Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    I know they are doing Episodes, 7, 8, & 9.. Plus Rogue One and I think a Han Solo movie.
    As for the "main" Star Wars movies (7-9) I have no issue with those.
    The in-between films.. I don't really count. But I can see how they are muddying the water.
    According to this Bobba Fett is also getting his own movie. Looking at their release charts, it's going to be yearly releases, with Bobba Fett 2020 being the last in the batch. But there are rumors of a Obi Wan Kenobi Trilogy. Obviously it all depends how well they are done, maybe yearly releases won't be too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    There are tons of films vastly superior to LOTR.

LOTR lacks a villain that is worthy of its heroes quest. The Ring Wraiths are just Imperial Stormtroopers. They run around looking scary but never accomplish anything in the story. The Balrog just falls into a chasm and is killed by Gandalf, who dies but then gets stupidly resurrected so it doesn't count. Orcs are worse than imperial stormtroopers, more like battle droids. Sauron himself is hampered and impaired, unable to do anything but scream at his bumbling minions. Sauron gets outwitted and doesn't see where the ring is until its too late. Even then, Gollum saved the ring so Sauron should have WON, but then Iluvatar steps in at the last second and pushed Gollum into the lava. So we wrap it up with the worst Deus Ex Machina ever as Iluvatar is LITERALLY GOD stepping into the story and rewriting the outcome at the end.
    How do you figure Iluvatar stepped in and nudged him?

"But Gollum, dancing like a mad thing, held aloft the ring, a finger still thrust within its circle. It shone now as if verily it was wrought of living fire. ‘Precious, precious, precious!’ Gollum cried. ‘My Precious! O my Precious!’ And with that, even as his eyes were lifted up to gloat on his prize, he stepped too far, toppled, wavered for a moment on the brink, and then with a shriek he fell. Out of the depths came his last wail Precious, and he was gone."

The ONLY way I can justify LOTR being a good and interesting story is if you consider that Iluvatar is actually EVIL. You see, there is a question put to the Christian god about why does he allow suffering? Only an evil God would allow sentient beings to suffer needlessly. The answer is that it is ok because the reward is ETERNAL life in heaven. So when you think about it, the 80 years you spend on Earth suffering is a blink of an eye compared to ETERNAL happiness after it is over.
    Not to be contrary, but I don't see how Iluvatar's motivations impact the movie one way or the other.

In the Tolkien mythology, there is no offer of ETERNAL happiness on the table from Iluvatar. That changes the bargain. Now, you suffer on Arda and who knows what awaits you afterwards. The Hague would probably rule that this is cruel and unusual punishment and a war crime. The Hague would find that Iluvatar is a brutal and evil god.
    Valinor (a.k.a. the Undying Lands) says hi.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    Something that bugged me about LotR... the movies do a very poor job of impressing the importance of some characters. That Balrog that killed Gandalf in Moria? Yeah that thing was like the equivalent of any top 5 worst things in the universe. Also, Gandalf is basically the Goku of middle Earth (would say superman but he dies and comes back and doens't have some stupid weakness that every villain holds.

Honestly, I doubt we'll ever see something on lotr's "level" cause I don't see anyone footing the bill to get location and props or proper actors/actresses on anything that oculd remotely be worth it. I could see something like The Dark Tower maybe working... Or The Wheel of Time (if they ever get off their asses sitting on the IP and do more than just a single dialogue scene for it) but it wouldn't be an original work cause for some reason people are afraid of that shit these days.
    This is where having Marvel-like origin movies would help understanding, but then the argument would be, would it actually help the scope and story of the movie.

Balrogs have been killed by both elves (e.g. Glorfindel) and humans (e.g. Tuor).

Then you have the fact that balrogs and Gandalf were both Maiar (lesser angels). Balrogs were corrupted by Melkor (fallen Vala, or greater angel), and Gandalf being one of 5 Maiar sent be the other Vala to help correct Melkor's corruption. So at a minimum it would seem to put balrogs and Gandalf on a similar power level.

That said, does knowing that help or hurt the movie in the grand scheme?

What is an "LOTR-level" movie?

As epics, they don't even punch in the same weight class as the likes of Lawrence of Arabia & Waterloo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    Marvel movies are average at best. Some terrible.
    This may be your opinion, which is fine of course.

However, Marvel's films and television shows have averaged a collective 85% or 8.5 out of 10 from critics and a 83% or 8.3 out of 10 from audiences.

The average film score among aggregate sites, test audiences, focus groups and print publication is a 6.0-6.5 or 6.0/6.5 out of 10.

Marvel's films are collectively above average by every industry and metric used to judge and appraise film outside of award ceremony. Your claim, though I am aware it is just your opinion, is totally foolish and erroneous.

The Lord of the Rings franchise averaged a 79% (7.9 out of 10) from critics and 86% (8.6 out of 10) from audiences.

Star Wars averages 80% from critics (8.0 out of 10) and 80% from audiences (8.0 out of 10).
    Last edited by Fencers; 2017-03-07 at 02:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathpath View Post
    I wish Warcraft would have been on the scale of LotR. Length and less cgi would have done it justice.
    LoTR used fake sets, fake swords, fake armor, etc. Just as fake and unreal as CGI.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This may be your opinion, which is fine of course.

However, Marvel's films and television shows have averaged a collective 85% or 8.5 out of 10 from critics and a 83% or 8.3 out of 10 from audiences.

The average film score among aggregate sites, test audiences, focus groups and print publication is a 6.0-6.5 or 6.0/6.5 out of 10.

