Question about setting up a second router with VPN.

So I'm thinking of setting up a 2nd router with a VPN.

My question is, should I run the second router through the first router or have the routers run through a switch?
    Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I support the other side.

10+ Year Old Account
    What exactly are you trying to accomplish? That is part of the answer.

You can't do a setup like Modem -> Switch -> Router 1 and Router 2. The modem will just pick one (or be set to one) and the other won't be used. You could in theory swap between them, though.

And putting a second router behind the first would make the first kind of moot. But, again, depends on what you're doing. What is the network setup and goal?

A switch just acts as an 'add more ports' piece of hardware. It won't achieve anything special beyond that. A "4 port router" is literally a router + 4 port switch in the same box. Standard networking stuff still applies. A switch won't change or bypass anything.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The first router will remain the same(no VPN software installed) so there are no issues as I 've read some sites and services do not work well with VPNs. The second router will have a VPN installed (DD-WRT and IPVanish) on to it.

My HTPC is the one with the VPN on it, for reasons

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdasher View Post
    The first router will remain the same(no VPN software installed) so there are no issues as I 've read some sites and services do not work well with VPNs. The second router will have a VPN installed (DD-WRT and IPVanish) on to it.
    Just because a router supports VPN, doesn't mean the VPN has to be used all the time.

Having two routers for this makes zero sense unless the first has some other issue or performs some critical task the second can't.

In reference to Synthaxx's suggestion, a 5-8 port gigabit ethernet switch is dirt cheap. You can spend as little as $10 or so.

If your existing router can support some flavour of DDWRT or Asuswrt-Merlin (ideal), you can easily have it setup to use a VPN and setup routing policies to direct specific traffic thru the VPN, leaving all other traffic to flow freely through your regular WAN connection. This is exactly how I use mine for my NAS's BT software.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

So I'm thinking of setting up a 2nd router with a VPN.

My question is, should I run the second router through the first router or have the routers run through a switch?
    First router/modem will be connected with your ISP. However, your 2nd router will be connected to the first modem/ router via an ethernet cable. That means your 2nd router will be stand-alone. I tried it with ivacy vpn, then ipvanish just to explore stuff but as it turns out, the 2nd router is necessary in any case and it won't be possible without it (just in case anyone else is wondering). And yeah, it should be through the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by ZachGold View Post
    First router/modem will be connected with your ISP. However, your 2nd router will be connected to the first modem/ router via an ethernet cable. That means your 2nd router will be stand-alone. I tried it with ivacy vpn, then ipvanish just to explore stuff but as it turns out, the 2nd router is necessary in any case and it won't be possible without it (just in case anyone else is wondering). And yeah, it should be through the first one.
    Thank you very much.

Thank you very much.
    Are routers better than casual soft? I can’t surf web without VPN protection, it became like an internet hygiene for me. Can’t stand even the thought that someone might be looking at what i’m doing atm, it’s just creepy. Tried lots of VPN providers, free and for payment, and all i conclude from this experience is this vpn vpnow.org/ software could be even better than “premium” VPN. OpenVPN technology provides high level security, great surfing speed, decent ping for playing, only thing is limited traffic, but that is common thing among all VPNs. Are my judgments correct?