Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    It is going to get better over time which can't be said about humans.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

You know, they don't have to be perfect. They just have to beat humans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    You know, they don't have to be perfect. They just have to beat humans.
    Even then, people will be stuck in their ways.

Are we willing to accept 5,000 traffic deaths per year caused by robots, when the other option is 10,000 traffic deaths per year caused by humans?

At some point, we're going to need to make that decision. And I would imagine we will get a great deal of resistance.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    No, they need to convince legislators. That is different than beating humans.
    The one thing more irrational than humans, their elected representatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    The one thing more irrational than humans, their elected representatives.
    Unfortunately you're right. Change can be scary for them especially since they likely do not want their name attached to something that will kill people, at that point it doesn't matter how many lives that technology potentially saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    How are we supposed to know the autopilot is on? >.>
    The recovery after the impact seems like a pretty clear indication. That was a pretty solid, angled hit yet the car never left its lane which means some very quick and accurate adjustments were made right after impact. The driver of a car that hits a barrier like that would have to recover from being shaken up from the impact delaying a response, and most people tend to over correct (and then need to recorrect again) after a major swerve. There is also no indication the driver saw the collision coming which, and reacting to a surprise impact will further delay a response. Without auto pilot, the car most likely would have ended up in the other lane potentially escalating the accident significantly.

Luddites are so adorable.

I agree with most of you here, i think that the vehicle recovering from a crash as that was remarkable. i would have thought that the impact sensors would have stopped it from nearing a wall like that. But hey this example could roll out an update for situations like these. All it takes is a some better programming and these cars will far surpass the skill of human drivers in no time.

Anyone have footage of one of the self driving cars blowing a tire?

People against self-driving vehicles today are just like the same types that were against automobiles when they were first introduced, or the ones who thought a steering wheel was dumb when the system of pulleys and levers was already working just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    That, and the fact the previous fog line actually crosses the lane right there. Not even sure how you would program sensors to account for stuff like that.
    You probably don't. I'd imagine it's mostly machine learning.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I know but realistically speaking, it is immaterial how good the technology is. If there are people lobbying against it, they can postpone it for a very long time. And of course conversely if there is enough capital lobbying for it, it can become a reality even before it should be.
    I don't see why the fuck anyone would oppose fully automated cars if it can be proven that they're safer than the average human driver. And I'm fairly certain the one's Google has on the road have already been proven to be waaaay safer than any human driver. Not to mention the benefit of being able to "drunk drive" with fully automated cars. Considering how many fatal accidents are due to drunk driving this would be a huge step forward.

I lol every time someone says shit like "in 5-10 years almost all cars will be self driving!"

Yeah, no. My home pc crashes randomly sometimes, as my smart phone. You want me to trust the life of my family to a glorified PC waiting to BSoD while going 70-75mph??

10+ Year Old Account
    1> The tesla "autopilot" is a driver assist, not a real autopilot. This was driver error.

2> The recovery (which WAS the driver assist) was fantastic.

3> The goal isn't that autopilot systems never crash, the goal is that we can get them to crash less than human drivers. An autopilot system occasionally spectacularly failing and causing a 10-car pileup isn't a mark against the hypothetical autopilot, unless those crashes are occurring at higher rates than with human drivers. No system is going to be error-proof, but neither are people, and people are the benchmark we're measuring against, not perfection.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    I lol every time someone says shit like "in 5-10 years almost all cars will be self driving!"

Yeah, no. My home pc crashes randomly sometimes, as my smart phone. You want me to trust the life of my family to a glorified PC waiting to BSoD while going 70-75mph??
    Sometimes, people "crash". You get distracted and don't pay attention to what you should be. You have a medical complication causing you to pass out or be otherwise unable to control the vehicle. Etc.

