Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What spec should I level as? What's quickest?

I'm leveling a priest for an alt and I'm wondering what the best spec is? I've bought a few 835s pieces off the AH and have tried all three specs. Is it quicker to level as holy, disc, or shadow?

And how did you do it?

Deleted
    Probably shadow with Misery and LotV in that case.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rulee View Post
    Is it quicker to level as holy, disc, or shadow?

And how did you do it?
    Shadow is by default supposed to be faster, simply because it's an actual dps spec, and it's also what I used. BUT...

If you know how to Disc, do it.

Shadow by a long shot. Use the conslegion addon as well and you'll be set!

How do you normally play your alt? Is this from 100? Do you intend to do any dungeons (if so, are you allergic to waiting for dps queues)?

I mostly healer and thus leveled as a healing because shadow is a long ramp damage over time spec (patched to a slightly slower ramp than launch). Shadow is also squishy and doesn't do well at low gear levels. Since I don't shadow much, I didn't shadow level. I did holy (apotheosis = dps cooldown while leveling), and holy has aoe. If something won't die inside of one apotheosis for elites, you are probably better off discipline (which cannot die). I do my world quests split between holy and discipline (depending on single target vs. aoe and how much pvp is happening - disc for pvp).

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I leveled as shadow from 100-103 in heroic HFC gear, cursed a bit at how much I had to stop and heal myself all the time and feel stressed about not wasting insanity, swapped to disc and leveled the rest of the way - much more pleasant. That was at the start of the expansion though, not sure how 7.1.5 affected shadow leveling.

Shadow may be technically quicker but Disc is so hassle free, unless you mass pull you will basically take no damage and be able to keep constantly rolling from one mob to the next

I'm leveling as shadow and I've not had any issues. Try to pull 3 or more mobs pertaining to your quest to make it even faster. Disc and shadow single target while questing feels the same to me. But disc lacks in AoE compared to shadow, so if you can pull 3+ mobs (the more the merrier), multi dot all, get to void form and explode for damage. Survivability isn't an issue, if I notice my health bar drop below 90% I'll start using PW:S on cd for myself and if it really gets tough I'll use vampiric embrace.

As far as talents

15: I find you get the most use out of twist of fate. Although fortress of mind might be okay.

30: Body and soul for me, although mania is probably good.

45: Mind bomb helps with AoE pulling and survivability. 4 second stun.

60: I chose reaper of Souls. I dont feel the other two get as much use when things die so fast.

75: I chose San'layn, it helps in survivability and damage. AS is okay, but I feel you get more mileage out of San'layn.

90: Misery definitely. The other two are no competition when things die so fast.Especially when pulling 3+ things, you're spending half the GCD than either of the other talents.

100: Legacy of the void I think gets the most use here. Shadow crash is probably okay if you aren't getting much use out of legacy, but that shouldn't be the case.

Which one did you find most fun? Play that one.

Deleted
    I leveled to 110 as Disc, Sure the mobs take a little bit longer to burn down but i rarely died due to the survivability Disc has.

What spec are you going to play at 110? Level with that one for the practice.

I really had no issue with dying as shadow. So i recommend that, but I heard disc is also nice.

What talents do people recommend as disc?

Leveling/world questing talents as healer

Discipline (assuming no pvp complications, if pvp server, take some more healing/defensive oriented talents) - Schism, Mindbender, Divine star, Purge the wicked.

Holy (Censure, Light of the Naaru, Divine star, Apotheosis). If there is someone of your faction around, cast renew on them and steal a share of their tags....

Either way, get a bodyguard as soon as possible (preferably a dps bodyguard).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    What talents do people recommend as disc?
    Schism, divine star (worth using for single target as well), purge the wicked, twist of fate.

<100 Holy
    >100 Shadow

Most leveling is done via dungeons.
    Shadow cant AoE, especially in low level dungeons
    When it comes time to level in content that actually lives for more than a few seconds, you want to move over to shadow.

Anyone suggesting Holy/Disc for 100-110 leveling are insane.

Deleted
    Quickest, you ask? - Shadow. Hands down. Just use PW:S when pulling a lot of mobs and if you really need it, you can heal with shadow mend.

I leveled as holy though No idea why. AoE with holy nova spam was nice (but nerfed now), but single target damage was awful.

Definitely level shadow questing, you can go holy or disc and heal through low lvl dungeons

Mind Bomb - Misery - Shadow Crash.
    Dot 4-5 targets, wait till they are next to you, Mind Bomb -> Shadow Crash, SW-D the last dotted mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Schism, divine star (worth using for single target as well), purge the wicked, twist of fate.
    Why twist of fate ? You really have to put yourself at low HP in order to benefit from it. I feel like the other talents are far better for leveling / world quest. Twist of fate is only useful in dungeons and providing you healed someone at low HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicymemer View Post
    Anyone suggesting Holy/Disc for 100-110 leveling are insane.
    Speak for youself I've leveled as disc because shadow was hardly better at dps while being way more fragile. It was even worse in Suramar.
    Last edited by Raiz; 2017-03-24 at 10:29 PM.