Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

will there ever be another LOTR-level movie?

there hasn't been anything that comes even close to LOTR in cinema for the past 15 years.

will there ever be another LOTR-level movie/trilogy?

15 years? Are you skipping the Hobbit series? Or do you mean LOTR-level, but not LOTR
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2017-03-04 at 03:21 AM.

I recently rewatched the entire thing and thought that i liked "The Hobbit" more than the older trilogy (please don't kill me), the only thing that comes to mind for me in the same scale would be if Cameron made "Avatar" justice with the supposed 4 sequels.

What is the "LOTR level" ? And what are you using to limit your opinion by ?

I'd say the Marvel & Star Wars franchises exceed the LOTR level if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post

Marvel I don't think counts, because it's not one long story strung together with fine acting, a compelling, story, with some nice fight scenes. They are mostly action movies with so so stories.

Star Wars probably is probably closest to being LOTR level(if not equal to). Though with them pumping out so many movies(every 2 years right?), we could get numb to them pretty quick.

I remember listening to a movie pundit who said Return of the King might be the movie that gets the most things most right or something along those lines. Indeed, no movie has managed to get as much combined success with critics, the box office, the audience and the awards as Lord of the Rings.

Under the reasoning that given enough time, an occurrence that is not 100% impossible is bound to happen, I will have to say yes, somebody will make a movie or trilogy or whatever that manages to knock it out of the park as much or even more than LOTR, but it hasn't happened yet. Also heard some movie pundits speculate that nobody tried to do what LOTR did because it was so successful they didn't even bother, besides half-hearted attempts like Eragon and Narnia maybe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Harry Potter says hello. Unless you're looking only at trilogies.
    "It is not wise to judge others based on your own preconceptions or by their appearances."

Harry Potter, Star Wars... I mena hell, the marvel universe could be argued unless you want to knitpick over a single overarching story that beats you over the head at every juncture that trivializes all the 'minor' stories also transpiring at the same time.

edit:

Lotr had 3 movies telling one story while marvel took the time to basically give 'gandalf', 'Boromir', 'Aragorn', and each and every hobbit a movie deal.

But in reality we don't get to see the real reason gandalf did shit the way he did or why he kept having to be everywhere else EXCEPT where the plot was for most of the trilogy.
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2017-03-04 at 03:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doubtful only because I feel like the internet is getting more cynical.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

marvel? if you like mass produced piles of shit, maybe.

and no, op. i doubt there will. modern movies just aren't as good as the older stuff. from 2008ish onward, movies have been basically shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    15 years? Are you skipping the Hobbit series? Or do you mean LOTR-level, but not LOTR
    Hobbit was nowhere near as good as the LotR movies were.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    Harry Potter, Star Wars... I mena hell, the marvel universe could be argued unless you want to knitpick over a single overarching story that beats you over the head at every juncture that trivializes all the 'minor' stories also transpiring at the same time.

edit:

Lotr had 3 movies telling one story while marvel took the time to basically give 'gandalf', 'Boromir', 'Aragorn', and each and every hobbit a movie deal.

But in reality we don't get to see the real reason gandalf did shit the way he did or why he kept having to be everywhere else EXCEPT where the plot was for most of the trilogy.
    I may be remembering LotR wrong, but wasn't Gandalf present for the entire trilogy save for a period of time that was explained in The Two Towers?

Better question, will we ever see another LOTR-level book series? HP was great in it's own right, but LOTR has been a timeless classic that truly defined that genre. Maybe HP will get there someday, but it seems to have faded a bit with the upcoming generation.

Fuck, now I want to read them again. Damnit.

There are tons of films vastly superior to LOTR.

LOTR lacks a villain that is worthy of its heroes quest. The Ring Wraiths are just Imperial Stormtroopers. They run around looking scary but never accomplish anything in the story. The Balrog just falls into a chasm and is killed by Gandalf, who dies but then gets stupidly resurrected so it doesn't count. Orcs are worse than imperial stormtroopers, more like battle droids. Sauron himself is hampered and impaired, unable to do anything but scream at his bumbling minions. Sauron gets outwitted and doesn't see where the ring is until its too late. Even then, Gollum saved the ring so Sauron should have WON, but then Iluvatar steps in at the last second and pushed Gollum into the lava. So we wrap it up with the worst Deus Ex Machina ever as Iluvatar is LITERALLY GOD stepping into the story and rewriting the outcome at the end.

