How often does follower item quest show up?

So my shaman is an alt, so I don't play them everyday, but one thing that's very confusing to me. How often does the quest show up that allows you to fight the NPC and be awarded either a follower ilevel token, or follower item box? It seems very random to me.

Also on a side note, the classes with the "returns from missions with follower items" really get hosed. It takes forever to gear up the followers, especially alts.

I've been playing my Shaman since launch and I still haven't figured out how that quest works.

Simple set your party to 200% of success

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbull View Post
    takes a long ass time to get things to 200% when its hard to even get followers to 830 ilvl much less 850. hes more interested in figuring out when the actual quest pops up that lets you fight the npc for the little cache with an item. like the other guy said. i recently main swapped to shaman, been playing it about a month now... not a clue as to how that quest works

Quote Originally Posted by noladrew View Post
    takes a long ass time to get things to 200% when its hard to even get followers to 830 ilvl much less 850. hes more interested in figuring out when the actual quest pops up that lets you fight the npc for the little cache with an item. like the other guy said. i recently main swapped to shaman, been playing it about a month now... not a clue as to how that quest works
    Its not all that difficult... 200% is hard, but really if you can get above 160% u have a pretty good chance of getting the bonus item. Once u start getting champ gear it becomes even easier.... like the "20% chance for missions with 8+ hrs" item, or adding to existing buffs that champs have like Avalanchion (think thats his name) gets a bonus if u use the earthcallers or geomancers, and u can also get an item that has the same effect, so I have that item on avalanchion and whenever I pair him with a geomancer he gets a huge bonus, instead of 30/45% its like 60/75% instead. As for getting their ilvl up.... the ilvl items are pretty random, but as long as u do missions u will get them randomly after they complete, plus I think u get em from emissary caches too. I usually see an ilvl item mission every day and sometimes a gear item as well.... and if u try to get the bonus roll then u typically end up with a blue/epic item or a gear chest for even more stuff. It is a bit annoying that we can't simply place an order in our halls using resources like other classes, but it hasn't been much of a problem for me either.

As for the quest that lets u pick from a champion item or crate.... it is just a random spawn, just like when u randomly see Drek'thar in ur order hall and he gives u a buff, or sometimes other npcs like the murloc shaman. It is totally random, and I honestly rarely see it.... maybe once a week if your lucky. The missions and bonus roll are your best way to get the champ gear and ilvl items... as well as emissary caches from wq's.

op is talking about fighting the other shaman in the class hall not follower missions

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbull View Post
    He's not talking about missions. He's talking about the quest that pops up sometimes in the shaman class hall. (Quest starts with the huge pile of boxes in the little alcove opposite the Artifact Knowledge NPC).

As for the quest, it seems to be completely random; there is no pattern of any kind. I've seen the quest pop up 3 days in a row, but I've also had 4+ weeks of not seeing it at all.