Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    Frankly I had women in mind when I thought about anime, as they seem to be one of the strongest proponents of anime and manga here. Then again, perhaps my view is tainted from confirmation bias.

However, if you compare ME and Final Fantasy XV, for instance, Final Fantasy XV had much stronger sales in Japan than Mass Effect, while its impact is also very strong in the US and Europe. It's hard to find a rationale explanation to this which does not categorize cultural behaviors.
    Asian GAMES have huge appeal in the US and Europe, there's no question about that. But speaking strictly of manga and anime, they're not nearly as mainstream as asian games are in the west. Again, with the exception of Pokemon I'd say.

Think of it this way, Mario vs Naruto, Zelda vs Death Note or Attack on Titan etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's all about the gameplay, perhaps a little bit about the story. Different type of games for different type of people and yes, even that is influenced by cultural norms.

Not really. Anime and Mangas have a very strong worldwide public. Just think about Naruto, a blond-haired, blue-eyed extroverted protagonist.

Japan tend to live in its own little cultural bubble that is very strongly appreciated locally, but also internationally. But since they live so much in it, it's very hard for them to seek out other products (one big problem being region-lock).
    But ME isn't a manga and didn't originate from an asian culture.

It's a western story with western animation and western-looking protagonists - that's a totally different scenario than an eastern-animated story from Japan with a blonde protagonist.

Traditional western science fiction isn't popular in Asia - Star Trek is a great example. Mass Effect falls into this same category along with stuff like Stargate. None of them see much popularity outside of western audiences.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2017-03-14 at 10:31 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post

It's a western story with western animation and western-looking protagonists - that's a totally different scenario than an eastern-animated story from Japan with a blonde protagonist.
    Ironically, there is at least one anime movie made after Mass Effect 3, or rather as a prequel to ME3. Paragon Lost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Asian GAMES have huge appeal in the US and Europe, there's no question about that. But speaking strictly of manga and anime, they're not nearly as mainstream as asian games are in the west. Again, with the exception of Pokemon I'd say.

Think of it this way, Mario vs Naruto, Zelda vs Death Note or Attack on Titan etc.
    That would be accurate. My example of Manga and Anime wasn't accurate for the point I was making, so you are right.

Traditional western science fiction isn't popular in Asia - Star Trek is a great example. Mass Effect falls into this same category along with stuff like Stargate. None of them see much popularity outside of western audiences.
    You can actually customize your character in ME, though, and the characters are highly diversified.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Bethesda and Bioware RPGs in general are just terribly written and have stale gameplay compared to most eastern games. All in the name of giving you "choices" that are just the illusion of choice. The only western RPG developers that seem to "get it" are Obsidian and CDPR. Witcher 3 still suffers a bit from the stale gameplay but at least it's story isn't a narrative on the developer's political agendas like most western games these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can actually customize your character in ME, though, and the characters are highly diversified.
    That's nitpicky and doesn't refute my argument at all. Gameplay customisation doesn't mean there isn't a canon protagonist - who in this case is male and white. It also doesn't change the fact that the games are full of western sci-fi tropes and themes, and are realised fully within a western art style.

Western sci-fi just doesn't do well in Asian countries, for whatever reason.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Bethesda and Bioware RPGs in general are just terribly written and have stale gameplay compared to most eastern games. All in the name of giving you "choices" that are just the illusion of choice. The only western RPG developers that seem to "get it" are Obsidian and CDPR. Witcher 3 still suffers a bit from the stale gameplay but at least it's story isn't a narrative on the developer's political agendas like most western games these days.
    "Bethesda" and "RPG" in the same sentence. HAH!

15+ Year Old Account
    1. Don't ever use vgchartz
    2. Bioware went full sjw and are catering to tumblrites which only exist in the western world
    Last edited by Video Games; 2017-03-14 at 10:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's nitpicky and doesn't refute my argument at all. Gameplay customisation doesn't mean there isn't a canon protagonist - who in this case is male and white. It also doesn't change the fact that the games are full of western sci-fi tropes and themes, and are realised fully within a western art style.

Western sci-fi just doesn't do well in Asian countries, for whatever reason.
    That's not accurate, which is the problem with your point. Bioware's game offer in-depth customization. The game doesn't force a gender or culture upon your character. All of this is left to the player to decide when they create their character. Plus, it would fail to explain why Mirror's Edge had such a hard time to sell, since the protagonist is an asian female.

Now, about that particular cultural tropes point, then yes I can agree with that. It's a matter of culture, which is not something you can reconcile easily.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    2. Bioware went full sjw and are catering to tumblrites which only exist in the western world
    I thought these people didn't buy games, just complained about them.

Also, I thought they were a minority. If they're the target audience being catered to, how is the game still selling millions of copies?

This argument doesn't make a lick of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Neither does bioware's writing of LGBT characters but they still do it just to act like they're high and mighty on the moral throne.

Neither does bioware's writing of LGBT characters but they still do it just to act like they're high and mighty on the moral throne.
    Eh, I don't get the upset, personally. Played through all of ME3 and honestly, what's his face gay crew dudes story was easily the most relatable and "emotive" one of the lot, IMO. His sexuality was presented as a long secondary focus, well behind the more human issues of dealing with loss and grief. Beyond that and my lesbian sexytime with that one lady on the ship who you can't bring on missions (Traynor? I forget her name), I can't think of anything in ME3 that even raised my eyebrows. It was arguably the best writing I can remember in a BioWare game (I think their writing is largely overrated to hell).

