Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

How much damage are healers expected to these days?

^^

How much damage are healers expected to do in pve content?

In dungeons there are plenty of times where healing isnt required, in the past healers just conserved mana and did nothing while patiently waiting for the group to take more damage (I dont miss healing in wrath), but now healer DPS rotations are largely free to use and dish out respectable amounts of damage.
    If a healer can keep everyone alive and deal 20% of a dps damage, its well worthwhile (considering dps players threaten to quit over 5% differences)

These contributions can be very meaningful, in my own personal experience i have been able to make up DPS shortfalls for the groups lowest dps where added together with mine rival the top dps.

So, knowing this, is it frowned upon now for healers to DPS in dungeons/raids when they 'should' be focusing on heals like it was in the past? or is idly waiting for group damage now frowned upon? Or perhaps healers get a free pass to do whatever they want in their spare time?

So are healers now expected to do some DPS, and if so, how much?

There is not one answer for this.

To start with, healer DPS is not balanced at all. Holy Pally can out DPS all other healers by a wide margin and it is all burst, meaning it is easy to fit all of their considerable damage into a short window of low healing requirements. This means you cannot say "Healers need to do X DPS". That number may be right in line for some classes, literally unobtainable for others, and half what still others could accomplish.

Second, it depends on your group. The less damage your group is taking, the more DPS a healer can do. Sometimes, a DPS will know you can heal them through a mechanic and they are in a burn phase, so they won't move and will let you heal them. This is much more beneficial to the group than them moving (and stopping DPS) to avoid the damage, which would have opened up an opportunity for the healer to DPS.

So, basically, outside of progression fights, there are almost always opportunities for healers to DPS, but the amount of DPS they can pull will vary wildly based on class and circumstances.

Final thought. Never put off a heal to finish a DPS cast. Cancel the cast and heal.

^ What he said is spot on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    ^^

In dungeons there are plenty of times where healing isnt required, in the past healers just conserved mana and did nothing while patiently waiting for the group to take more damage (I dont miss healing in wrath), but now healer DPS rotations are largely free to use and dish out respectable amounts of damage.
    If a healer can keep everyone alive and deal 20% of a dps damage, its well worthwhile (considering dps players threaten to quit over 5% differences)

These contributions can be very meaningful, in my own personal experience i have been able to make up DPS shortfalls for the groups lowest dps where added together with mine rival the top dps.

So, knowing this, is it frowned upon now for healers to DPS in dungeons/raids when they 'should' be focusing on heals like it was in the past? or is idly waiting for group damage now frowned upon? Or perhaps healers get a free pass to do whatever they want in their spare time?

The answer is none? A healer shouldn't be expected to DPS as some doesn't have much extra DPS power to offer.

As well, you shouldn't expect a healer to carry a little extra damage, many just do because they can and like to, etc.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

As much as they can without the group dying.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

You CAN'T expect healer to do a certain amount of damage, considering how unbalanced healers DPS is - a friendly Disc Priest sometimes pulls as much as 800-900k burst in short window of time, but you cant do much as Holy Priest or Resto Druid.

You CAN and I'd dare to say SHOULD expect him/her to do something while group is at full health - even simple Wrath spamming is better than doing nothing and idly watching the rest of the group doing the job.

Deleted
    i cast wrath and moonfire whenever i can. doing a couple million damage on a boss helps stuff get done faster

In raids 0, anything more is a bonus. In dungeons I'd say it's expected to dps on bosses when doing low keys. If you do like less than 70k-ish on bosses in low keys ppl wok complain

Deleted
    As a Holy Priest I always dps when I don't need to heal. I usually do about 150k dps on boss fights (M+ 12 kind of level) but can do way, way more than that on AOE trash pulls thanks to Holy Nova spam. It's pretty mana intensive though.

There's no reason at all for healers to have downtime during fights. Spamming your most basic damage spell still allows you to gain mana at a decent rate.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    ^^

0. Healers are only expected to keep people alive. If you managed to do some DPS , sure it's a nice bonus but no one expects you to damage anything as long as you're keeping people alive .

Thx to Isilrien for the awesome sig

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    The answer is none? A healer shouldn't be expected to DPS as some doesn't have much extra DPS power to offer.

As well, you shouldn't expect a healer to carry a little extra damage, many just do because they can and like to, etc.
    If you're stood around doing nothing between heals you should be dealing damage. If you're not you're just being lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Axelond View Post
    In raids 0, anything more is a bonus. In dungeons I'd say it's expected to dps on bosses when doing low keys. If you do like less than 70k-ish on bosses in low keys ppl wok complain
    That's not really true for raids always, if there are some dps checks where healing isn't that high it can be helpful to have healers dps. For example I doubt we could consistently beat the dps check for 3 rings on elisande without healers helping out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    If you're stood around doing nothing between heals you should be dealing damage. If you're not you're just being lazy.
    That is a different view. Generally, you shouldn't expect a healer to pad up unless they feel able/wanting to.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

That is a different view. Generally, you shouldn't expect a healer to pad up unless they feel able/wanting to.
    That's not padding, it's being efficient with your time.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

It's not padding at all, it's dealing damage to make the kills faster and help avoid 1% wipes, for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    That's not padding, it's being efficient with your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    It's not padding at all, it's dealing damage to make the kills faster and help avoid 1% wipes, for example.
    Yes, it is being effecient. It's not being expectant.

You expect heals, that is what they are there for. You hope of course for a little cover fire, you might get so if you healer is effecient with personal management of their own gameplay. Of course, there are groups that invite healers, asking for a DPS specc as well but not yet seen groups inviting healers with expectations of them to DPS in their healing.

As a Holy Priest I can do a consistent 250-300+k DPS. But that's with zero healing being done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    As a Holy Priest I can do a consistent 250-300+k DPS. But that's with zero healing being done.
    As a Paladin, I am able to do about 200k dps with healing done on average.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PraisCthulhu View Post
    Final thought. Never put off a heal to finish a DPS cast. Cancel the cast and heal.
    Couldn't agree more

Quote Originally Posted by Prawnapple View Post
    Couldn't agree more
    If the heal would save somebody, sure. Otherwise cancelling the DPS cast would be a waste.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU