GTX 1080 to GTX 1080ti

Some people in my family are saying that money is burning a hole in my pocket because I am contemplating selling my water cooled gtx 1080 and getting ti version. What do you guys think? Will I notice a gaming difference at 1440p 165hz? I mainly play Overwatch at it already runs around 140fps. But it does look like Ti version is 35% faster (although no real benchmarks yet). But I do have an ich to upgrade

Waste of money on my part?

15+ Year Old Account
    Yep, waste of money.

Overwatch is a fairly low demanding game. And if you are already running it at 1440p 140fps, then you will see exactly zero benefit from the 1080ti.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

If you're not planning to play at 4k going from 1080 to 1080 ti is 100% waste of money especially on a low demanding game such as overwatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Isheria View Post
    If you're not planning to play at 4k going from 1080 to 1080 ti is 100% waste of money especially on a low demanding game such as overwatch.
    Why do people keep saying Overwatch is such a low demanding game, it looks amazing, better than most any other game. I play battlefield 1 occasionally and gears of war 4, and I mean they are nothing close. Same for doom.

Anyways back to topic, I have an amazing 1440p monitor, and the only way I am thinking would be worth to upgrade is to 144hz 4K, which 1080ti won't run anyways. But I WAS hoping to maybe get additional FPS from it right now, from 140 to 165, but I am not even sure if it's my CPU (6700k@4.6) that limits to 140 or indeed ti is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Isheria View Post
    Not sure I would call overwatch low demanding as it puts a decent usage on my graphic cards and I've got 2x 980 ti, but I'm playing 1080 and not 1440, get like 280-300 fps if I don't cap it though.
    Last edited by Moratori; 2017-03-06 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warrdaddy View Post
    Why do people keep saying Overwatch is such a low demanding game
    Because a 750ti can max the game out at 1080p and stay above 60 FPS. It's just not a very demanding game.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1180-...rks/page2.html

At 1440p, even my 960 can almost maintain 60 FPS:
    http://www.techspot.com/review/1180-...rks/page3.html

If a 960 can handle it with 60FPS at 1440p, it's not a very demanding game.

For reference sake, here's the 960 playing a bunch of other games, most not even at Ultra presets, and it can't get over 60 FPS in those games at 1080p:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...60,4038-4.html

Yet at 1440p in Overwatch it handles 60 just fine. That's the very definition of a low demanding game.

After saying it's not demanding, you go on to say it looks amazing. You do realize that just because it looks amazing, does not mean it's demanding. The 2 do not always go hand in hand.

15+ Year Old Account
    Dont do it, your a full blown retard if you do its a waste of money!! /sarcasm

My advice is...If you want it buy it, if you can afford it get it. Is it better? Of course it is, 25-35% better. So if you ever plan on going 4k say in a year when they drop the retarded prices of 4K monitors you'll be smiling.

Would I do it, no. If I was contemplating going to 4k in the future I would wait and see what VC were available when it came time. But that's my opinion, hell I thionk a 1080 OP anyway, but...that is my opinion.

Asking for buying advice on a forum isn't the wisest choice. You will get 100 opinions from people that don't care what you think.

Another thing to consider, waiting to sell yours in 6mo to a year will only lower its value so you would get more for it now, its just a thought but remember they are dropping the prices on 1080s to $499 retail, so is it worth the $200 or extra now to get a Ti. Only you know the answer to that.

See what I did there. I told you with reasons, why. Not just "You dont need it its a waste" and again, its my opinion, not gospel.

Edit: And Lathias did the same. He gave you reasons. Good post.
    Last edited by moremana; 2017-03-06 at 06:11 PM.

Looks like gonna be huge deltas between 1080 and 1080ti. I would wait on reviews and then go 1080ti. I am upgrading from a 980ti. Going from 90fps to 144fps at 1440p for many games would be a huge upgrade and a bigger upgrade than most users will ever experience going between console generations ever again.

Edited: I mean to say that it feels like Nvidia wanted to make a point with the 1080ti because of a lot of the hype surrounding team Red lately. Everyone expected the 1080ti to be a cut down titanx, and from the specs it almost feels like the titanx is a cut down 1080ti. The deltas they say will be 35% but as many have speculated the stats on the card may actually make that an under-representation of how well the card performs. We shall see this week. Having your consumer flagship card get a big brother that is 35% more powerful is a big jump in computing power and changes your rig from real good to omnipotent graphics. 35% is night and day.

Edited2: Of course, this card isn't just for 4k. 1440p owners who like to turn up the settings and who may game at 144fps will find a lot of useage on this card. There is a big difference in feel when you get up to the 100+ fps and being able to maintain that is important to some. I have experienced some fps drops in Overwatch running at 1440p with everything on max where I felt I had to turn down some things to guarntee max 144fps at all times and that's not even 4k. Granted I only have 980ti, but Overwatch and to a greater extent WoW can look as good as your rig can make them look. There is diminishing returns, but the options to extend visual clarity are there.(in before someone screenshots a skyscape at 400fps on max AA in wow using a oem 760ti)
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2017-03-06 at 08:35 PM.

Will I notice a gaming difference at 1440p 165hz?
    yes and on 4K too

thats what 1080Ti is for

.. of course if you play something more demanding than Overwatch .. just for OW alone dont bother

Quote Originally Posted by warrdaddy View Post
    Why do people keep saying Overwatch is such a low demanding game, it looks amazing, better than most any other game. I play battlefield 1 occasionally and gears of war 4, and I mean they are nothing close. Same for doom.
    then there is problems with your eyes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Of course it is, 25-35% better. So if you ever plan on going 4k say in a year when they drop the retarded prices of 4K monitors you'll be smiling.
    Stop the press! This guy's seen the benchmarks!

you dont need benchmarks

1080Ti ~ Titan XP

Definetely worth it for 1440p 165Hz. But I'd wait at least a month to pick a decent partner card (unless you planning to use a custom waterblock).
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B