but i don't code.
    Yeah, addon makers could remove that functionality from their addon, but you can't trust really them with that. From blizzards side - it's the same, it's a texture on a nameplate.

The bold part also doesn't make sense for me, can you rephrase that>?

- - - Updated - - -

Eh? That's they did, they disabled player position API in instances
    Back in draenor? How does this shit still worked in EN then?

Deleted
    Yeah, addon makers could remove that functionality from their addon, but you can't trust really them with that. From blizzards side - it's the same, it's a texture on a nameplate.

The bold part also doesn't make sense for me, can you rephrase that>?

- - - Updated - - -

Back in draenor? How does this shit still works now then?
    the problem is debuff icons being retextured.

so why does the health bar texture matter?

10+ Year Old Account
    the problem is debuff icons being retextured.

so why does the health bar texture matter?
    It's the same thing, debuff texture = health bar texture.