10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyenut88 View Post
    Romo will retire and move on to broadcasting-ESPN.
    Great career, but a lot of left behind "What if?"'s. Hope the plan I heard where he's going to replace Phil Simms is true. That would definitely be the best outcome of this all. We'll hear enough about Romo the coming days, but he;s a fascinating story. Undrafted, holds pretty much every Cowboys passing record, polarizing in if he would have been able to get the Cowboys a championship. It's almost a shame that he never won a championship.

Almost.

You also now have to wonder what the Texans are going to do. You have to think they got rid of Osweiller to replace him with somebody, and that Romo was very high on their wish list. And now they'll not have that option.

This could be like the 4th consecutive year where the Texans are a QB away from being a contender and they won't have him on the roster. Texans might legitimately have to start re-building cause their players are getting old without ever having manged to get a competent QB on the roster in their window.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans go with Savage if he can stay healthy. Only other options left really are Cutler and Kaepernick. Whatever way they go is an upgrade to Osweiler though.

Romo is going to CBS, not ESPN. Makes sense ESPN wouldn't have signed him instead, they get rid of their tolerable people. This keeps Romo from possibly hurting himself even more and keeps me from having to mute as many Simms games.
    Last edited by Grube; 2017-04-04 at 04:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you wake up to Simms being replaced by Romo.... its a good day.

10+ Year Old Account
    At least his last play was a touchdown pass against the Eagles.

Then again, with the story changing almost everyday, I'll believe it when I hear it out of his mouth.

The people clamoring for Romo to be an analyst already confuses me, he has never done this before and you are expecting him to be enjoyable week 1? I mean I never got the Simms hate, but I can't imagine he is going to go from a QB to a good broadcaster on the national level with no experience.

And thats even if he does retire, which considering the sports "journalists" have had sources telling them the cowboys will release him basically every day since the SB was over.

10+ Year Old Account
    You cant really fault the journalists when Jerry basically changes his mind at a whim.

ALso I think Romo would be a good analyst. He knows how to pick something apart and explain it. Did a good job coaching Jerry's grandson in the state football finals!

Ravens trade Jernigan and pick 99 to the Eagles for pick 74. He was good, but sometimes inconsistent and we probably wouldn't be able to re-sign after next season anyway.

No idea if Romo would be any good on TV, but the bar is set so low with guys like Fouts, Collinsworth, Simms and all the d-list crews (Ronde Barber for example) that he probably wouldn't be any worse. As long as he isn't extremely biased, or plug stuff they have financial interest in every chance they get, he would be good relative to the others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Great career, but a lot of left behind "What if?"'s. Hope the plan I heard where he's going to replace Phil Simms is true. That would definitely be the best outcome of this all. We'll hear enough about Romo the coming days, but he;s a fascinating story. Undrafted, holds pretty much every Cowboys passing record, polarizing in if he would have been able to get the Cowboys a championship. It's almost a shame that he never won a championship.

Almost.

You also now have to wonder what the Texans are going to do. You have to think they got rid of Osweiller to replace him with somebody, and that Romo was very high on their wish list. And now they'll not have that option.

This could be like the 4th consecutive year where the Texans are a QB away from being a contender and they won't have him on the roster. Texans might legitimately have to start re-building cause their players are getting old without ever having manged to get a competent QB on the roster in their window.
    Romo is a winner, he carried that team for so long. My only "what if's" are what if they drafted better, didn't make stupid trades like the Detroit Roy Williams WR, didn't overspend in free agency. He took a punishment early in his career with a bad line and covered a bunch of holes for Dallas.
    "The Russians can't beat us at anything--they can't even feed themselves." Woody Hayes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    I mean I never got the Simms hate
    Thats baffling, he is probably the worst broadcaster on television. At least for national tv.

I should say, he was the worst.
    Last edited by draynay; 2017-04-04 at 10:00 PM.

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Simms has gotten worse the last few years which I think is what a lot of people really remember. He wasn't always terrible. Not saying he was great, but he wasn't awful. That being said, happy to see someone else with Nantz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I was *just* going to link that. Seems fairly obvious now that he's not going to change his mind or not go through with this, even if the Texans would call.

- - - Updated - - -

not sure how I missed this, but apparently the NFL had another potentially HUGE announcement today: https://theringer.com/amazon-nfl-dea...am-b2ddb2a43b0

Amazon is going to take over from Twitter and stream 10 games online this season. This is pretty much what I expected to happen last year, that Netflix or HBO would get the rights that Twitter ended up with. This year it;s Amazon that takes over, and that's FAR more landscape changing then it being on twitter.

Amazon has already got a serious streaming service, so they are much better equipped to go from just doing this on a one year deal for only 10 games to potentially making a grab and getting the rights to stream everything, every day there's football and *finally* making serious headway in breaking the current bullshit status quo where you have to pay cable companies through the nose to see games and then have to contend with what THEY want you to see, instead of being able to watch the Patriots in Denver, should you be a Patriots fan in Denver.

Now, I'm perfectly happy with my sub to the NFL streaming service, but if Amazon were to start streaming things, I would have no problems with switching to them. It would mean I have access to more than just football then and it would potentially be cheaper too (depending on how Amazon monetizes it).

Now, having a company as big and monopoly-ish as Amazon get the rights to football could mean we get the same old squeeze, but just from a different source, but, at this point I think I'd rather see what is behind this door then continue to have football be held hostage like it currently is by cable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Amazon has a streaming service?

How is it compared to Netfix or Hulu?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Amazon has a streaming service?

How is it compared to Netfix or Hulu?
    Much better than Hulu, about on par with netflix.

I'm glad amazon got the rights. Twitter streaming was fucking useless in a tiny fucking window. Hopefully they do better.

10+ Year Old Account
    amazon could put NFL football on smart tvs or anything with a firestick, thats a big step

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of fans are predicting Cutler goes to Houston. But Tom Savage started a few games last season, so I say the Texans will just stick to him and maybe try to get a steal in the draft.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hated Romo at the beginning when the media was gushing over him and he had hardly done anything yet. Then once everyone turned on him I appreciated him more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pat McAfee (probably told by Marquette King) reported that Marshawn Lynch was at the Raiders' facility today, nfl.com video http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ds-to-unretire