Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Nobody outside of WoW fans looking to shit on other games and a hyperminority of the hardest of hardcore fans have unironically called a game a "WoW killer" since the days of WAR.
    To be fair, Rift/Trion did advertise Rift as a WoW killer.

Personally, I think the term WoW killer is stupid as fuck. Even more so when WoW hasn't killed the original big dog (EQ).

MMO's don't die because of other MMO's.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

Personally, I think the term WoW killer is stupid as fuck. Even more so when WoW hasn't killed the original big dog (EQ).

MMO's don't die because of other MMO's.
    MMO's die because they have reached the end of their life cycle. Period. Look at Anarchy and Anarchy 2. There wasn't really anything they could have done at this point for them.

If it does shut down I admit I'll shed a tear. Before FFXIV 2.0 came along, RIFT was my "not WoW" go-to. I was pretty invested in it. Beautiful game that improved upon WoW and really brought event-based gameplay to the forefront.

While nothing achieved "WoW killer" status, RIFT came the closest. Perfectly timed launch, right after Cata when people were leaving WoW in droves. 1M concurrent players at its peak.
    F2P: If you don't think it's worth my money, I don't think it's worth my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    MMO's die because they have reached the end of their life cycle. Period. Look at Anarchy and Anarchy 2. There wasn't really anything they could have done at this point for them.
    Yep....

/10char
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Saucerian View Post
    If it does shut down I admit I'll shed a tear. Before FFXIV 2.0 came along, RIFT was my "not WoW" go-to. I was pretty invested in it. Beautiful game that improved upon WoW and really brought event-based gameplay to the forefront.

While nothing achieved "WoW killer" status, RIFT came the closest. Perfectly timed launch, right after Cata when people were leaving WoW in droves. 1M concurrent players at its peak.
    I personally won't. If it does shut down then it's dug it's own grave.

Great game at the start then just lost it during Nightmare Tide.

i remember at one point in Nightmare Tide literally everything was in the cash shop i think that what killed it

True, but I'll remember it as it was when it was good. I knew when they hit the F2P button, it was the beginning of the end.

F2P ultimately does stop being profitable, as it inevitably sinks to blatant P2W (or worse, P2gamble, I really loathe loot boxes) methods that drive off the last of the players.

In contrast I've had friends show me some of the most obscure MMOs that are a decade old or more, and they live on, because they're subscription and have a loyal, even if tiny, fanbase.
    F2P: If you don't think it's worth my money, I don't think it's worth my time.

Quote Originally Posted by lokoma View Post
    i remember at one point in Nightmare Tide literally everything was in the cash shop i think that what killed it
    Problem was they put gear slots and Planewalker: Water in there so it was either open up your wallet or grind 100k Void Stones. 50K for each. And it still is. Or fork out £30-40 for the Essentials edition as well since some of the classes in the soul packs are actually best for raiding. Arbiter for Mage last I checked was one of the best fucking tanks in the game.

I find it interesting that when SWTOR came out it was more the Rift killer than the WoW killer.

I played Rift for most of 2011 before throwing in the towel. The end game was a block for average players (HK was just too hard) and a game like Rift didn't have the maneuvering space to survive such a mistake.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I Googled and Googled any links to this claim that Trion made but all i could find is that EA claimed Star Wars: The Old Republic would take a "big chunk" of WoW players.

EA CEO John Riccitiello has already made it quite clear that he believes BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO will take a "big chunk" away from World of Warcraft.

Now EA Games boss Frank Gibeau explained to IndustryGamers why Old Republic can successfully challenge WoW's dominance.

One of Gibeau's arguments is that WoW simply is old hat at this point and that the appeal of Star Wars is nigh universal. "It’s a big bet for my label and for EA. You couldn’t think of a better combination of elements.
    Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/world...st-2011-3?IR=T

Please point me in the direction of any links you have about Trion saying Rift would be a "WoW killer", even though it's been pointed out that the only people that even use that term are not exactly in the gaming industry.

Honestly like I said they seem to be funneling money towards Trove now since that's the only game that can really make them some form of income. I mean it doesn't have millions of players but it sure as hell has more than the other Trion games at this point.

