Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusPlz View Post
    This is the most logical reply in this thread. I don't want you guys to agree with me, I just want to understand how it makes you feel in your brain, heart and gut. I want to know how this affects your ability to perform in a game. Does this weaken resolve for the next match? The entire history of competitive gaming - including chess, ping-pong, tennis - whichever sporting and competitive event - involves gloating by the winner. Of course, the winner and loser always (usually) shakes hands in the end, because that's good sportsmanship. But there is a lot of gloating prior.

Video games, the opponent isn't in front of you, he's far-far-away and it's TYPED WORDS. It doesn't even come close to the cyber-bullying faced by teenagers who have killed themselves as a result of mean words sent on Facebook. There have been arguments that it's so weak to kill yourself because of words said on your Facebook profile, but even I agree that Facebook users are people with real names and locations, and it is almost as bad as saying it to your face.

"GG EZ" and "GG N00BZ" doesn't come close to what these people have suffered. Game users are anonymous unless they don't safeguard their personal info, then it becomes an actual serious matter. But when we're all anonymous, what's the big deal?
    I don't think it matters how far away you are from one another. You should still behave in a good respectable way. Be it internet, phone or real life, you should be respectful. Friendly banter is another thing though. I guess it depends on the game, if people insult each other all over the place but in a "friendly" way then the edge of "GG EZ" might be blunted. Guess it's a matter of communication and mood. Still, being anonymous does not mean you should insult people.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kae View Post
    Ah I get it. You're not here for a discussion, you're not here because you genuinely don't understand This is a bait thread and you're looking for noobs to try and make them butthurt?

Moving on...
    This is an honest-to-God attempt to understand. I already understand that it's interpreted as bad sportsmanship, but does it actually affect your ability to perform in the next match, or any future matches? Yeah, the losers know they lost - and the comments are simply "adding injury", but it's an internet video game. The other team was not even hacking (thanks to detection software in most games).

If you can fully break it down as to why it's offensive, in a completely logical way - also factoring in that it's just an internet game - then I will concede you as the champion of this thread and request it closed. I know that it's possible I could twist this statement, but my original post was meant to be serious, because the complaints about this innocuous phrase actually make my head hurt. Reading your complaints actually made me physically-age, because stress of any kind increases the effects of ageing.

Not one of you have tried actually explaining how it makes you feel. All I've heard is it reminds the other team that their skills were not up to par. Well guess what? That's the nature of installing a game and having your first few M/P matches. You have to gain skill. Overwatch and games like it that have skill-matching quickplay are good for this because you aren't thrown against MLG players who can whoop you - and I've had my ass STOMPED everytime I play, I consider it a challenge/obstacle to overcome, not a reason to uninstall or report.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    "GG" is not toxic because it simply means "good game" and not in sarcastic way as some people may interpret it. If you do that, that is your own fault.
    "GG EZ" is toxic because it is often used when match was completely fair and not an easy win. "Easy" does not mean "GIT GUD" if you had chances to win.
    GG also means GIT GUD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Because "GG" is kinda contradicted by "EZ" part.

Any player in a real-life competitive activity knows it's bad sportsmanship to directly mock the opponent for losing, and that's the same as a person irl who would never go up to a black person and call them that derogatory term. It's not that we have "safety of the internet" to be bigots or "mean", it's gaming chat. It's not meant to be a civil discussion. Maybe you guys shouldn't pay attention to the chat, and make sure that when you respawn, you don't get killed EZ again?
    You can still respect people even if it is over the internet, though I do agree that people could easily handle the whole situation better if you're on the receiving end. Usually it doesn't bother me when it happens and I have indulged in the behaviour myself incase I have been against a really toxic team on CS:GO. So I don't think it is as bad, but showing respect even if it is over the internet is one of the basic human behaviours and it doesn't hurt to show some.

7+ Year Old Account
    Toxisity is a myth forced on gaming community by mentally ill internet policeman Riot Lyte.
    "GG EZ" is just a bad taste and awful sportsmanship in most cases. Sometimes you just want to throw your opponent of balance or tilt him, if you expect to meet him again, but I find "GG EZ" on the same level as mom-jokes.
    But if things like that tend to offend you, you may need to seek professional help.
    retired raiding shadow priest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    WoW will never die. They will be back up to 12m+ subs when legion hits, and wont fall below 10m for the duration of the expansion. You can mark my words on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhmm I've done it myself quite few times to be honest, but I do understand why it is considered toxic.

