Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's about time OLineman got paid correctly. They are such an underrated part of a good team. Bad offensive line play can impact pretty much every facet of your offense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Orrrrrrrrr

"The #Lions deal for former #Packers G TJ Lang: $9.5M average for 3 years with $19M fully guaranteed, source said."

Rapoport

Orrrrrrrrr, it's cause other teams are shelling out crazy money on contracts for O-linemen.

I suspect it's that and not any unwillingness to come to a championship caliber team.
    Detroit matched Seattles offer. Lang chose his hometown. Which tells me the Seahawks planned to remove someone to allocate that money to Lang. They could of counter offered... if you know, they hadn't spent 8m on a bust.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Detroit matched Seattles offer. Lang chose his hometown. Which tells me the Seahawks planned to remove someone to allocate that money to Lang. They could of counter offered... if you know, they hadn't spent 8m on a bust.
    Ahhhh, okay. Well that's odd, though, maybe playing in his hometown weighed more than he was worth. I mean this was already quite the contract, if you had to go beyond this just for him to not sign with his hometown team. Sometimes it's just not in the cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahhhh, okay. Well that's odd, though, maybe playing in his hometown weighed more than he was worth. I mean this was already quite the contract, if you had to go beyond this just for him to not sign with his hometown team. Sometimes it's just not in the cards.
    I just seriously think Tom Cable turns off a lot of guys.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Brocklobster never disappoints it seems. Except on the field, that is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    O'Brien has quite the temper on him tbh. Remember that famous shouting match with Brady on the sidelines when he was the OC in NE?

I wouldn't put the blame just on Osweiller here.

I mean Osweiler threw a fit when he got benched for the corpse of Manning against the Chargers, so not exactly new for him. Kind of backwards he did it for having to play though. You would think he would have wanted to play to prove people wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    This lack of any kind of news about signings is vexing. I know it's Sunday, but come on. Teams have plenty of holes to fill so get on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    This lack of any kind of news about signings is vexing. I know it's Sunday, but come on. Teams have plenty of holes to fill so get on it.
    Hey I know, lets talk about Romo.

10+ Year Old Account
    2nd wave (lol old RBs) is gonna be late. Kinda a bad time right after the combine anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently Butler wants out...

https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/statu...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

(edit: Just found out I passed my boards!)
    Last edited by WskyDK; 2017-03-13 at 03:43 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Going to the Brown's feels like a punishment worth than death.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Yeah, you could kind of bet on that one when Butler (our presumed no. 1 corner, at least was that last year) and the team failed to get an extension done the past year (when they were apparently close) and then BB and Caserio brought in Gilmore on the kind of contract Butler wanted.

Butler overplayed his hand in negotiations this year and I personally think BB and Caserio just moved on. I doubt either party is very interested in Butler playing under his tender this year (though it could happen) so the more likely scenario is Butler getting his contract elsewhere and the Patriots cashing a first round pick or Butler being forced to sign his tender late April and the Patriots trading him at some point, maybe before the draft, maybe in the summer when a team loses their no. 1 corner and needs desperate help.

There's always the chance the Patriots and Butler can make peace and he'll play under his tender this year and go to the free market next year, but as I said I think the Patriots just moved on and Butler wants to get paid right now and not next year. Those 2 motivations likely don't lead to Butler being in NE in the fall.

It sucks though cause he was a vital cog in 2 Superbowl winning teams, but in the end no one is bigger than the team in New England and if BB/Caserio put a number on you then that's that, either take it and be a Patriot or good luck elsewhere.

Much the same is true for Hightower right now, I think. He seems fairly desperate to get Jamie Collins/Luke Keuchly type guaranteed money and it seems teams are not really willing to give it to him. If that means he's willing to play on a rebuilding Jets team just to get his guarantees then BB/Caserio will hold the door for him and shake his hand on the way out.

I'm holding out hope that Hightower likes winning too much to give the Jets a realistic shot though and will return to NE after his visit with the Jets on Monday.

(edit: Just found out I passed my boards!)
    Gratz!

10+ Year Old Account
    Butler has a 1st round tender in a DB loaded draft. While Butler is proven talent, system also plays into it. It'll be interesting if someone takes the tender and who. If NE isn't eager to get him locked up in a year where they had lots of free money rolling into it and with DB contracts inflating every year, it makes me think hes a product of the system.... like Maxwell was for us.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get why he's digging his heels though, he's set to become a UFA at 28 when most teams are looking at twilight-ing their DB's. This is realistically his only time to lock in a 3-4 year contract.

- - - Updated - - -

Man. Contract time in New England must be pretty humbling. You'll know in no uncertain terms exactly what they think you're worth.

Edit: A little old, but an interesting article about the relation between age and production for defensive players
    Last edited by WskyDK; 2017-03-13 at 07:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Butler has a 1st round tender in a DB loaded draft. While Butler is proven talent, system also plays into it. It'll be interesting if someone takes the tender and who. If NE isn't eager to get him locked up in a year where they had lots of free money rolling into it and with DB contracts inflating every year, it makes me think hes a product of the system.... like Maxwell was for us.
    Nah, I think Butler is a legit corner, can handle some man to man, can handle zone. Feisty dude, comes to work, tackles well. He'd do well in a variety of systems.

Players leaving New England tend to not do as well, but interestingly enough the 2 best examples that *did* are both DB's (Aqib Talib and a midlevel corner called Butler who played for the Colts).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    I get why he's digging his heels though, he's set to become a UFA at 28 when most teams are looking at twilight-ing their DB's. This is realistically his only time to lock in a 3-4 year contract.

- - - Updated - - -

Man. Contract time in New England must be pretty humbling. You'll know in no uncertain terms exactly what they think you're worth.

Edit: A little old, but an interesting article about the relation between age and production for defensive players
    Butler's problem is one of his own doing. If he hadn;t gotten kicked out of college, he would have 1) been done with college a year earlier 2) actually been drafted and increased his first contract value.

Right now he;s basically entering the 4th year of his rookie contract. He has no one to blame for the situation he is in but himself.

He knew coming in that what is currently happening is the most likely BEST scenario for his career. He just has to get through this final year of his rookie contract and get paid next year OR he should have signed the extension the Patriots tried to work out with him last year.

If he's pissy about Gilmore getting 14M a year and being signed as the long term answer before him, then guess what? Should have seen that coming when you are an undrafted free agent still under his first contract and signed the deal the Patriots were offering you. Otherwise you have to do what everyone else in this situation has to do, which is sit out their rookie contracts and get paid after it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Foles headed back to the Eagles for two years

10+ Year Old Account
    WTF is wrong with the Eagles? They realize only one QB can play at a time right? Why do they waste so much money on the position?

- - - Updated - - -

Chargers released Dunlap, if anybody needs a LT thats always hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    WTF is wrong with the Eagles? They realize only one QB can play at a time right? Why do they waste so much money on the position?

- - - Updated - - -

Chargers released Dunlap, if anybody needs a LT thats always hurt.
    Chase Daniel wants to be release, probably why they got Foles.

A LT that is always hurt is better than no LT at all, could see him going to Denver.