Thread: DNS Issues

10+ Year Old Account

DNS Issues

Hello, I was hoping someone here could shed some light on my issue. I am constantly loading internet, like several times within a minute, then it's fine for a half hour, then I keep dropping. When webpages stop loading, I run the troubleshooter, and it comes back with:

"Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (Primary DNS Server)"

Then my internet works no problem for a bit longer.

I've tried googling this of course but a lot of people say it's an ISP issue. Sadly, I have 4 PCs connected to the same router and this PC is the only one with the issue.

Things I've tried:

Changing the DNS on my PC to 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4
    Changing the DNS on the router to the above.
    Restarting the router.
    Multiple configurations:
    Connected via Wifi extender to Router
    Connected to router using 2.4 GHz
    Connected to router using 5 GHz

The only difference between my computer, and the one beside it is that I am using a wifi dongle, and the other has a PCI-E network card (Literally identical PCs otherwise). I've tried two different wifi dongles, no difference.

I have yet to try using a wired connection due to the pain of having to unhook and move my entire set up, so I'll try that out if I can't get any further.

I'm in the process of switching ISPs, for various reasons, so maybe that will fix it.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

I just pinged my ISP's DNS server and got 75% packet loss.
    Last edited by Taurous; 2017-03-14 at 12:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried swapping the PCI-E network card to test that out?

Wifi usb dongles are notorious for being awful.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a wireless issue if you are getting dropped packets.

1. Is the router/wifi on the other end of the house? Could just be a weak wireless signal due to distance or obstructions (concrete/steel walls/floors are horrible for wifi)
    2. Have you tried a different wireless channel? Could be interference from a neighbors wifi.

On a final note. WiFi for the most part sucks when you are talking about reliable network connectivity. It's worth the time and effort to run a cat 5 cable if possible.

edit: Also range extenders are known to cause problems. Especially in already noisy environments.

You may want to look into powerline networking products. Found this from a quick google. https://www.cnet.com/topics/networki...line-adapters/
    Last edited by dicertification; 2017-03-15 at 05:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    My guess is it's the dongle. Those things really really suck in my experience.
    I agree it's the dongle. I had the exact same issues OP. Followed the exact same steps. Took the time / expense to run cable and issue resolved instantly.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the replies. Twas difficult, but I have moved the router so I more or less have a line of sight with it. I haven't done any testing yet, but I have eliminated the extender. I would have tried swapping the PCI card but I have a slightly bigger graphics card than the other computer and with our micro ATX boards, mine has no room for a card under it (fans hit it).

I would run cable, but I am moving in a few months, plus this is a rental and there are no convenient ways to route the cable that won't be in the way.

I'll just deal with what I have for now, thanks all.