Poll: How would you have handled the situation?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    It's a song, at most it could last 5 minutes, just sit there and smile.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Have their daughter sing a song as a gift to another couple? Sure if their daugher were famous that would be a gift but c'mon, did they forget to buy something or maybe they do think their daughter is really talanted...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    I was at an anniversary party for this couple that I'm friends with. There were about 25 people there total. Another couple (that I'm also friends with) decided that instead of buying a gift, they would have their 13-year-old daughter sing a song as their "gift".

Now I wasn't expecting an Adele-like performance or anything like that, but the singing was truly awful. It was more like screaming. I felt so bad for the kid, she had no idea that she was embarrassing herself in front of all these people. So after about 30 seconds, I pretended like I thought the song was over and started clapping. Everyone else started clapping as well, which brought the singing to a merciful end. But the parents of the kid are pissed at me now, claiming that I ruined their "gift".

First of all, I didn't think it was much of a gift to begin with, I know these people have plenty of money to buy an actual gift instead of having their daughter sing a song. Secondly, I believe I was doing them and their daughter a favor by ending it prematurely. I never told them that the singing was terrible, I maintained to them and the kid that I truly thought the song was over.

Did I do something wrong here? How would you have handled the situation?
    I would have STFU and let the kid have her 3 minutes.

And yes, you did something wrong. You ruined a moment, however painful it might have been, that had nothing to do with you and wasn't for you. So it wasn't your place to judge how much of a 'gift' it was. Nothing about your post comes across as 'I was doing it for her, I felt so badly for her' as much as it does "omg terribad singing, I mercy killed it".

No matter how awful she sounded, that's just plain rude.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    You did the right thing.
    I have to agree here. I mean it's not ideal - her parents are mad at you - but it certainly wasn't a bad call.

Deleted
    Well it was a bit of a dick move and probably embarrassed the 13 y/o, could've just let her finish or sneak away

Might as well let her finish the song.

For whatever reason, she and her parents think she's a good singer.
    Let her have her moment

Bit selfish to be honest.

OMG it's a whole new level of weird to take interesting situations from TV shows and claim them as stories of your own.. If the dilemma peaked your interest, why not just say it was from a TV show and ask people what they'd do?
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

Well its a bit more difficult with her being 13, 13 year old girls like to sing. Some people here will be arses and say you should just stop her, but you shouldn't. It takes a lot for a kid that age to get up and sing in front of people, telling her she sucks could potentially be a massive dent to her confidence,

In regards to the parents, regardless if you're going to see them or not, you should of just apologized and said I thought it was done, my mistake honestly. If they want to make a issue out of it after that, its not your problem

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Basemath View Post
    OMG it's a whole new level of weird to take interesting situations from TV shows and claim them as stories of your own.. If the dilemma peaked your interest, why not just say it was from a TV show and ask people what they'd do?
    Because people are THAT bored

Nothing worse than stupid, delusional parents. Their precious hellspawn that thinks he/she can sing/write/paint.

i whouldve emptied my drink and left the room to go get anotherone. then id pull up my phone and looked at random stuff for a minute or so until its over xD