Same goes for DA:I with how far I'm in at the moment (got Skyhold). I've not been really talking to all my companions to see their story, but I've literally not encountered shit in the main story and all the side missions (I've been focusing on those) so far that caused me to pause/get confused. I know there's that trans dude with Iron Bull or something when you first meet him, but that's largely because I saw all the articles about it when the game came out. The actual exchange with him in-game was largely standard shit.

My memory may be failing me, but honestly the majority of the "outrage" I've seen is anti-SJW folks blowing small things way out of proportion and being just as obnoxious as the SJW folks they complain about.

When a token gay character is just there to be a token gay character that you can romance that's not good writing or game design.

Granted, this just isn't the gay relationships as all the relationships in Bioware games are trash it's just the gay ones are even more cringe and forced then the straight ones.

Here's a thought, why do you need to fuck anyone in a sci fi rpg about saving the galaxy? Relationships in games like this started as ways to entice teenage boys and have progressed into just filling a quota to meet your political agenda.

Here's a thought, why do you need to fuck anyone in a sci fi rpg about saving the galaxy? Relationships in games like this started as ways to entice teenage boys and have progressed into just filling a quota to meet your political agenda.
    Can you explain how you need to fuck anyone in ME? It's completely optional side content that you don't have to do. The fact that your opinion is "all the relationships in Bioware games are trash" implies that you've taken the time to see all of them. That shows a lot of time investment into something you don't seem to care about.

Here's a thought, why do you need to fuck anyone in a sci fi rpg about saving the galaxy?
    You don't. I did in ME just for the hilarious cutscene animations that are absurdly awkward. Probably won't bother in DA:I, unless I can maybe score with that dwarf chick who tells you about zones because that would be silly to me. It's not as if it's hard to avoid romances, the bloody flirt/fuck option is in the dialogue wheel and you can just avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krastyn View Post
    Can you explain how you need to fuck anyone in ME? It's completely optional side content that you don't have to do. The fact that your opinion is "all the relationships in Bioware games are trash" implies that you've taken the time to see all of them. That shows a lot of time investment into something you don't seem to care about.
    Why does it need to be in the game in the first place again? Why couldn't there be more effort put into making interesting characters to talk to instead of having 20 different sex scenes? Why does bioware try to force intimate relationships on you just because you're trying to spend time with a character to learn about them?

It's terrible game design and writing but keep on trying to defend it.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't.
    Not 1, but 2 people taking that comment as overly literal when it was clearly explained as "why does it need to be in the game in the first place". Comical.

Stood in the Fire Lisa Frank Succubus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I thought these people didn't buy games, just complained about them.

Also, I thought they were a minority. If they're the target audience being catered to, how is the game still selling millions of copies?

I think its less them and more that certain people who fit the internet's definition of "SJW" are very popular and have gained enough influence to pressure certain studios. I'm very careful about using the word SJW because it can mean different things to certain people.

Personally I think Blizzard does a good job with "diversity" without making it seem painfully forced and pandering. Bioware nowadays is on the opposite end of the spectrum, with one of their gameplay designers for Andromeda proudly tweeting about how much he hates white people in a non-tongue in cheek way. Come on dude, really? You're free to speaks your mind and it doesn't offend me but I just roll at my eyes at someone who is suppose tp be "professional" behaving in such a way for lots of consumers of his product to see.

Its a shame because I really adored both Baldure's Gate, Dragon Age Origins and the Mass Effect Trilogy. I'll probably eventually buy Andromeda just because I can't resist Me's style of sci-fi, it reminds me so much of Farscape..

And to answer the OP: ME isn't as popular in Japan for the same reason jrpgs are more niche here. Differing tastes and cultures.
    Last edited by Lisa Frank Succubus; 2017-03-14 at 11:46 PM.

Why does it need to be in the game in the first place again? Why couldn't there be more effort put into making interesting characters to talk to instead of having 20 different sex scenes? Why does bioware try to force intimate relationships on you just because you're trying to spend time with a character to learn about them?

It's terrible game design and writing but keep on trying to defend it.

- - - Updated - - -

Not 1, but 2 people taking that comment as overly literal when it was clearly explained as "why does it need to be in the game in the first place". Comical.
    Sex is a realistic part of the human condition for the vast majority of humans on earth. When you work closely in a small group feelings arrise, aka office romance, add in fighting and killing, emotions run high. This isn't COD where You go from level to level with no in between. A large par of the mass effect series is the emotional interactions with people outside of missions, romance is apart of those interactions.

They don't force romance on you it is complexly optional, if you get ninja romanced it your own fault, I have been ninja romanced as well, you can break it off, shit like this happens in real-life too,when one person develops feelings with the other with the other party being oblivious till they outright come out and say it. its called the friendzone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikegreenfire View Post
    Sex is a realistic part of the human condition for the vast majority of humans on earth. When you work closely in a small group feelings arrise, aka office romance, add in fighting and killing, emotions run high. This isn't COD where You go from level to level with no in between. A large par of the mass effect series is the emotional interactions with people outside of missions, romance is apart of those interactions.

They don't force romance on you it is complexly optional, if you get ninja romanced it your own fault, I have been ninja romanced as well, you can break it off, shit like this happens in real-life too,when one person develops feelings with the other with the other party being oblivious till they outright come out and say it. its called the friendzone.
    Comparing anything bioware relationship with a real life relationship.

Thanks for the laugh but have you actually been in real world relationships? Bioware relationship writing is worse then an MTV reality show.

If you want a less literal approach - why not?

It's an RPG, and RPG's over the years have dabbled in romance subplots that run parallel with their stories. It's not as if there isn't plenty of other pointless side-shit going on while the galaxy is at risk. I mean, do we really need to be endorsing shops in the Citadel or finding someones family heirloom? I see no reason to view it with any more or less skepticism than the rest of the non-story related side shit in the game.