I mean look at Starfall and look at Trove. Trove actually has some fucking polish whereas the rest of their library doesn't.

Look at their games.

Devilian- When is the last time someone gave a crap about it?
    Defiance- Same story as Devilian
    Atlas Reactor- Big woop it went fully F2P and still nobody talks about it
    Rift- An absolute mess at the moment with the current expansion with players leaving in drones
    Trove- For some reason they can design this game right because it's actually half decent.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-03-16 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    I Googled and Googled any links to this claim that Trion made but all i could find is that EA claimed Star Wars: The Old Republic would take a "big chunk" of WoW players.
    I don't know why I bother responding to you- since you're going to deflect the shit out of this, per usual:

But here you go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpXoNaiPfT8 from their pre-order trailer.

And before you go full on Baghdad Bob about "well they didn't actually SAY it would be a WoW killer, here's some more light reading.

http://kotaku.com/5758000/youre-not-in-azeroth-anymore

Check out the video for a small taste of the game you'll be calling home now that you're not in Azeroth anymore.

There's more but I don't really care enough to post tidbits and links from an assumed statement originally made to generate buzz about Rift just so you can go full on Sean Spicer about it.
    Last edited by Mercane; 2017-03-16 at 07:36 PM.

Nobody outside of WoW fans looking to shit on other games and a hyperminority of the hardest of hardcore fans have unironically called a game a "WoW killer" since the days of WAR.
    eh Rift marketed it self as a wow killer with the whole "you are not in Azeroth anymore" slogan.. so yeah.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    eh Rift marketed it self as a wow killer with the whole "you are not in Azeroth anymore" slogan.. so yeah.
    I still don't get how people connect a jab at WoW with "CLAIMED TO BE THE WOW KILLER".

Like, it's such a massive leap in logic and reading so much that's flat out not there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still don't get how people connect a jab at WoW with "CLAIMED TO BE THE WOW KILLER".

Like, it's such a massive leap in logic and reading so much that's flat out not there.
    100% agreed. I only remember it because people keep bringing it up, years later. I thought it was just mildly provocative marketing designed to get people talking. Nothing about that line indicates that they or the players will consider it a "WoW Killer".

Quote Originally Posted by Kelraxx View Post
    WAR could have been such a great game... was sad when that one died off.
    Yea it has a privately run server tho by volunteers at the mercy of EA, shame mythic at the time never put much effort into the game it could have been great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

After about an hour of reading, I'm more of the mind that the various MMO communities took it as Trion announcing itself as the new best thing (it could have been, but LOL Trion) and not a semi-clever spin on a Wizard of Oz reference. I do remember reading somewhere that the salt mine over at Blizzard actually threatened Trion with legal action and they quickly dropped that particular ad campaign (which was only seen on their pre-order trailer).

The slogan was created to generate a buzz in the MMO community, which it did- but there's a certain implication there. I realize it's not a direct assertion but I'm sure part of ambiguity of this statement was riding on the wings of it being a successor to the MMO genre at the time. Had it actually become the next big thing, one can only wonder how aggressive their advertising would have become.
    Last edited by Mercane; 2017-03-16 at 08:32 PM.

Really? That's the first I've heard of Blizzard threatening Trion. I can't imagine the legal argument they'd have used, since there's not a single logical one I can think of.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    "We're not in Azeroth anymore"

If an advertisement tagline from over six years ago is still stuck in people's minds, consider it a job well done, here you all are six years later still talking about it.

There's very few ads that stick in my head after even a few months but stuff like "this ain't Pepsi" or "where's the beef?" still stick somehow

Anyhow even the head hocho said it was designed to get a good laugh:

Source: http://www.alistdaily.com/media/warc...or-says-trion/

Also if you're too young to even know where the original idea for the tagline came from.....

It stuck with people of how outrageous retarded it is. Then people use it now because Rift is a dying husk and running on a skeleton crew for god knows how long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep trying to level my character through nightmare tide to play the new expansion but i die of boredom a few quests in :S