Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Phantasy Star Universe

Whatever happened to this game? I really miss farming the hell out of White beast and sleeping warriors!

When I owned a Dreamcast, Phantasy-Star Online was one of the few games I purchased for it. Unfortunately, it was also around the time that dial-up was the equivalent of basic cable today. It was impossible to go online, so I had to play single-player, but visually and in terms of gameplay, it was pretty fun and interesting, but didn't get very far. I do member the classic ones, though.

Phantasy Star 1 for the Sega Master System was my first time playing it. Oh, the member berries...I was such a n00b as a child that I didn't get past Medusa. But that game fuckin' ruled! They did make a reboot with better graphics and gameplay, but I like the classic look. I did play a bit of the other games when I used a Genesis emulator, but I was still n00b. But it's a great RPG universe: futuristic setting with swords.

I also member being sexually-attracted to Alis. She had a sexy outfit and skirt, legs, and she was blonde.

Ahh, I haven't played 1, I played some 2, 3 and 4 I believe, but it's so many years ago and only played 'em once.

Phantasy star universe for xbox was quite alot of fun to play online, but the servers went down in 2010 or so, it didn't have alot of players left then, but it was still possible to find games.

10+ Year Old Account
    The original Phantasy Star series before it became online and stuff was an amazing RPG but unfortunately it was so underrated.

I remember playing Phantasy Star 2 when I was young and cried like hell when Nei died the sound track of her death is still in my head to this day...

at 1:16

I'm fairly certain the PSU servers went down. The game never seemed to pick up in the West as well as it does in Japan. PSO2 has been out awhile in Japan, and they keep suggesting they'll US release, but I don't think it'll ever happen. That being said, some of the people that play there have translated the game and use a modified launcher that will update the game files to mostly English, and there is a decent-sized US playerbase. It's F2P, but some things, mostly convenience, require $ purchases, which is difficult since you cannot pay with US currency.

I loved everything about 4.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    I liked PS4 better than the best SNES rpgs I owned. :P
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    I like PS4, but I couldn't ever get past Alys' (I think it was, he woman with the boomerangs) death.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    I liked some ff and dq3 better.

10+ Year Old Account
    PSU servers went down shortly before PSO2 launched in JP as "It didn't make sense to run both PSU and PSO2.", however they then decided not to launch PSO2 in the West.. So we ended up with neither.

They've never officially commented on why PSO2 never came out overseas, but the leading rumor last I checked up on it was that some sort of deal is preventing them.

PSO2 here would be nice.

I played PSU and it was extremely grindy right out of the gate. I think I literally was having to do the same mission several times in a row to level up. Far worse then PSO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kufell View Post
    PSU servers went down shortly before PSO2 launched in JP as "It didn't make sense to run both PSU and PSO2.", however they then decided not to launch PSO2 in the West.. So we ended up with neither.

They've never officially commented on why PSO2 never came out overseas, but the leading rumor last I checked up on it was that some sort of deal is preventing them.
    Its been 5 years so far anyway so I've lost interest at this point. I'll just wait until they do another version eventually and hope for western release at that point. That being said, the MMOs I've been playing for 15+ years now easily filled the void of PSO/U for. I did enjoy PS0 on the Nintendo DS though, clockeda round 1000+ hours into it.

I dunno, maybe the impossible will happen and I can finally get another single player RPG (LOL) in the series.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    i hated 4 for one simple reason....the fricking flashing lights whenever a monster dies or you cast a spell. i had to stop playing about 5 hours in because i was afraid it was gonna trigger my epilepsy. seriously sega. normally i don't have issues playing video games but for some reason sega thought it would be hilarious if phantasy star 4 had seizure inducing graphical effects.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2017-03-09 at 02:36 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I remember loving the gamecube version of PSO, but never could convince parents to let me hook it up online at the time...still had some great local multiplayer with friends, would stay up all night farming for stuff. DS version was ok, but the FC system ruined any online really.

Apparently there are instructions out there to basically patch in english text and play on the japanese servers for PSO2, but I never bothered since I did naively await a US release...and while I still kinda want an even simpler action/rpg/mmo-ish gameplay that it offers, just no time to get into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it was a bit of letdown and disservice to the series when they made Online 2, online only. Even if they never had any plans to do anymore mainline RPGs after 4, at least Online Episodes 1-3 and Universe with its expansion and the handheld games carried on some kind of legacy as having single-player RPG alternatives. Really made those games stand out compared to most MMOs out on the market.

Dead and buried, where it belongs. PSO blue burst is still going on private servers however, and is a much better game. It's just classic PSO +expansions, so it's as close as you're going to get to perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    Dead and buried, where it belongs. PSO blue burst is still going on private servers however, and is a much better game. It's just classic PSO +expansions, so it's as close as you're going to get to perfect.
    I never got to play PSOBB. Is there a stable, long-going private server that you'd recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Kantalope View Post
    I never got to play PSOBB. Is there a stable, long-going private server that you'd recommend?
    SCHTSERV and ephinea are still going I believe. A lot of private servers have some issues however, so I mainly still play pso+ on my wii. I still split screen with friends now and then, still just a great game. Just can't recommend it enough, and I didnt even play the originals.
    Blue burst is pso+ with a new map and new enemies, quests, items, etc. Improved textures and stuff too. I hop on ephinea now and then when I get lonely in + wandering ragol solo.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i hated 4 for one simple reason....the fricking flashing lights whenever a monster dies or you cast a spell. i had to stop playing about 5 hours in because i was afraid it was gonna trigger my epilepsy. seriously sega. normally i don't have issues playing video games but for some reason sega thought it would be hilarious if phantasy star 4 had seizure inducing graphical effects.
    I don't have epilepsy but have also come to dislike flashing. Ff1 had a lot of that too.

Man....I really miss PSO...

I spent soooo many hours on the GameCube version of the game. Wouldn't mind if Sega remastered PSO Vol1/2 for a modern gen....maybe a PC port besides BB.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.