Saying GG is usually good sportsmanship, you are acknowledging that the other team did a good job and had you on your toes, or merely as a consolation as to make them feel a bit better after a defeat.

Following up with an EZ simply invalidates the previous point and sounds plain ironic and insulting. It doesn't matter if it's a video game or tennis match, you're still teams composed of human beings, the problem is that anonymity comes into play when you're playing a video game, and cunts tend to thrive in such environments (I'm a cunt myself most of the time).

I would say that saying GG EZ after you overwhelm the opposing team is simply an ego boost, and I've been there more times that I would like to admit.

In a close match, it's plain retarded and used to make the defeated team salty. Which is quite hilarious lol.

I agree with respect. Let me explain how I apply the concept in games: I'm not sexist towards female players, though the worst I'll say is "wanna go on a date?" This isn't the equivalent of the cat-calling that most young women face in real life with sexist pigs. I've even read - and empathized with - female players who have experienced actual sexual harassment in-games, and I'm talking about uncalled-for shit like "Make me a sandwich" and "Wanna have sex?" These kinds of comments do not belong in a video game environment.

We seem to be in a "ballet of emotions and feelings", as Will Ferrell put it in "The Other Guys". I'll try to explain from another perspective why I think complaints about "gg ez" are completely ridiculous:

Think about the mentality of a person who actually reports or complains about this. They could spend that energy joining another match, or looking up on forums about strategies to counter competitive tactics, or certain characters/builds/strats. But they choose to try to improve their competitive gaming experience by reporting comments that are acceptable in all game Code of Conducts, because they are simply reminded of the fact they lost and weren't as good. I suck at a lot of multiplayer games, I've never been good except at MMO's, because MMO games are built for casual players.

Shooters and RTS games? I know where I stand, I suck. We can't all be good at everything. That is where I'm coming from.

I was talking with some friends in Discord, and we often mock people

I searched on Google two different keyword-combinations to try to find people like me who honestly don't care

My eyes scrunch-up in confusion when I see people complaining like this.

I actually face-palm irl
    When you've dedicated so much time to anonymous gaming and not enough time developing real social skills, things like this can be confusing. Your dedication to internet meme speak is telling of someone who's lost touch with real life. People do not like to be mocked. Simple as that. Charging one's ego by rubbing in a victory is evident of pathetic individual.

Deleted
    Oh dear you have to literally be a real life doorhandle to not at least see why some people get snnoyed by it.

GG means good game, nothing toxic about that.

Ez however obviosly means easy, and if you won and you're telling people that it was easy, you're basically telling people they suck.

And yeah they might suck but why rub it in.

"BUT IT'S THE TRUTH, IT WAS EASY IT JUST MEANS THEY HAVE TO GET BETTER"

Shut the fuck up.

It's like if someone fails an exam and then their teacher calls them retarded, that person is already beating themselves up over it, they already know that they should've done better, they don't need anyone else to say the same ting.

That being said I still say GG EZ because I'm a piece of shit but I at least KNOW that it tilts people, instead of being dumbfounded by manners.
    Last edited by mmocb78b2e29a3; 2017-03-03 at 08:32 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    "GG EZ" and "GG N00BZ" doesn't come close to what these people have suffered. Game users are anonymous unless they don't safeguard their personal info, then it becomes an actual serious matter. But when we're all anonymous, what's the big deal?
    For Blizzard it's not so much about the abuse specifically, but about wanting to promote a professional atmosphere in the game, so it can push the game forward as an eSports title (and thus drive extra revenue out of it).
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHandsB View Post
    When you've dedicated so much time to anonymous gaming and not enough time developing real social skills, things like this can be confusing. Your dedication to internet meme speak is telling of someone who's lost touch with real life. People do not like to be mocked. Simple as that. Charging one's ego by rubbing in a victory is evident of pathetic individual.
    I'm going to agree with you: you are 100% correct. I feel power that I lack in real-life when I'm in a game environment. In fact, sometimes after I've had a really bad day, I power-up GTA Online and run people over and run into people's cars (NPC's, not real people), beat them to death, etc. In role-playing games, I like making characters that no NPC can fuck with, and I love taunting and killing thug NPC's.

