Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuda View Post
    The question is more, why a battle companion at all?
    That's a pretty dumb question. Even if they bring a small amount of extra damage, its STILL extra damage. Being done with stuff 3-5% faster adds up after weeks and months of world content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Gold. Resources. Fun. Immersion. "Because I can/want". Plenty of reasons to bring one, so no, it's not a question, and most certainly not the question in question in this thread.
    Great reply, this one. I personally love companions in games - getting something like that in WoW is nice when you're soloing/playing at an odd hour when not many people are online.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Deleted
    Rexxar because damage is higher than Addie's overall and i like killing things even faster. I don't mind the mass pulls as BM since my pets tank and destroy everything.

In fact, i prefer that something does extra pulling for me.

I use hemet with a 50 and 25 extra Resources bonus. so every WQ is get 75 extra plus hes totally passive so i dont have to manage him.
    I HATE the ones you A) have to push a button for and b) that come out and agro everything in range so you spend 5 min extra killing shit you didnt need.

Hemet ftw. he shoots he leaves he gives me lots of Resources

Deleted
    Emmarel for on demand extra damage without the hassle of a bodyguard. Getting 200 extra resources per WQ is rather nice.

Deleted
    If you mean 0.5% to 1% and stick to your guns, sure, but that's assuming that we're killing things in the 1% increments. Lets assume we do chunks of 5% damage (I know I did far for as a bare 110, but lets say). The bodyguard did 1%, we still have 4% left, we are still going to do land a last hit, except instead of 5% damage we did 4%.

As someone who only used a bodyguard as a shaman (100% travel speed n ghost wolf) I never felt my bodyguard did any appreciable damage while on the other hand it did its share in slowing things down by agroing unnecessary things.

We lose more in 'weeks and months' in gold and AP from missions by lacking a 5th follower doing them than the weekly 2k gold someone mentioned above. There is math about it somewhere on the net, look it up if it feels important.

It's just, other classes? Sure. A mage with a bodyguard? Perfect. Bit of tanking, bit of breathing room. Shamans and 100% ghost wolf? Super for WQs, and it works everywhere, even inside caves where we can't mount.

But a hunter? With our burst and our tanking native pets? We don't -need- a follower. As I was saying above i'm not trying to change anyone's mind. Want a follower? By jove, go for it. Just balance it with what would have been mission gains when making a decision.

(Quick anecdote. Costs for 7.2 hall are announced. Start farming resources. Reach 60k. In the meanwhile I decide to re-roll another hunter. Spend all that's needed in the class hall (around 40k) and still have 17k atm. I have no doubt I'll have the 60k by 7.2).

10+ Year Old Account
    If you mean 0.5% to 1% and stick to your guns, sure, but that's assuming that we're killing things in the 1% increments. Lets assume we do chunks of 5% damage (I know I did far for as a bare 110, but lets say). The bodyguard did 1%, we still have 4% left, we are still going to do land a last hit, except instead of 5% damage we did 4%.

As someone who only used a bodyguard as a shaman (100% travel speed n ghost wolf) I never felt my bodyguard did any appreciable damage while on the other hand it did its share in slowing things down by agroing unnecessary things.

We lose more in 'weeks and months' in gold and AP from missions by lacking a 5th follower doing them than the weekly 2k gold someone mentioned above. There is math about it somewhere on the net, look it up if it feels important.

It's just, other classes? Sure. A mage with a bodyguard? Perfect. Bit of tanking, bit of breathing room. Shamans and 100% ghost wolf? Super for WQs, and it works everywhere, even inside caves where we can't mount.

But a hunter? With our burst and our tanking native pets? We don't -need- a follower. As I was saying above i'm not trying to change anyone's mind. Want a follower? By jove, go for it. Just balance it with what would have been mission gains when making a decision.

(Quick anecdote. Costs for 7.2 hall are announced. Start farming resources. Reach 60k. In the meanwhile I decide to re-roll another hunter. Spend all that's needed in the class hall (around 40k) and still have 17k atm. I have no doubt I'll have the 60k by 7.2).
    I'll never understand people who think the way you do. "I don't do this thing, so why would anyone else do this thing?"

