15+ Year Old Account

Got a brand new HD...trouble formatting...

So my old Seagate 3TB drive died (and I later learned that they have notoriously high failure rates) anyways I decided to get a new 3TB drive...this time I got a Toshiba (can provide more specific information on the model if anyone wants it). I'm installing it and I decide to do a full format using Windows disk management tool...and this thing is SLOW. It took about 2 hours in it get to 38%, but at 38% it just seemed to freeze completely. I let it go another 2 hours at 38% before I just cancelled the format.

What the fudge? This is a brand new drive and already giving me problems...is this natural to take this long? Should I try using a different program to do this? Should I just give up on a full format and go for a quick format? I'm trying the full format again right now (currently at 5%), but if it hangs at 38% again I'd like to know what else I can do.

It's normal. The bigger the drive the longer it takes. The OS needs to set the file system on your drive. Quick format is a different thing, it just deletes the tables that hold the data location on the drive, it doesn't really delete any of your files.

If you continue to have trouble I'd go for a quick format and then a "Verify" surface scan with something like HDDScan. That'll make sure the entire drive is readable and writable even with the quick format. Odd that it hung at 38%.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    If you continue to have trouble I'd go for a quick format and then a "Verify" surface scan with something like HDDScan. That'll make sure the entire drive is readable and writable even with the quick format. Odd that it hung at 38%.
    Wouldn't the integrity of the drive be compromised if you cancel halfway through a full format which is physically formatting tracks to the disc and not just writing data to the tracks that are already there?

You're not changing the physical characteristics of the drive when you do a full format. A quick format just deletes the file table without erasing the drive's contents, while a full format does a full drive write to erase the existing file and folder structure. The data is still recoverable, though not nearly as easily as after a quick format, but the full drive write will hang if there is a bad sector or damage on the disk.

If OP's drive is consistently hanging on a full format at the same spot it points to a bad drive. Trying an alternate verification method would confirm this.
    Super casual.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just thought I'd update this thread...after I posted here I tried another full format and thankfully it completed without a hitch. No hangs. Now I've put a bunch of shit on it and so far no issues, but I will be watching it closely...