Marvel's films are collectively above average by every industry and metric used to judge and appraise film outside of award ceremony. Your claim, though I am aware it is just your opinion, is totally foolish and erroneous.
    But.. You've just confirmed his point, that the movies are average. I don't even.
    Hi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    What is the "LOTR level" ? And what are you using to limit your opinion by ?

I'd say the Marvel & Star Wars franchises exceed the LOTR level if anything.
    I was bored by superhero movies ages ago... somewhere around the time of Ironman2.. I recently tried again with Avengers but I still feel the same... hero-fatigue.. Star Wars was already LOTR level before LOTR was made so that isn't a good comparison.. The Matrix was on the same level a few years earlier, only the first movie however.. they should have never cashed in with 2 and 3.. so those sequels can be ignored.

Guess we have to wait until they make a truly breath taking experience again... maybe if they ever make a trilogy out of the Dune IP and do it justice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    LotR was a decent adaptation of the books. It was also incredibly boring for much of the film as Peter Jackson seemed to want to make travel videos almost as much as LotR films.
    Fellowship of the ring is the best movie out the entire trilogy BECAUSE it is slower paced, devotes more time for character development... If you think that is boring I wonder about your age (not meant as a insult, just curious).

I doubt an LOTR caliber movie will ever be made again. Peter Jackson could make the Silmarillion but the Tolkien estate is pissed at him. I thought the hobbit and lotr movies were better than the books. Hollywood makes a lot of crappy movies. The warcraft movie spent about the same amount of money to make as the hobbit movies and it was pretty crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    But.. You've just confirmed his point, that the movies are average. I don't even.
    The average audience rating is a 6. Marvel's films are averaging an 8.5/8.3.

LoTR is such a masterpiece, the Hobbit felt really cheap in comparison. It doesn't look like there's any books in the pipeline, which could potentially rival LoTR if it turned movie.

And my god.. To see people compare LoTR to Marvel's trash, LOL

Star Wars, Harry Potter.....

There are also a ton of fantasy epics out there that have never been adapted to film, they just need a big studio willing to drop down some serious cash for the production costs.

I dont know about the movies, but i wonder if we will get something that equals the books(or the whole world JRRT created) in this century

I'm looking on metacritic and don't see Marvel's films and TV shows averaging anywhere near 8.5/10... 85% fresh means 85% of reviewers thought it was better than it was bad, that's about it.
    If you tabulate Metacritic's scoring alone for the films; Marvel's films are at 68%. Still above the average of films.

The average Metacritic score for films is around 52%-57% depending on year. I average the scores of the last 100 films scored from 2014-2016.

Marvel's films are still above this average.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The average audience rating is a 6. Marvel's films are averaging an 8.5/8.3.
    Haha! In what world does the Marvel movies have an average rating of over 8? Have you seen the previous work?

Hint: Man-thing is at what, 4.1. Hulk at 5.7. Incredible Hulk at 6.8. The Punisher at 6.5 and so on. Several movies that drags the score way, way down below 8.

Give me a break.

Somewhat off-topic: I sure hope people aren't looking at RT for audience 'reviews'.
    Hi

Deleted
    No, I think spending 30%+ of the screen time on characters walking is boring. Maybe you should have stopped and thought about it. I specifically talked about Jackson wanting to make a travel video. He did that with sweeping helicopter shots of locations as people walked through them... for about 30% of the total run time of the three films.
    But I loved those sweeping shots that showed Middle Earth. It gave a sense of time, movement, journey... It's like the good Star Trek episodes. When they are moving from planet to planet and they actually devote time to the travel part it works a lot better than, for example in the last movie they leave with the USS Kelvin they restored from the planet to defend the space station and it cuts from leaving to arriving for more action.. I WANT those slower moments. The moments that make the world more alive, that have time for character development, that show the effort. If all I wanted is non stop action I'd just watch a Marvel flick (which I don't)..

- - - Updated - - -

Most people only include films released since Iron Man when they're talking specifically about Marvel films in this context. They still only average about a 7.1 on RT from critics though.
    You can prove anything with statistics if you set criteria that make sure to match your desired outcome..

Quote Originally Posted by Barnfargen View Post
    It's such a subjective topic. I found LOTR movies to be too long and at times very dull.
    I feel the same too, never cared much about LOTR. The whole plot about having to walk all that to toss a ring is ok but seriously why the fuck didn't they just ride the dam gryphons there that flew them out of there in the first place... Did they have to earn toss the ring in the volcano achievement before they could use flying mounts or what.

The Warcraft movie had such potential to be the next LOTR, but completely blew it. The only other movies that come close to its level are the Star Wars movies.

If you mean on the scale of such a spectacular and massive trilogy being shot at the same time then i doubt it. I think you will be hard pushed to find a better addition to the fantasy genre for quite some time imho.

In 70~ years when silmarillion rights will be open there will be something like lotr.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Around 10,000 prosthetic facial appliances, over 3,500 pairs of Hobbit feet, 2 500 foam body suits, 1,200 suits of armour, 2,000 weapons and 10,000 arrows were made for the Lord of The Rings trilogy.
    You look through all the behind-the-scenes of the original LotR trilogy and see the true passion and amount of work put into them feeling so alive and genuine, from hundreds/thousands of sets of costumes, weapons, and use of real animals, real locations. By contrast The Hobbit just felt like a CGI showcase. It didn't feel real or physical at all. Even as someone that would absolutely love to work with 3D CGI in movies or games in the future, there's no doubt that when you replace so much with CGI, the movies loses a bit of its soul.

So... no, I think we've gone so far in technology that it'll from now on pretty much always be cheaper, faster and more practical to use CGI to build the world around the actors... but it's pretty sad to see.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.