You know, I don't like extra toppings on my burgers. Pickles, mustard, etc... I hate that stuff. But nowhere on the internet, in any topic about 'favorite hamburger toppings', will you find a post by me asking "why any extra toppings to begin with?"

I don't care if Addie does 1% of my damage, 3% or 4.96%. I bring her along because I enjoy NPC companions in games, and because I enjoyed the questline to help her become a hunter. If there's a lucrative gold/AP mission that needs her traits to hit 200%, I un-assign her and run that mission. Otherwise, she's out in the world, making WoW a little more immersive (for me) and more fun. Sorry if that doesn't line up with all your math and reason, but it doesn't have to. I'm not you.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Deleted
    Oh lawd, I'm bowing out before I crack down laughing at Tumblerinas. Carry on.

I am currently using Rexxar with 2 gold providing items equipped but i am thinking to put 2 resource gathering items on Addie so in case i start needing resources i can switch and farm a little then switch back to Rexxar.

Now that i checked my followers Rexxar is utterly useless in combat and in combinations with others so i need Addie as the only other survival follower so i will do that 2x resources thing on other option with the on use ability and switch to her if needed.

Don't forget guys that in 7.2 we will get +1 slot to usable champions
    Last edited by Pyrophobia; 2017-03-13 at 01:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh lawd, I'm bowing out before I crack down laughing at Tumblerinas. Carry on.
    Translation: my worthless argument has been shot down, all I have left are insults.

/yawn
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2017-03-13 at 03:50 AM.

I believe I disabled Rexxar as soon as I had 6 champions. He was very annoying to have around. I swapped around between the three other bodyguards before settling with Emmanuel. She doesn't get in the way while still giving me 75 gold for each WQ. I've put her active ability somewhere on my bars where I don't really see it (default UI). The damage it does is negligible at this point.

You are right that they are not needed.

But there are plenty of reasons why you would want them.
    Biggest reason is for the OR/Gold they bring in with items and/or order hall perk. This is quite significant if you do a lot of world quests; which you clearly do, as you state you have thousands upon thousands of order resources which is only possible by severe WQ grinding (or by buying it with blood of sargeras on other toons, but that would kind of kill the argument you're trying to make).
    I mean even if you only do the 4 quests needed for emissiary every day, that's an easy 400 OR and 200g. People go out of their way to do an extra daily for that, and you get it for free.

"But then you miss a champion in your order hall". Frankly not much of an issue. Most of the time 2 champions + 1x Tier 2 unit is the best combination to send anyway so you can generally make due with the champions you have.
    At a certain point the only missions that are real "must do" missions are the gold ones, and 4 champions is plenty to do that with. (Worst case scenario you can simply take out your bodyguard for the mission and put him/her back later when you go and quest, at the cost of a mere 50 OR, which you earn back quickly with the bodyguard).
    In 7.2 you'll have the ability to have up to 7 champions active in your order hall, not having a bodyguard at this point would be a bit of a waste.

--------

As for my preference. To be frank, I find hunters not to have the best bodyguards. On a lot of other classes there are some clear advantages to bring a certain someone. Either a passive bonus that's quite good (e.g. Reghar on shaman that gives 200% ghost wolf speed), a bodyguard that fills a gap that you miss (e.g. a tank companion on a mage); a passive bodyguard that increases your damage output by a lot (e.g. Mylune on druid for bursty feydragons; rogue has a follower that makes the first 5 sec out of stealth give +100% crit chance).
    Hunters' options are a bit more limited. The bodyguards are nice, but don't really add much to a class that has tank pets and can global a lot of things.
    Hemet has a nice passive bonus, but from what I hear and experience it doesn't proc very often, so you'd bring him mostly just for the passive.
    Emmarel has a more bursty cooldown which can come in handy, but its an active so it's only as effective as you make it to be.
    On top of that both Hemet and Emmarel have quite good perks for missions, so I prefer to keep them on that.
    So I mostly end up playing with Addie or Rexxar. Not a huge fan of the giant bird running through my screen so it's mostly Addie.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    .... Really? That's a question?
    Yes it is. Hunters already have a pet and the companions are actually an annoyance. Always getting in the way when you need to click something on the ground or loot. Real hunters barely need a pet let alone a companion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Addie all the way for me. Rexxar with equipment that boosts his success chance on > 8 hr missions allows him to easily solo most Survival Missions in tandem with two Pathfinders.

