Thumbs up [FROST] Thronebreaker and Mastery

The way Crystalline Swords works is that some 5% of melee hits (from either hand) trigger another hit; Frost damage equivilent to an auto-attack (before Frost modifiers).

So Thronebreaker means that Obliterate now has a frost component equal to 100% of AP.

Is this the elusive Obliterate/Mastery scaling we've been waiting for?

Can you explain a bit in depth? This sounds interesting.

It's pretty simple. Just think about it.

Mastery = % buff to frost damage. Ordinarily, this wouldn't interact with our Obliterate because Obliterate is only physical damage. However, Thronebreaker makes it so each Obliterate cast will now proc Crystalline Swords, which is frost damage, and therefore scales with our mastery. The tricky thing here is that the magnitude of the Obliterate itself doesn't affect the magnitude of the CS proc. They're wholly separate abilities that just happen to be chained together. So he's right in that the generic act of casting Obliterate will now scale with mastery, but things that buff our Obliterates won't actually affect the CS proc to which it's tied. (For example, things like Ambidexterity, Nothing but the Boots and Killing Machine will buff the damage that Oblit does, but won't touch the CS proc that Thronebreaker provides)

Quote Originally Posted by Shazdk View Post
    things that buff our Obliterates won't actually affect the CS proc to which it's tied.
    Ie. Obliterate still doesn't scale with mastery in any meaningful sense.

@Hyperborean @Shazdk do you guys know how to calculate the damage of crystalline swords? looking at logs, it seems to do way more damage than the calculation's ive seen and seems to be proportional to OBL damage (before mastery scaling)

Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    Ie. Obliterate still doesn't scale with mastery in any meaningful sense.
    Except Oblit now does extra frost damage, So it does. Anything that gives any stat will make the damage of TB go up one way or another, Not to mention you actually gain damage from Mastery Procs while Obliting...I dont get why people are complaining about this. Getting an extra ~45% frost damage on Oblit is insane. (thats from my personal logs, looking at last night)

Its a great trait, and the only issue is how they're going to keep it in game after we stop using the weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesquish View Post
    Its a great trait, and the only issue is how they're going to keep it in game after we stop using the weapons.
    I wouldn't worry about that yet. They are going to take a hacksaw and cut every single spec in game into a mess with the next expansion, mush the remains together in a "new" way and do the same mistakes they did this and the last 5 times over and over again, before they reach a usable point somewhere mid to end of the expansion. This has been happening since the end of 2004 .

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I wouldn't worry about that yet. They are going to take a hacksaw and cut every single spec in game into a mess with the next expansion, mush the remains together in a "new" way and do the same mistakes they did this and the last 5 times over and over again, before they reach a usable point somewhere mid to end of the expansion. This has been happening since the end of 2004 .
    Yea, I agree, I don't think they'll keep any version of Thronebreaker in, even though its pretty close to what all of us have been asking for.

Except Oblit now does extra frost damage, So it does. Anything that gives any stat will make the damage of TB go up one way or another, Not to mention you actually gain damage from Mastery Procs while Obliting...I dont get why people are complaining about this. Getting an extra ~45% frost damage on Oblit is insane. (thats from my personal logs, looking at last night)

so just be sure here (not arguing, just want numbers confirmation as i've been looking for it) Crystalline swords does 45% of the damage from the attack it procs from? in this case it would be obliterate correct? before mastery, and then scales with mastery afterwards? and is the damage based on the the main hand swing or the combination of both?

Quote Originally Posted by garonne View Post
    so just be sure here (not arguing, just want numbers confirmation as i've been looking for it) Crystalline swords does 45% of the damage from the attack it procs from? in this case it would be obliterate correct? before mastery, and then scales with mastery afterwards? and is the damage based on the the main hand swing or the combination of both?
    Im not saying it does 45% damage DIRECTLY from the Oblit damage, I'm saying the damage it does it around 45% of what Oblit does (Combined MH and OH)

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...done&source=12

Now obviously anything with HEAVY AoE is going to cause it to be less overall damage, but here's a Trill kill where its at 44.04% damage Proccing 67 times from Oblit.

Krosus :

Doing 47.42%

Now for a full on AoE nerd fest fight (altought we dont scumbag it as much as people with high ranks, cause we're not 100% scum)

Tich:

Now it still does 44% here (Obviously since Oblit damage isnt reduced by AoE, cause it directly scales off of Oblit damage, not Overall), but the damage it deals is only 4.65% which is still a hefty gain on AoE fights.

I dont really understand the Mastery Question, It should'nt double dip with mastery if thats what your asking, just the once.

I think the general and none OP % most of us were asking for was around 40% extra frost damage.

So this is basically better than what any realist was wanting.

I guess I should add that this is at 911 Ilvl with 40% Mastery, so if you have less, than the breakdown could be a little different
    Last edited by Nemesquish; 2017-04-12 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Added Stats

If the CS damage is based on the damage Obliterate does, you can say Obliterate scales with Mastery. If not, you're just using words wrong.

snip
    what i was asking for was the spell data, (i.e. 100% AP damage)

Deleted
    Thronebreaker damage doesn't scale with the damage from the Obliterate, it's just that the damage from a usual CS and a Thronebreaker CS are different :

Crystalline sword damage is 120% of Attack Power, Thonebreaker CS damage is 150% AP (300% pre-nerf).

Quote Originally Posted by garonne View Post
    what i was asking for was the spell data, (i.e. 100% AP damage)
    Ah gotcha, Melekus got you.

its essentially the HFC FDK class trinket which is great

Quote Originally Posted by Baddok21 View Post
    its essentially the HFC FDK class trinket which is great
    Yep, the ability should just be baked into the class. Will help solve end game scaling issues in the future, and also another knob to turn rather than getting the Unholy Might treatment every tier/expansion