Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    What's the difference between a water boiler(kettle) and an electric kettle?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    silly...
    one you put on the stove, the other one you can plug into any outlet anywhere.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    Do you?

this was just a TIL on reddit. most of us dont cuz we drink brewed coffee not tea or instant coffee

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    They get paid and tipped... not sure where you got slavery from.
    Where do you keep him/her? Inside a small cabinet near your kitchen or has he/she a little shed in your garden?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    silly...
    one you put on the stove, the other one you can plug into any outlet anywhere.
    You didn't understand the question.

This is an electric kettle: https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-Hamil...ettle/39130939

This is a water kettle: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cordless-...teel/190404199

In Finland all those are called "vedenkeitin" which is directly translated into "water boiler". Just asking what is the difference because you have those different names and even different categories for them in eg. Walmart.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Why bother owning a TV if you have a computer?
    Why bother having a toaster if you have an oven?
    Why bother having a bicycle if you have a car?

An electric kettle is cheap, simpler to use, and automatically switches off when the water is boiling. If you use boiling water often it's a far better solution than using a microwave, because it makes your microwave last longer, saves you effort, and is safer to use.

If you boil water infrequenty, you're right, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have an extra appliance that takes up space in the kitchen.
    Bad examples. Apples and air planes to say the least.

A computer is a storage device. What you're thinking about is a computer monitor. A computer monitor isn't 70 inches with 4k resolution and doesn't typically allow for multiple people to sit and watch a family movie together or have a group of friends over to watch the game. It's also often seen as a status symbol.

A toaster is the closet example here. Only thing I have against it is that it takes ages to heat up an oven. My post said similar things that heat up water with the same, or near same, time expenditure. The oven doesn't do this. You can leave a kettle on the oven and forget it till it starts talking to you. You can't leave a piece of toast in the oven. That's silly.

A bike is more than transportation. It's also five thousand to several million dollars cheaper than any car and you don't have to pay for gas. Plus you're not killing the planet with a bike.

Overall that's a poor attempt with only one thing that's remotely close. I'll give you a "D" for your grade.

People in the states don't typically drink tea... But they have alternatives that are just as good for heating water. Your obstinance to see basic logic clearly shows your bias.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Theres some things people need to understand as to why we dont use electric kettles. For one, most americans dont drink tea on a regular basis and two is that for coffee we usually have coffee machines. When it comes to cooking purposes most people just use a pot on a stove.

Time investment and location and availability to cook. You can put a kettle or pot over a fire if you don't have electricity. Both have advantages and disadvantages. If you live in the city and drink tea daily, it's obviously better to have an electric kettle over a normal one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Your microwave's life isn't seriously affected by boiling water. It isn't more dangerous either(unless you use distilled water). It also doesn't take any more effort to use one over the other. The real question is why someone would pay for an additional appliance that has the same functionality as another they already own.
    Probably because of this.

http://www.treehugger.com/clean-tech...owave-oven.htm

We are not talking peanuts, electric kettles are more than 50% more efficient at boiling water according to that article.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    I also don't have an electric kettle at home. Why would I? How often and what for would I need to boil water for direct consumption? The two times in the year I am sick and want to make some tea?
    Or do you boil water for cooking (for examples for noodles) in the electric kettle first and then pour it into a pot on the stove?
    This here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    A bike is more than transportation. It's also five thousand to several million dollars cheaper than any car and you don't have to pay for gas. Plus you're not killing the planet with a bike.
    I also love riding my bike in a tsunami's, blizzards and with friends on my back when we hit the bars or a movie. Dates LOVE it.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    Do you?

All the time when I make green tea

I do. love the thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nope- I don't want extra appliances in my kitchen. If I want hot water I have pots and a stove, or the microwave.

10+ Year Old Account
    You didn't understand the question.

This is an electric kettle: https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-Hamil...ettle/39130939

This is a water kettle: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cordless-...teel/190404199

In Finland all those are called "vedenkeitin" which is directly translated into "water boiler". Just asking what is the difference because you have those different names and even different categories for them in eg. Walmart.
    Oh, that's what you meant...

Okay., The water heater/kettle has a thermostat. You can heat the water nearly instantly to any desired temperature.
    The kettle however brings the water to a boil, then shuts off.

Point of use, hot water heater is what we use, instant hot water.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I mean... doesnt everyone?

No...what for?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Point of use, hot water heater is what we use, instant hot water.
    That's something completely different, mister.

But I applaud you for using this appliance instead of those stupid antiquated water heater tanks most American homes use.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your microwave's life isn't seriously affected by boiling water.
    A microwave oven, like any other appliance, has a certain useful number of operational cycles before it wears out. If you use it to boil water 5 times a day it will wear out 5 times faster than if you use it to boil water once a day.

It isn't more dangerous either(unless you use distilled water).
    I already linked how water can explode from superheating. One of the problems with a microwave is that it doesn't detect for you when your water is boiling and that can make the exercise slightly less safe.

It also doesn't take any more effort to use one over the other.
    Yes it does

Operating a kettle:

1) Place Kettle under the tap and fill it as much as desired
    2) Close lid
    3) Switch kettle on
    4) Wait for kettle to boil and automatically switch off
    5) Pour water into container it will be used in

Operating a microwave

1) Fill a microwave friendly container with water
    2) Open microwave
    3) Place container inside microwave
    4) Close microwave
    5) Program microwave
    6) Activate microwave
    7) Open microwave
    8) Take container out
    9) Check if water is sufficiently heated
    10) Repeat steps 3-9 if necessary
    11) If water is sufficiently hot, decant into final container

Typically a microwave oven is a few meters from a faucet while a kettle is typically right there.

Is it a huge problem to rely on a microwave? Not really. Is it more convenient to use a kettle? Yes.

The real question is why someone would pay for an additional appliance that has the same functionality as another they already own.
    The real question is why didn't you won't accept what I wrote the first time, choosing instead to simply dismiss it all without bothering to give any reasoning at all?

What you clearly fail to take cognisance of is that for someone who boils water often having a kettle makes sense. I am not trying to imply that Americans are stupid for not using kettles as much as Brittons or Aussies (or South Africans). I am trying to explain how different contexts make different solutions to the same task make more sense.

Your failure is that you cannot consider the perspective of someone else and even when they try to explain it to you, you think you know better.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Operating a microwave

1) Fill a microwave friendly container with water
    2) Open microwave
    3) Place container inside microwave
    4) Close microwave
    5) Program microwave
    6) Activate microwave
    7) Open microwave
    8) Take container out
    9) Check if water is sufficiently heated
    10) Repeat steps 3-9 if necessary
    11) If water is sufficiently hot, decant into final container
    How I operate a microwave:
    1) Put a mug filled with water in it
    2) Press the 2 minute button
    3) Enjoy my boiling water

10+ Year Old Account
    Crazy americans boiling their water in microwave.

Why cant you use the coal or wood and boil the water slowly.

Like in the old days.
    Don't sweat the details!!!