Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    I've never traveled alone. Mostly because I rather just stay home playing video games.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    This is precisely why I stopped planning Blizzcon trips with friends. Last few I've been to, I felt no need to keep up with what groups of friends were up to all the time. Sure, I'd meet up for things like dinner or specific panels. But if I wanted to go out and do something, I'd just go do it.
    It really feel empowering doesn't; like a huge weight has been lifted off your shoulders?

I'm almost addicted to solo trips now. If i'm with a group in an area, i'll leave them be, explore, and figure out how I want to spend my time and money.

Trips are just so much more fun and it seems like you learn something new about yourself every time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Big Zo hit the nail on the head. When traveling with others you have to make decisions based on their wants as well as your own. While it may sound a bit selfish or even antisocial, but I have a specific idea on how my trip should be, and others will just interfere with that. With any luck sometime in September I'm gonna take a vacation, not sure if I'll go east or west, but more that likely it'll be by myself and I'll enjoy it that much more because of it.

I've done quite a bit of traveling alone. Backpacked through new zealand for 6 months (3 alone). Stayed in Peru for 3 months (2 alone). Fun, would recommend. 0 regrets.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by boomgoesthedynamite View Post
    Yes. Traveling alone grants you the freedom to do what you want, when you want and whenever you want. Yo7 don't have to do things you don't want, and you have absolute freedom. Plus, if by chance you find someone that you want to spend the night with, it makes it a lot easier ������.

However the world is a dangerous place, especially as of late. Plan your trip out, and avoid being out at night in the dangerous places. If you do, stay in well lit, and crowded areas.

- - - Updated - - -

Eh, it's not as sad as people make it out to be. My friends moved away, and we've lost touch. Haven't bothered to really make new ones. I'm rather content, except for the random bouts of loneliness. I've a really found out more about myself, than I ever have with other people.

Though, I do miss having friends to depend on when shit hits the proverbial fan.
    I don't mind being by myself as well. As you said the random bouts of loneliness can get rough sometimes. So I'm working on getting a couple of sugar gliders.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by boomgoesthedynamite View Post
    Yes. Traveling alone grants you the freedom to do what you want, when you want and whenever you want. Yo7 don't have to do things you don't want, and you have absolute freedom. Plus, if by chance you find someone that you want to spend the night with, it makes it a lot easier ������.

However the world is a dangerous place, especially as of late. Plan your trip out, and avoid being out at night in the dangerous places. If you do, stay in well lit, and crowded areas.

- - - Updated - - -

Eh, it's not as sad as people make it out to be. My friends moved away, and we've lost touch. Haven't bothered to really make new ones. I'm rather content, except for the random bouts of loneliness. I've a really found out more about myself, than I ever have with other people.

Though, I do miss having friends to depend on when shit hits the proverbial fan.
    thats the problem bouts of loneliness haha
    mr pickles

Traveling alone is awesome!

The first time I went around the globe by myself was at the age of 16, I went to Singapore. Last year I went backpacking through Scandinavia (Norway, Iceland, Sweden, Denmark) by myself too.

You get to explore the world under different eyes when traveling alone. You meet new people from all over the world (I'll never forget when I went out with my hostel friends at Iceland to eat fermented shark). You get to know yourself, you have plenty of time to meditate/soul search. It's an amazing experience to be so far away from your comfort zone, your daily life, your torments, your loved ones, everything. By traveling alone you are forced to step out of your comfort bubble and experience a whole new culture firsthand.

It can be fun to do but it's safer to travel with friends. I'd never tell anyone that I'm alone if I'm traveling alone in places that aren't so safe.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    It really feel empowering doesn't; like a huge weight has been lifted off your shoulders?

I'm almost addicted to solo trips now. If i'm with a group in an area, i'll leave them be, explore, and figure out how I want to spend my time and money.

Trips are just so much more fun and it seems like you learn something new about yourself every time.
    I wouldn't even call it empowering. I'd call it "normal". It feels like that's how vacations should be. Like vacations burdened by other people feel less satisfying, so the vacation you take by yourself is always going to be better.

A guy I studied in high school with, traveled across Europe and published a book about it. It was a big-ish deal back then.

If you find yourself hitchhiking, please known, that you are more likely to be picked up by a driver if you have fair hair.
    Double those chances if you are traveling with a girl.
    Half those chances if you have a beard or dark clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    Hi, I recently found myself by myself, no pun intended. ( Friends are in the army/not available ). And I was thinking about traveling abroad alone. I've been abroad lots of times but it was always with a couple of friends, I want to try something new but I'm afraid I will get bored out of my mind. I've never traveled alone and the thought is kind of awkward.

I was thinking of maybe going to Amsterdam or Lisbon, anyone here ever travels alone or maybe experienced the same thing I'm feeling? I've read online on tips but it's pretty cliche, not EVERYONE meets new people. Especially if it's only for a couple of days not a month or something. Anyway, my question is, is it worth it? Did anyone travel alone and regret it afterwards or is it always a positive experience? I'd like to hear some opinions.
    I used to travel all around the United States for work. The advantage of traveling alone is the freedom to do whatever the hell you want. Saw some really cool stuff in my travels. Went to NYC several times, San Francisco, San Diego, San Antonio, saw lots of titties on Bourbon St. in New Orleans, saw the Grand Canyon, Mount Rushmore, and all sorts of other cool stuff I'll remember for the rest of my life.

I'd say it's definitely worth doing, but I got tired of it after about a year. Gets pretty lonely.