The ONLY way I can justify LOTR being a good and interesting story is if you consider that Iluvatar is actually EVIL. You see, there is a question put to the Christian god about why does he allow suffering? Only an evil God would allow sentient beings to suffer needlessly. The answer is that it is ok because the reward is ETERNAL life in heaven. So when you think about it, the 80 years you spend on Earth suffering is a blink of an eye compared to ETERNAL happiness after it is over.

In the Tolkien mythology, there is no offer of ETERNAL happiness on the table from Iluvatar. That changes the bargain. Now, you suffer on Arda and who knows what awaits you afterwards. The Hague would probably rule that this is cruel and unusual punishment and a war crime. The Hague would find that Iluvatar is a brutal and evil god.

Which he is.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post

edit:

While i love star wars lets not pretend they are amazing stories or well acted. Marvel/harry potter are all average stories and generally poorly acted (there are exceptions).

- - - Updated - - -

Marvel movies are average at best. Some terrible. Star Wars movies are fun but recently the make by committee and inclusion of certain characters bug me.

Finn for example is tye worst character. Terribly acted and annoying every time he is on screen and has a stupid back story.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    While i love star wars lets not pretend they are amazing stories or well acted. Marvel/harry potter are all average stories and generally poorly acted (there are exceptions).
    I never said they were amazing or well acted. Just on the level of LOTR.

You actually quoted me asking what "LOTR level" was referring to. Personally, I found more faults with the LOTR franchise than the Harry Potter franchise, and well... HARRY POTTER. Gimme a break.

So if we're gonna be debating movies based on acting quality, then why not specify that ?

If we're debating them based on the budget, or the age of the source material, or the pointiness of certain character's ears... or w/e.

I think its just one of those franchises that's "in its prime" because of the age of certain fans at the time of the Live Action releases. Once they get older and get a more varied viewing history under their belt, they'll realize there's not all that much to them.

I never said they were amazing or well acted. Just on the level of LOTR.

You actually quoted me asking what "LOTR level" was referring to. Personally, I found more faults with the LOTR franchise than the Harry Potter franchise, and well... HARRY POTTER. Gimme a break.

So if we're gonna be debating movies based on acting quality, then why not specify that ?

If we're debating them based on the budget, or the age of the source material, or the pointiness of certain character's ears... or w/e.

I think its just one of those franchises that's "in its prime" because of the age of certain fans at the time of the Live Action releases. Once they get older and get a more varied viewing history under their belt, they'll realize there's not all that much to them.
    Harry Potter books and movies are both far inferior to LoTR .

What would ypu like to discuss them on?

It's such a subjective topic. I found LOTR movies to be too long and at times very dull.

Something that bugged me about LotR... the movies do a very poor job of impressing the importance of some characters. That Balrog that killed Gandalf in Moria? Yeah that thing was like the equivalent of any top 5 worst things in the universe. Also, Gandalf is basically the Goku of middle Earth (would say superman but he dies and comes back and doens't have some stupid weakness that every villain holds.

Honestly, I doubt we'll ever see something on lotr's "level" cause I don't see anyone footing the bill to get location and props or proper actors/actresses on anything that oculd remotely be worth it. I could see something like The Dark Tower maybe working... Or The Wheel of Time (if they ever get off their asses sitting on the IP and do more than just a single dialogue scene for it) but it wouldn't be an original work cause for some reason people are afraid of that shit these days.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    Harry Potter books and movies are both far inferior to LoTR .

What would ypu like to discuss them on?
    word count? is it necessary to provide backstory on every twig and tree branch? Tolkien provided an apendix for every stone that was found lodged between Sam's toes as he carried Frodo up the mountain...

10+ Year Old Account
    Thankfully no movie execs come to this forum, hate to give them re-boot ideas.