Issue with new build

So I started up a build this evening, and got as far as mounting the Mobo, as well as the watercooler and cpu and PSU. I then went to test and turn the system on, but no joy.

I then tried with just the mobo, and the PSU didn't even spin up the fan when turned on. (tested the PSU with the tester provided and the fan span up, so PSU seems fine)

when i short the board with the two pins, I can see the blue light on the mobo, but still no life on the PSU, and when i attached the case fans to the Mobo and turned on, they didn't come to life.

not sure what to try, but I'm thinking the mobo is faulty? I have removed it from the case and performed a test with it outside the case, and have the same issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Try putting in some ram iirc most computers wont work without.

Should still fire up. PSU testers don't usually put load on the power supply, it might not be pushing enough amps to start up.

What parts did you get? Is it possible to test another power supply on that motherboard to rule that part out?
    Super casual.

Is the board grounded. Did you plug in both the plugs from the power supply onto the mother board? Is the CPU fan plugged in? Did you seat the RAM right?

Start with listing your configuration.

Always start with testing everything on your desk (make sure your case isnt metal and there are no metal objects under the motherboard), before putting the mobo into the case. Make sure your RAM is in appropriate slots (should be in motherboard manual), make sure 24 pin (I guess you got that right if you have a standby power light on the mobo) and 8 pin CPU power are both connected to the motherboard, make sure your motherboard supports your CPU and you have an appropriate BIOS update installed (could need a different CPU for that). Dont install the videocard first and plug your monitor to the motherboard.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B