But in competition? Whether or not I'm stressing to improve rank or not, I don't tie what someone says to me in chat to my ability to improve, because my focus in in the game, and not the side chat-bar. If I happen to see it, I'm not offended (like I keep repeating, I know).

I'm not a pathetic individual in real life, I am very orderly and law-abiding. I even think people who jaywalk at a downtown traffic light are disrespectful, since we're waiting patiently and respecting traffic safety. I'm naturally diplomatic, and I'm an excellent mediator in disputes. I've even been more politically-active lately, and I even write to politicians of opposing parties to explain my views articulately and without insulting them, and you know what? I've had a few of them call my house so we can have civil discussions on the matter.

But that's real-life, where there are consequences for being toxic. A game match is short-term, and it's over in a few minutes. Then you join a new match. The game world is VIRTUAL. It takes up virtual space, and just think of all the gaming action that's happening while we're on this message board, sending replies. That's a lot of chaos happening! But scientists have agreed: there is no link to violent video games and real-life violence (bear with me on this one)...so why should there be a link to anonymous shit-talking with other anonymous players, and the feelings they have between game sessions?

Deleted
    I won't spill any salt because of it, though I sometimes do worry about the guys who use that phrase. Is their self-worth so heavily dilluted that they need an additional fix on top of already having won?

Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    Oh dear you have to literally be a real life doorhandle to not at least see why some people get snnoyed by it.

GG means good game, nothing toxic about that.

Ez however obviosly means easy, and if you won and you're telling people that it was easy, you're basically telling people they suck.

And yeah they might suck but why rub it in.

"BUT IT'S THE TRUTH, IT WAS EASY IT JUST MEANS THEY HAVE TO GET BETTER"

Shut the fuck up.

It's like if someone fails an exam and then their teacher calls them retarded, that person is already beating themselves up over it, they already know that they should've done better, they don't need anyone else to say the same ting.
    I agree.

But that's real-life, where there are consequences for being toxic. A game match is short-term, and it's over in a few minutes. Then you join a new match. The game world is VIRTUAL. It takes up virtual space, and just think of all the gaming action that's happening while we're on this message board, sending replies. That's a lot of chaos happening! But scientists have agreed: there is no link to violent video games and real-life violence (bear with me on this one)...so why should there be a link to anonymous shit-talking with other anonymous players, and the feelings they have between game sessions?
    But it's essentially still an activity centred on pleasure and enjoyment. I don't know a lot of people who enjoy being insulted after an intense match. I think it's unfair to suggest that it's irrational for people to be offended by a hurtful sentiment. In that regard we're all different, and common courtesy usually dictates we keep it at the lowest common denominator. At the risk of sounding like a social justice warrior, you or I are in no position to control how a message is perceived. If someone got insulted by what you said, that's it - they got insulted.

About the (missing) link between video games and violence and your hypothesis that this should hold for hurt feelings as well. It's true that we've found no long-term links between the two, but there's actually several studies that have found a short-term link between violent video games and anti-social behaviour. So I'd argue that there is a link between people being insulted online and their emotional state (I use this term in a very broad sense) being affected in the hours following such treatment :-)

It's poor sportsmanship, especially if there's an equal playing field and both sides in a battle fought fiercely.

Deleted
    It's just as silly as if an athlete would say it after winning something. It's rather pathetic and shows lack of sportsmanship.

So all I'm hearing is that a person's self-worth must be called into question for some harmless victory banter, that's not even that derogatory - in my opinion, I must admit. Let me ask another question, then:

Has anyone ever seen anyone complain in-game about players saying "gg ez"?

"GG" is both good sportsmanship, but mostly is an insult.
    Maybe in your garbage F2P scene dominated by 12-year-olds and third worlders. For the adult population and those who aren't new to online video games, it's always been nothing but good sportsmanship.

I'm not sure why you're finding it so hard to understand. Virtual or not it is still an interaction with another person and people generally don't like to be mocked. It might not even be the words (or letters) that are hurtful but the fact that another person wrote them trying to to generate a negative reaction. I think that might be the point you're missing, people consider "gg ez" to be toxic because the players who type it intend to be toxic.