Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Hmm... pushing it to 21 will lower the amount of PVV voters, but thats about all the pros I can think off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    I sincerely hope this is sarcasm.
    Doubt it, giving the worker and lower classes less powers benefits the rich voters.

Your brain isn't fully developed until maybe age 25, I doubt they make well informed or intelligent decisions. If anything we need to raise the age to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    I sincerely hope this is sarcasm.
    Not at all. I own land. I worked my ass off to rise from the bowels of poverty to purchase said land. I don't want anyone who doesn't have that same work ethic to have a say in the direction of the country. I actually own a piece of the country. It's a small piece but it's mine. People without property are just renters, always dependent on Americans who are more invested in the country than they are.
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb

I don't think changing the voters age would really change anything, especially lowering it. What 16 year old would take their time to wait in line in a polling station? Or even take time out to travel to one in the first place? Personally, I wouldn't know one I'd be impressed if you could credibly know one because that's a minority in a vast spread who don't really have a grasp on a larger world then they have.

Meh, nobody votes before they're 30, anyway. Why bother widening the non-voting voter bracket?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman31 View Post
    Not at all. I own land. I worked my ass off to rise from the bowels of poverty to purchase said land. I don't want anyone who doesn't have that same work ethic to have a say in the direction of the country. I actually own a piece of the country. It's a small piece but it's mine. People without property are just renters, always dependent on Americans who are more invested in the country than they are.
    And in one fell swoop you alienated the urban centers where many people live in apartments because housing is freaking expensive. And who likely contribute more to the running of the country

35 years old and own land.......we started to go down hill when they changed the original requirements to vote.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Dome Fossil View Post
    Meh, nobody votes before they're 30, anyway. Why bother widening the non-voting voter bracket?
    A lot of under 30s I know are planning to vote next week lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I wish you could see my face right now, I genuinly cant even put into words how hilarious this is.

If anyone on this planet is going to vote in a sensible manner, its the generation that actually has critical thinking, the generation that can use the internet, has even more rigorous and difficult challenges ahead. The generation that actually has to live with its choices not the old useless pensioners who dont even contribute to society anymore but feel the need to ruin it for everyone else. Not the uneducated middle agers who's defining achievment in life was simply being alive, these groups of people are utterly useless for the progression of society, and more often than not, they decide its fate.
    The 16 year olds I know are not capable of voting. It would be downright scary to have them vote. What they care about is school, playing LoL/overwatch/WoW with their friends, the boy/girl they like, being cool with their friends and doing stupid shit. They have next to no knowledge of politics at all and are mostly influenced by what their parents/family or friends think.
    Last edited by Moratori; 2017-03-10 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Your brain isn't fully developed until maybe age 25, I doubt they make well informed or intelligent decisions. If anything we need to raise the age to vote.
    There are plenty of adults who don't make well informed or intelligent decisions.

OT: I'd support lowering voting age, but with a test for underage voters.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman31 View Post
    While we're at it, let's bring back the poll tax! They never should have gotten rid of that! Oh, and literacy tests! If you can't read, why should you be able to vote?!

Yeah and the pensioners and middle aged grey blobs I know only vote based on their immediate short term benefits, which generally dont get given anyway. If Im ever like that when im 40 I swear to god I'll take myself off the register.

The 16 year olds in my country are perfectly capable of voting, thanks to a political awakening we've been having over the last few years. All it takes is a bit of effort to get the ball rolling and you'll be surprised how critical a young mind can get.

I mean as far as im concerned, its barely even up for debate, technophobes and bigots have literally dragged the UK years back, its visible for everyone to see.
    Have you tried asking them why they think something is a good or bad idea in politics? Most can't really explain why something is good or bad from my experience, even people who are in their 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by Moratori View Post
    Have you tried asking them why they think something is a good or bad idea in politics? Most can't really explain why something is good or bad from my experience, even people who are in their 20s.
    Change that to 30's, 40's, 50's etc. etc. etc. as well.

There are lots of people who can't explain both sides of policy. Age isn't necessarily indicative of ability to understand, research, or think critically.

Deleted
    So you can't have sex under 18, you can't drink under 21 BUT SURE AS HELL YOU ARE COMPETENT ENOUGH TO DECIDE THE FUTURE OF THE COUNTRY!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordago View Post
    So you can't have sex under 18, you can't drink under 21...<snip>
    ^ Loud noises. Seriously, there's no rational reason to do that.

OT: No. 18 is the legally recognized age of adulthood. Voting is an adult right. While we're at it, lower the drinking age to 18.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2017-03-10 at 09:02 PM.

Deleted
    I'd personally be against it, but the way I see it, the age is going to be lowered to 16 sooner or later. Unless voter turnout amongst younger people starts to increase it won't make much difference anyway imo

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    They should push it to 16.
    It's nonsense that people should live such a long time under a government they never elected.

*looks at who posted it*
    Okaaay.

Yea, because 18 years is such a long time. /rolleyes
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordago View Post
    So you can't have sex under 18, you can't drink under 21 BUT SURE AS HELL YOU ARE COMPETENT ENOUGH TO DECIDE THE FUTURE OF THE COUNTRY!

Most of the US the Age of Consent is 16 and 17. And you forgot to include smoking in your temper tantrum.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

No but a lifetime is when you realise that you've been conned out of a future you couldnt decide.
    When you think about it, a 16-year old has a hell of a lot more at stake in an election than a 90-year old.

No but a lifetime is when you realise that you've been conned out of a future you couldnt decide.
    A lifetime? Do you only have one election per generation or something?