I'm a gnome, Addie's a gnome. I have mech pets, Addie has a mech pet. Honestly, Rexxar is just too big to be enjoyable for me.

I use Hemet Nesingwary because as others have said Addie/Rexxar keep me in combat and Emmarel has an annoying button that I can't seem to hide without worrying about hiding crucial buttons (ie guldan buff or suromar disguise)

I prefer to use a combat ally because I get the extra gold/resources per world quest done. I am still able to complete all the decent missions and do not require a 5th follower to finish off the crappy missions for either rep tokens (im exalted w/ all) or follower armor upgrades (all are max). SO having 5 followers doing missions isn't necessary.

My question to you is.. DO YOU NOTICE HEMET DOING ANY DAMAGE?
    I've used him for months. More then any other combat ally. I notice him call out, "This ones MINE!" I see him appear, do a shooting animation. Then he disappears. I never notice the target dip from any hemet dmg. I believe his abilities tooltip states that he does "40%" of a mobs total HP. I'd be happy if he did 5%. I can't find proof in the combat log that he had done ANY DAMAGE. Can anyone provide any solid proof that he does anything?
    Last edited by chrewm; 2017-03-13 at 07:27 PM.

Deleted
    but if you you are a Gnome you have to pick Addie and go with her with the same mount as best friends. I do that every time

75 gold per world quest adds up quick. I pick the gnome because I find her amusing.

I use Rexxar as my combat follower because he doesn't fit into my lineup for running missions. I can usually run 2 missions at decently high success rates (175% or higher) and never unassign him as my follower. I also have him equipped with equipment giving me 75g per WQ as I have more than enough resources to last me a long long time.
    When 7.2 finally allows us to use a 6th follower I'll be giving Meatball a shot to see how he does with missions.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Rexxar is awesome! With the class hall perk + 100 OR +50g from him it gives me 200 OR each WQ. Not having a follower is a waste. And with Rexxar you get not only 1, not 2, but 3 companions with you!

And the other followers are so good with completing missions, Rexxar is the clear choice.
    What 4 followers did you pick and what is your mission completion chance on average?
    Last edited by Turil; 2017-03-14 at 12:19 PM.

I use Hemet, Addie, Emmarel, and Hilaire to run missions with. My average is almost always 175% or above. All 4 of them have the 20% bonus item when using the same troops, so no matter who I send it's an additional 40% bonus right off the bat. Emmarel and Hilaire match up nicely with the BM bonus. They have varying items filling in the other equipement slot. Anything from 15% bonus chance to 40% bonus to 8hour + missions.

Quote Originally Posted by Turil View Post
    What 4 followers did you pick and what is your mission completion chance on average?
    I got
    Addie(20% with archers, 10% all)
    Huntsman Blake(15% pathfinders and 15% all)
    Halduron(70% on all above 8 hours, good relics)
    Hemet(50% on all above 8 hours, also good relics)

Using hemet and halduron on long ones obviously, those 2 together is 200% mission. I can use one of them very often with just one archer and get 200%.
    Huntsman blake is really good with 2 pathfinders, can 200% them with the right mission.

Gotta be picky on the missions tho, I only do the AP, gold, raid/dungeon missions and the occasionally rare one.

Is there any way to see the completion chance? If I would take a strong guess, 90% mission completion(inc bonus roll) 100% on 100%, but that doesnt really matter.

Have to add that the hunter one is the best of all the 4 class halls I got. The completion chance is alot higher than the rest. And 2 of the other ones(paladin/mage) got as good relics.

Just now I send:
    Huntsman Blake with one pathfinder on an AP-mission, 198%(4 hours). Adding an archer for 200(I have actually failed bonus roll on a 200% mission) to be overly sure.
    Halduron with one pathfinder for karazhan(1day 8 hour jeez) 200%
    Addie and Nesingwary + 1 archer for gold(8 hours, 48mins) 199%.

Its mostly like this. Some times its 170-180% as well, but 2 missions at 200% at a time is no problem