Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Horn of Valor overvalued?

Looking over top logs it doesn't seem like horn of valor+CoS outperforms other trinket+CoS in any meaningful way.

Do the sims overvalue horn of valor? Is it related to not having a proper sim for BoS?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is more a case of it being much more difficult comparatively to obtain a high ilevel Horn compared to foci/cof and even memento.

I've been wondering this for a long time, myself.

I have every meaningful trinket available, including an 885 Horn of Valor. I feel like it's way overvalued by sims. I swapped out for an 890 Foci and didn't notice a difference.

I have a hunch that 1900+ full time strength will end up beating the Horn's 30 sec burst, as there is just some junk Vers on Horn for the majority of the fight.

Deleted
    I'm playing with my Horn since a long time.
    I've tested many combo, and on short fight Horn will be great for sure.

Take Foci for example : Can be awesome if it proc at the right moment. And awefull if not (have saw 1 proc over 6min fight. Not that great)

Now i also have a pretty good trinkets bank :
    Foci 905
    Horn 895
    Hunger 890 (used outdore for the speed buff, just awesome)
    Momento 890 (was used most of the time before i droop it for CoF, still use it for short fight)
    CoF 890

The Foci is fresh, will give it a try next time because of that 2160+ perma STR. With CoF most of the time. Where i don't use CoF is on really short fight (Horic mode most of the time) and MM+ (boss fight, when i use CoF if 2 boss are close and i'll not have the time to refresh BoS)
    From what i've tested before, Foci was not that great because proc rate is awefull (but when we look the Loggs, uptime is pretty the same as Momento)

What does awefull means?

If you comparer a 905 horn with a 905 foci you will easly notice how horn beats other mythic trinkets. the biggest problem at the moment is the drop rate from halls of valor. Takes max 27 minutes to 3chest and iif you aren't lucky with titanforges you'll get stuck at a 885 horn. Personally I would go with a 905 foci or even a 895 chain with mastery untill a 895+ horn drops.

Horn isn't overvalued it's just hard to get at high itemlevel.

Quote Originally Posted by Khain View Post
    What does awefull means?
    Oh look, some jerk that thinks he is Ernest Hemingway and always spells correctly. Well, let us have a look at said jerks' posts:

Unreal how people play victim on every situation. No utility? i think move speed is a pretty nice utility specially with the ring, people dont realize how helpful that move speed is, and also monks have probably the best aoe in the game which comes pretty handy on encounters like Tichondrius where you need someone to clear those bats really fast.
    I think the word you were looking for is "especially".

Wrong! the helm was useless before the patch because it didn't work on bosses, only targets that could get slow would get the extra dmg buff.
    The correct word here would be "slowed".

Amazing! First 2 posts I found of yours featured misspelled words.

When trying to make fun of others, perhaps one should not look quite so moronic themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Oh look, some jerk that thinks he is Ernest Hemingway and always spells correctly. Well, let us have a look at said jerks' posts:

When trying to make fun of others, perhaps one should not look quite so moronic themselves.
    Maybe he just asked what do you think is a bad proc rate, and not making fun of your spelling, because maybe there's an option you are not the center of the universe and such...

10+ Year Old Account
    It's because of how Breath builds work. It's an on use STR trinket that lasts 30 seconds, the entirety or majority of your BoS window. The trinket is just about perfect for a Frost DK.
    I'm just here to complain, if I'm being honest

LoL! you really went through all my posts just to find a few typos?

Gratz brow you are a true internet paladin

Quote Originally Posted by UNHEILVOLL View Post
    Maybe he just asked what do you think is a bad proc rate, and not making fun of your spelling, because maybe there's an option you are not the center of the universe and such...
    He was making fun of the OP, who was not me by the way, but thanks for trying.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I just hate douchebags.

I love when topics of interest become polluted with bickering. I had such high hopes for this one.

Deleted
    Horn of Valor is exceptional for short fights (Burst) with a fight duration of 2.30-3.00 minutes.
    I've got a 885 HoV and use it over an 905 Odyn-Trinket for M+ Fights.
    Horn of Valor is a great Choice for M+ Boss Encounters and HC - Raids.
    However, Mythic Fights typically last 5+ minutes and this is where the Odyn/Nightbane Trinket will be a better choice.

Apparently sims were incorrectly overvaluing horn of valor by making it snapshot buffs and do more damage than it should have. It's still a very solid trinket though, just not way overshadowing the others like it currently is in the trinket spreadsheet.

In other news, the Halls finally paid off today
    http://i.imgur.com/A4Jr2pZ.png

Quote Originally Posted by Cazz17 View Post
    Horn isn't overvalued it's just hard to get at high itemlevel.
    Not so much anymore, the new M+ loot stuff makes it pretty easy to obtain an 890....just have to hope your affixes for the week don't suck. At worst you're looking at an 870 if you want quick farming on +2/3's. However +10 to get an 890 isn't that bad...It's to the point that even running numerous +6/7's can potentially get you a 900+ one. I've gotten a 900 relic and 915 helm just from +7s. I swear TF happens much more frequently now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akusa202 View Post
    Apparently sims were incorrectly overvaluing horn of valor by making it snapshot buffs and do more damage than it should have. It's still a very solid trinket though, just not way overshadowing the others like it currently is in the trinket spreadsheet.

In other news, the Halls finally paid off today
    http://i.imgur.com/A4Jr2pZ.png
    So that leaves me wondering, is the trinket from upper kara overvalued too? If it's not I may stop farming HOV and just straight farm upper kara now.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

Yoooooooooooooooooooooo

- - - Updated - - -

Shhhhhhh. You just got checked in to the Smackdown Hotel, jabroni
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    So that leaves me wondering, is the trinket from upper kara overvalued too? If it's not I may stop farming HOV and just straight farm upper kara now.
    EoC is definitely really good, but it promotes bad tunneling habits. Idk, personally I'd rather have a high ilvl memento and would rather farm maws.

To echo @DreadfulDave and some of the folks on the DK Discord, the reason Horn shifted in value is directly related to fight length and how long players are now extending breath. With a capped 30 second breath, Horn is terrific. If you're extending breath lengths to 45/60/90 seconds, Horn is devalued against another trinket that provides other benefits.

Still a good trinket, just not as good as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by DagrDK View Post
    To echo @DreadfulDave and some of the folks on the DK Discord, the reason Horn shifted in value is directly related to fight length and how long players are now extending breath. With a capped 30 second breath, Horn is terrific. If you're extending breath lengths to 45/60/90 seconds, Horn is devalued against another trinket that provides other benefits.

Still a good trinket, just not as good as it was.
    Runic chills has gone a long way to extending breath durations it is noticeably more impactful, with lust my breath uptime is getting to the point where fight phase transitions end my breath more than directly running out of RP. you find yourself waiting really extended duration to even use your second HRW charge (if you have ring)