Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Developer Q&A - Matt Goss: Legion Itemization

Developer Q&A - Matt Goss: Legion Itemization
    Lead Game Designer Matt Goss will be answering Legion itemization questions today.

15+ Year Old Account
    Really hoping they address RNG concerns with gearing.

Also the beef with some stats being outright terrible for certain specs (some are even worse than VERS).

RNG, plz more RNG. Not.

7+ Year Old Account
    delete RNG from the game pls

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AoBman05 View Post
    Really hoping they address RNG concerns with gearing.

Also the beef with some stats being outright terrible for certain specs (some are even worse than VERS).
    What does it mean if Versatility is one of the better stats for rogues...?

I would just like balance across how well certain stats improve your character, i.e. Haste with Monks and Rogues.

I'm fine with the randomness of legendaries and that some are much better than others, just as long as they don't tune raids, mythic+, or any content around the expectation that people have x-legendaries. The same goes for maxing out artifact weapons. Love the system, just as long as raids aren't tuned around it. Unfortunately they haven't done this, and it's creating problems as we move deeper into the expansion. Nighthold (mainly mythic) has created problems for raiding guilds due (in part) to this issue. We have great reliable raiders who have a wealth of experience, but not all of them have the time to max out 1-2 artifact weapon specs, nor the time to farm up legendaries. Alts are out of the equation entirely this time around if you're trying to maintain decent raid progression and manage all of the things that go with that, such as retention, motivation, etc. Mythic Emerald Nightmare had a nice natural progression. Mythic Nighthold does not.

LOLZ again at legendaries, they really think that adding or upgrading a little the offstats like that, that wuld make the legendary the same power as the BiS legendaries who change greatly a spec, they did'nt realize that no-bis legendarie are just epic item with big stat, its nothing more

Reforging also meant an interruption to your raid, as you had to go and reforge an item.
    Vendoring higher level item with versa and mastery surely feels better.

Stood in the Fire Grimalkin of Old's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This Q&A is getting more viewers than PVP one, is that weird or what

Patch 7.2 attempts to narrow the gap further. You shouldn't feel like you need a specific legendary item to do content. If you have multiple legendary items, you should feel like you have a choice.

Who's betting I still need the best ones for Resto Shaman? Sorry but from what I've seen on adjustments it looks like some are still best in slot and there is barely any choice.

Quote Originally Posted by kaintk View Post
    LOLZ again at legendaries, they really think that adding or upgrading a little the offstats like that, that wuld make the legendary the same power as the BiS legendaries who change greatly a spec, they did'nt realize that no-bis legendarie are just epic item with big stat, its nothing more
    Adding more stats to Prydaz made it one of the top Resto Shaman legendaries. Plus it is good, though not BiS for most classes.

The sets give you a reason to run different content to complete the set.

The small two set pieces like the one in Arcway and Court of Stars are cool.

That's why nobody is touching them right? Because they are cool.... oh wait.

Does the itemization team even know what they are doing sometimes?

The stats/reforging / 2ndary stas issue , it will be amazing when Blizz figures out how to make EVERYTHING that drops, Spec specific like they do for Tier sets. They could even make it 1 spec per token.
    Example* I get a token for a ring , I am in Assassination spec. I can either "use" the item in my current spec OR switch specs to Sub or Outlaw, the token for that ring will STAY stated for whatever Spec I "cashed it in/used" it in.
    THey could even keep it Top 3 stats for the spec, so there is some wiggle for Stat weight changes during an xpac/tier
    ilvl STILL is not a clear indicator of what is best for your spec. in a lot of cases. even 20-30 ilvl increases.

next xpac notes:

Secondary stats removed.

Reforging lets players make items more optimal, but it isn't a great solution to the current problem of some higher item level items not being as good as lower item level items.

Reforging made every upgrade more difficult to figure out, as you had to consider the base item and all of the variations you could make.

Reforging also meant an interruption to your raid, as you had to go and reforge an item.
    What a complete load of horse shit.

The team realized just how many set pieces they were missing when building the transmog set UI for Patch 7.2.
    Because they didn't quite get the message from the players ever since transmog was introduced?
    Last edited by BobAwesome; 2017-03-16 at 07:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    I call BS on that dev's entire statement because of the tokens from raid bosses. You can't equip a TOKEN at all. You have to go turn it in to get usable gear.
    If you right-click a token it turns into the equivalent piece of gear. You don't have to go anywhere. (And in 7.2 that will apply to all tokens, not just Legion tokens.)

Deleted
    This was such a waste. Like over 70% of those questions have already been answered in Blue-Posts or earlier Q&As.
    Gosh.

The biggest problem with itemization currently is Titanforged allowing gear to swing too much in ilvl for a given difficulty. If Titanforging went away (or was capped at reasonable increases, say +5 for warforged, +10 for titanforged), players would get natually geared by doing progressively more difficult content.

Its hard to balance gear or get meaningful progression when you can have random items jump 30-40 item levels.

For Beast Mastery, 2 charges for Dire Beast as baseline and Mantle of Command still adds an additional charge. It's not like BM single target is blowing away the dps charts, an extra charge wouldn't throw balance out of whack.