Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Wouldn't the world be more fun if it was perpetually shrouded in fog?

Seriously, I love Silent Hill's fog atmosphere. Sometimes at night in LA you'll get everything covered in thick fog like in SH but by the morning it's gone. Rarely are there times where fog like that lasts throughout the day.

Wouldn't it be fun and more calm if fog simply enshrouded the world like that 24/7 with some helpings of rain? I personally also enjoy fog because it openly conveys the world's true, evil nature. Moreso than rain.

15+ Year Old Account
    What.........

No.

I'm allergic to fog.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Fog? Hell no driving through it sucks hard. Do you perhaps mean overcast since you're talking about rain? Cause that I'd be cool with I love overcast weather

Driving would be an issue. Going through any winding road would be nearly impossible without going at a snail's pace.

I think I'll pass. Plus there is the Mist to worry about. How would one be able to tell the difference?

Deleted
    No - not the WHOLE world - that would be boring. Maybe a smaller area.

No, fuck fog. Fog can look nice if you're out hiking and it's early in the morning with the sun rising but other than that, fuck fog.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    No - not the WHOLE world - that would be boring. Maybe a smaller area.
    Perhaps a Silent area . . .

Seriously though - it would be interesting if we lived in fog - our whole society would change, and we might develop, on an evolutionary level, IR sight. Plus, I think we basically just elected a perpetual fogginess . . . .

No, I ride a motorcycle, and spend half my time dodging cars that "don't see me." When it's foggy, I spend almost all my time dodging cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    Driving would be an issue. Going through any winding road would be nearly impossible without going at a snail's pace.

I think I'll pass. Plus there is the Mist to worry about. How would one be able to tell the difference?
    This is one of the problems with the world. People are so enslaved to driving.

I remember when walking was a thing. Now look at the state of the world, people always reliant on automobiles and die often to something as pointless as vehicle collision, leaving behind families or friends to mourn over such meaningless deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    This is one of the problems with the world. People are so enslaved to driving.

I remember when walking was a thing. Now look at the state of the world, people always reliant on automobiles and die often to something as pointless as vehicle collision, leaving behind families or friends to mourn over such meaningless deaths.
    That's not true everywhere. It depends on the city you live the urban planning. In quite a few cities subways and rail are the way to go.

But everywhere being fog is just not the way to go because now you have to deal with no sunlight and the depression that sets in for people who don't get enough sunlight.

Certain times of the year that big Mordor California valley fills up with fog. People drive 70-80 miles an hour through it even though you can't see squat.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    That's not true everywhere. It depends on the city you live the urban planning. In quite a few cities subways and rail are the way to go.

But everywhere being fog is just not the way to go because now you have to deal with no sunlight and the depression that sets in for people who don't get enough sunlight.
    Why do people enjoy sunlight, personal question, and even to a point it gets depressing without it? Weather is hot, blinds or disorients eyes, encourages spoiled humans to turn on their air conditioners and spend pointless money.

The sun and its light has every quality to depress people.

Deleted
    No?

I did not expect the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Why do people enjoy sunlight, personal question, and even to a point it gets depressing without it? Weather is hot, blinds or disorients eyes, encourages spoiled humans to turn on their air conditioners and spend pointless money.

The sun and its light has every quality to depress people.
    Sunlight provides Vitamin D naturally without the need for supplements. Anything that helps you not have to take pills is A-ok in my book That aside the Sunlight need not be hot. In the Artic Circle you can get 3 months of sunlight at a time which can be unnerving for some people but the alternative I believe is much worse.

Deleted
    First, from an evolution standpoint, if the whole world was covered in fog, we'd be blind or our vision would be severely impaired. This is due to the fact that vision would not be an important sense to develop and our ancestors who had would have died easier, leaving those that have better hearing, smell or sense of vibrations.
    So, from the start, no.

But let's say that the world would be shrouded in fog today forever. Then, ignoring all accidents occurring around and the inability of humans to do some tasks which are quite easy to do today (like building a bigger building with a crane or crossing the street in safety), the plants would start to die without sunlight. Then, the animals. Then us. We'd attempt to bring back the sun, and if it was some kind of natural phenomenon, we might actually be able to. But if it was not or it was too big, our world would start to cool under the fog. Plants would die, then animals, and in the frozen foggy land, we'd start fighting one another to eat what was left... then to eat eachother. Eventually only small communities would survive with uv lights growing food in special conditions.

Certain times of fog and rain are ok though. But not forever.

Since my job involves driving: fuck no. Abso-fuck-nope.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love it from time to time but I wouldn't want it continuously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watch stephen kings The Mist.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Watch stephen kings The Mist.
    Love that ending.