Thread: Is frost op?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I need help with my frost off spec to get to the average let alone the OP level..anyone know of one these gods of Frost that do in game tutoring for $/gold?? I need to not embarrass myself as frost mage. Fire Im good now and got there by having some watch my rotation in real time and critique it.

Quote Originally Posted by SFBayGamer View Post
    I need help with my frost off spec to get to the average let alone the OP level..anyone know of one these gods of Frost that do in game tutoring for $/gold?? I need to not embarrass myself as frost mage. Fire Im good now and got there by having some watch my rotation in real time and critique it.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PRKPiF9LhA4

I have only played it for about 2 weeks so I'm probably not playing flawless, this should however give you a decent idea how to get started

Deleted
    yes Frost is extremely overpowered and it is starting to show now that people get legendaries and traits and gear.

Normally I wouldn't bother, because melees are super strong. But now Frost mages are starting to completely outshining all other range DDs and even melees it becomes a joke.

I am 100% certain that blizzard is going to nerf Frost, because it simply can't stay the way it currently is. I feel pity for all those Destro warlocks, Balance Druids, Elemental Shamans etc. seeing Frost mage being the ultimate range they all dream of being

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    it's overpowered it's nothing to do with being "competitive" it's ranged doing mechanics while melee get carried sitting on the boss.

and it's not so much frost overpowered as it's legendaries are overpowered because blizz as usual lets shit slip under the radar.

- - - Updated - - -

yeh thats frost not doing mechanics vs melee not doing them, oh look the only dps to break 1m.
    The bigger question.... why does it matter. I mean its a guild run, you kill the boss people get loot. Are you crying because you're not #1 dps? I mean unless they are replacing you with said frost mage, who cares. A win is a win....

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMonk79 View Post
    The bigger question.... why does it matter. I mean its a guild run, you kill the boss people get loot. Are you crying because you're not #1 dps? I mean unless they are replacing you with said frost mage, who cares. A win is a win....
    it's more their shit approach to balancing only what they notice, oh we forgot about this spec, and these legendaries because we're busy using 5 months to fix fotm specs with OP legendaries, then don't nerf all legendaries because a spec isn't strong, then change a spec, don't change it's legendaries and bam now it's overpowered with those legendaries, it's just a shitshow of balancing.

like the frost dk helm nerf, frost dk wasn't strong, so why nerf legendaries? buff frost dk's now they need an entire patch to nerf a legendary, so you see why people get annoyed about blizz being blind and randomly nerfing shit because they know they could of had an OP legendary for another 6 months but unlucky blizz noticed it while others escape nerfs.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    it's more their shit approach to balancing only what they notice, oh we forgot about this spec, and these legendaries because we're busy using 5 months to fix fotm specs with OP legendaries, then don't nerf all legendaries because a spec isn't strong, then change a spec, don't change it's legendaries and bam now it's overpowered with those legendaries, it's just a shitshow of balancing.

like the frost dk helm nerf, frost dk wasn't strong, so why nerf legendaries? buff frost dk's now they need an entire patch to nerf a legendary, so you see why people get annoyed about blizz being blind and randomly nerfing shit because they know they could of had an OP legendary for another 6 months but unlucky blizz noticed it while others escape nerfs.
    I get it to a degree and not. People as a whole worry too much about balancing. Part of that is because most classes can do everything now, so your big progression guilds usually just take the highest dps. Whereas it used to be about what each class brought. You needed a mix of melee and range and some were better on certain fights than others. Example would be the old vanilla/tbc paladins. They weren't the best dps, far from it, but they did bring all their auras and seals/judgements. Now its all about bringing the best numbers and that's what I personally hate about the game. I can use paladins again as a reference, I knew that I would never been as powerful dps wise as a mage, warlock or hunter, but I brought that extra stuff to the dungeon/raid. it wasn't about balance back then and it shouldn't be about balance now, or at least not in a dps way of balance. To me their biggest mistake was getting rid of the uniqueness of each class. You had your high end dps, both range and melee, had your support classes, raid healer, tank healers, etc. Now most healers are similar the only difference between dps are who's melee and who's range and what their numbers are.
    Once again though.. why does it matter that the frost mage in your guild run out dps everybody else? Unless your guild is going to be replacing members with more frost mages than the numbers flashing on the screen are just that... flashy numbers. You're still raiding, you're still part of the team, your position on the dps meter shouldn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpDidNothingWrong View Post
    yes Frost is extremely overpowered
    ROFL
    Frost has a top parse on 1 boss out of 10. Frost is on top of 0 bosses statistically in 90%+ percentile.

how dare a range spec be as strong as a melee spec

Don't worry guys, come 7.2 double IL will be fixed and frost will be brought again in line with other mage specs (=shit dps)
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Fixed that for ya

So what? DK's still have Frost as a strong spec and Druids still have Balance. Mages have nothing and Frost is only great with the right legys AND the double IL bug that is being fixed in 7.2.