To repeat myself; the goal isn't to have a system that "can't crash". Just one that fails less regularly than people do. And that's totally achievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    I don't see why the fuck anyone would oppose fully automated cars if it can be proven that they're safer than the average human driver. And I'm fairly certain the one's Google has on the road have already been proven to be waaaay safer than any human driver. Not to mention the benefit of being able to "drunk drive" with fully automated cars. Considering how many fatal accidents are due to drunk driving this would be a huge step forward.
    Easy answer money, automated cars will devastate a lot of industries from taxis, labor unions to insurance companies. There are a lot of politicians that are being paid good money to make sure these never become a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Because it's not a self-driving car. Not yet.

They plan to eventually make it SAE level 5, which is complete and total automation that drives itself in all conditions, but they're not there yet.
    The cars we have for now are not that bad, you shouldn't be on the razor edge the whole time, just when you see that they're doing road overhaul or see any dangerous situation while driving. It's not like you're just sitting there doing your own job while the car drives from A to B, that could be the case if you were using normal simple roads aka highways without any repairs.

Oh well, never mind then, I thought this was about full autonomous cars

I see no issue here and the driver is still the one to blame.
    Do people REALLY hate autopilot that much?

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Easy answer money, automated cars will devastate a lot of industries from taxis, labor unions to insurance companies. There are a lot of politicians that are being paid good money to make sure these never become a reality.
    LOL taxis... yeah they're doing a really good job fighting Uber.

Major technological advancements like this always put some people out of business. That's just how it is. Still, I feel like automated cars are an inevitability at this point provided the Earth doesn't explode. Fighting it will only delay it at best.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    To repeat myself; the goal isn't to have a system that "can't crash". Just one that fails less regularly than people do. And that's totally achievable.
    But having a system which "can't crash" is feasible. We'll probably get to a point where most people use fully automated cars. At that point you would want those cars to all be networked so that they can share their machine learning with each other. With billions of cars sharing what they've "learned" theoretically you could reach a point very rapidly where it would be damn near impossible for a car to crash. Like the only way it would ever happen is if a fucking bolder fell out of the sky right in front of your car or some crazy shit like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    But having a system which "can't crash" is feasible. We'll probably get to a point where most people use fully automated cars. At that point you would want those cars to all be networked so that they can share their machine learning with each other. With billions of cars sharing what they've "learned" theoretically you could reach a point very rapidly where it would be damn near impossible for a car to crash. Like the only way it would ever happen is if a fucking bolder fell out of the sky right in front of your car or some crazy shit like that.
    That is feasible in the future. But Endus is saying that, for the first iteration of driverless vehicles, the goal is to achieve a fatal crash rate lower than human drivers.

You're talking about once we've gotten rid of humans being allowed to drive at all, which is likely quite a time off. It is cool to theorize about though. Cars could travel at hundreds of miles per hour, safely, if they were communicating. Both public and private transportation would see massive overhauls. By that time, we'll probably have the ability to have high speed internet accessible basically anywhere, so imagine telling your car to go across the continent, while you sit and play wow or overwatch in your little bubble.

As squidward would say "FUTURE"
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Why has no one mentioned the dashcam driver weaving in and out of lanes?

I do not see automated cars taking over in my lifetime. People like their "stuff" too much. People will always want to drive their cars, look how much money people put in to their cars. Next to a house, it is the most expensive item most people own. The first hurdle would be affordability. Right now there are thousands and thousands of people driving what they can afford, they can't afford new cars --let alone self driving cars. Add in the number of people who want classic cars/modified cars, It's going to be next century before people mainstream auto driving cars.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    This popped up on /r/roadcam and there's a source for that whole "autopilot was on" thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roadcam/com...hen_a/deerotb/
    My car hit a barrier while I was on autopilot..

One thing that is often forgotten is that drivers are not a homogeneous group. Some are much better than others. If you want to force people to stop driving, then the auto-pilot needs to beat out the best drivers consistently. Otherwise I fully encourage crappy drivers to get self-driving cars.