Cloning hdd onto a ssd question

Anyone happen to know if the both drives must be the same size (as in total storage)? I continue to have an issue with my PC hard drive causing/contributing to severe FPS drops while gaming. My current hdd is 250 gb and would like to save money on a smaller ssd, also I no longer have the original copy of my OS to put on my would be new sdd.
    Last edited by Krixus; 2017-03-02 at 03:54 AM.

I've cloned hard drives onto smaller SSDs quite a few times. Most utilities, including those bundled with SSDs, handle partition shrinking automatically; you may have to massage the partition a bit by shutting off pagefile and/or defragmenting with another PC / with a live USB boot to move stuck system files first if the utility can't manage on its own.
    Super casual.

As long as the amount of data fits on it, it should be fine, I would not advise to get an SSD smaller then 250GB though the smaller ones fill up pretty fast.

cloning my 250gb mac drive to a 120gb ssd was a nightmare.. and has kinda resulted in the ssd being unable to be further partitioned using diskutility.

but! on windows it was super duper easy, so unless you are doing this on a mac, you should be good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    As long as the amount of data fits on it, it should be fine, I would not advise to get an SSD smaller then 250GB though the smaller ones fill up pretty fast.
    This

Acronis ftw.

Most ssd's come with cloning software, I dont know which one your getting or have gotten, but if you have a seagate or a wd mechanical in there for storage and backups they have a free version of Acronis you can use.

Western Digitals

Seagate Disk Wizard