ALL classes to include Druids and DK's have atleast 1 spec that beats all 3 Mage specs. THAT is the problem. Also Fire was strong but NOT OP at the start of EN and Blizzard has since nerfed it into the worst of the 3 Mage specs (after saying they wouldn't). So Feral and Unholy can cry me a river...go Frost or Balance and you don't need the right legys to make them work either.

Deleted
    It's op because of unintended mechanics, without double IL is worst than arcane (average-bottom)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by seijulala View Post
    It's op because of unintended mechanics, without double IL is worst than arcane (average-bottom)
    In what world is current frost worse than arcane when both have equal gear/legendaries? Like arcane with 4p and bis legendaries beats frost without tier and sephuz+norgannon combo, but that's hardly a fair comparison.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adudu View Post
    In what world is current frost worse than arcane when both have equal gear/legendaries? Like arcane with 4p and bis legendaries beats frost without tier and sephuz+norgannon combo, but that's hardly a fair comparison.
    Read again what he said. Double IL is a huge dps gain. After blizzard fixes it frost may be on pair with Arcane on ST fights.

Deleted
    What's this double IL people are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by sifting View Post
    frost. it's flavor of the month. enjoy it while it lasts. does that mean i'm going to grind 54 traits for it? hell nah.
    Double ice lance will be gone in the next few weeks, that will drop some of its damage on it's own. Even with out double ice lance it is still better then fire and arcane on more then half of the fights in NH right now. For people that want to push numbers and still working on progression you are stuck switching specs in a rather spec switching unfriendly version of the game. The real pisser is the arcane fans, so many sad WoD arc mages right now, even with the great set bonuses arcane is still somewhat lack luster when you look at the big picture.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    ROFL
    Frost has a top parse on 1 boss out of 10. Frost is on top of 0 bosses statistically in 90%+ percentile.
    It gets worse the lower you drop the percentile too. Frost isn't overly complicated, but if you play TV and drop your icy veins too soon or before it is up again you dmg plummets. If you play GS then you are going to want certain legendary items and a maxed weapon. Going to be a lot of people grinding towards that only to have things change on them as they try to catch up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMonk79 View Post
    What if you aren't killing bosses due to damage output? The damage needed ramps up pretty damn fast in mythic NH. Even if you aren't stuck at 3/10 like a few thousand raid, nobody wants to dps in the 90th percentile or higher, do all you can and still get destroyed by somebody that is in the 30th for their class. Its even worse for the people that can't or don't rank high on fights. If you are an average player playing a mage right now you are getting stomped on by even the shittiest players of most specs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pilkie View Post
    What's this double IL people are talking about?
    You can currently get two ice lances to hit your target while the flurry buff is up. So both hit the target like it was frozen, so they crit. Soon with 7.2 that is being removed and no matter your haste or range to the target you won't be able to double dip like that. It isn't just a big dps gain because of those extra critting ice lances, but for TV mages it helps keep icy veins rolling longer.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caath View Post
    Read again what he said. Double IL is a huge dps gain. After blizzard fixes it frost may be on pair with Arcane on ST fights.
    Double IL is only very strong because of how it interacts with extending IV. Even without double IL frost is stronger than arcane.

Not OP but probably the most useful mage spec in Nighthold. I would be hard pressed to call any class OP when DKs DH and Warriors are in the state they are in.
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    It's not OP... it's the best mage spec though. Bad news, it requires specific gear and legendaries to shine vs real top dogs (DH, DK, rogues, warriors etc.). Good news, it's still better than Arcane/Fire for single target even when not at 54 traits and with dumb generic legendaries. Arcane and Fire are just that bad, curse my bad judgment having loot spec on them for so long, as for AP, I just farmed my soul off and hey, 3 maxed artifacts, hated each second of MoS.
    U people overrate frost's ST dps. On top parses Frost mages have around 100k dps more than arcane mages. Where dougle IL (which will be removed) boosts Frost dps by around 100k. After this changes, Frost won't be more than 5% better on ST fights than arcane, while arcane will be much better on AoE fights.

To sum up, frost mage is far away from be OP.

Fire dominates so hard on aoe...but when it comes to ST...I don't think frost is OP but fire is just sh..t at same gear level. This would suck less if we didn't put so many APs on one spec...Can't wait for 7.2. Ready to dump fire and all.