Chromecast + VPN

This probably doesn't belong here but anyways... I'm not every smart when it comes to how VPNs work and shit.

My questions is does anyone know if what I stream to my chromecast is hidden when using a VPN? Do I have to setup a "VPN-enabled virtual router" just for my chromecast?

I'm currently able to stream to my chromecast despite being behind the VPN which is a little confusing to me since I thought they had to communicate through the same network. This is the reason why I'm thinking it may not be working.

Currently using free VPN services like zenmate, windscribe and cyberghost 6

Thanks fams.
    Last edited by Traxex9080; 2017-03-19 at 06:36 PM.

Can you explain your setup a bit better? Is your computer you're streaming from on the same physical network as your chromecast? And your computer connected to a VPN? If this is the case you're likely using 'split tunneling', your VPN knows what your local subnet is and won't try to tunnel traffic to it.

For example your home network is 192.168.0.0/24, your computer has 192.168.0.10 and chromecast 192.168.0.11. Your VPN client might 'know' that your local network is 192.168.0.0/24 so it won't tunnel traffic destined to that network and your chromecast will see the traffic coming from 192.168.0.10, not the 'source address' of your VPN

Hopefully this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Blorgin View Post
    Can you explain your setup a bit better? Is your computer you're streaming from on the same physical network as your chromecast? And your computer connected to a VPN? If this is the case you're likely using 'split tunneling', your VPN knows what your local subnet is and won't try to tunnel traffic to it.

For example your home network is 192.168.0.0/24, your computer has 192.168.0.10 and chromecast 192.168.0.11. Your VPN client might 'know' that your local network is 192.168.0.0/24 so it won't tunnel traffic destined to that network and your chromecast will see the traffic coming from 192.168.0.10, not the 'source address' of your VPN

Hopefully this helps
    Yeah I'm streaming from my PC to my chromecast under the same network and masking the IP my PC is using. So you're saying my chromecast will see traffic coming from my PC rather than the VPN? So essentially my provider will still be able to see what's being streamed and from where?

I know exactly what you are doing and do what i did, build a super cheap HTPC and keep the VPN on that

I googled a bit and look like chromecast will only work on the same network as the devices it's talking to. So yes, if your ISP is watching traffic on your network they will see what computer is taking to the chromecast. I'm not sure if chromecast uses any encryption to stream, if not then they COULD see whats being streaming but I can't imagine why they'd be trying to in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    If your goal is to watch pirate streams without getting caught by the certain 4 letter associations or bypass ip geoblocking then you have come to the wrong site.
    If not continue on.

In this situation a VPN has absolutely zero bearing on anything when handling local network traffic, that's not how routing works. Only if you are streaming information from an external source (ie. the internet) does the VPN even come into play.

for example:

Scenario A - Your home PC has a video file on it, you want to watch it on your Chromecast device connected to a TV in your own home. In this scenario, the VPN is irrelevant. All traffic is local and handled by a switch, usually the one built into your router (wifi included). That switch doesn't give a hot fuck about external connections outside of its own physical network. Using the example above, if that network is based around an address pool of 192.168.0.0/24, then any traffic concerning only that network is confined to itself. Ergo, if your PC is 192.168.0.2 and the Chromecast device is 192.168.0.3, then the VPN doesn't even come into play at all as there is no real routing taking place. To be wholly accurate, the IP is entirely irrelevant here as a switch only cares about physical addresses (MACs) within its own broadcast domain.

In this scenario, it is highly unlikely anyone is aware of what you're doing. Not without some form of device embedded within your own network.

Scenario B - You want to watch a "Youtube Video" on your chromecast. Since we are now seeking data online, the VPN matters. If setup correctly, all external traffic deriving from a device with a VPN tunnel configured, will first go through the VPN. This happens due to routing tables, created by your router (or configured manually) and then propagated to all listening devices on the network. Using again the example above, if your home network is 192.168.0.0/24, your router knows this and acts accordingly for any traffic destined within that network, anything outside of that network is routed through the gateway (an any/all rule). In basic terms, the VPN tunnel configuration changes that pathway and says "ok, any traffic not bound for connections within my network, route it through here first before anything else." At the other end the VPN host acts like a much more sophisticated router, making requests on your behalf and directing the intended data back to you, in a format that your own router can reinterpret and send to whatever device that made the initial request.

In this scenario, it is possible for people to see what you're doing (mostly your ISP). Hence encryption should go hand in hand with VPN usage. However, most end points will only see the IP address associated with your VPN service, as far as they're aware the VPN is requesting the data.

It helps to think of a configured VPN tunnel as a second network interface, connected exclusively to the internet.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2017-03-22 at 09:28 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Yes exactly you have to setup a VPN on your router

Quote Originally Posted by Traxex9080 View Post
    This probably doesn't belong here but anyways... I'm not every smart when it comes to how VPNs work and shit.

My questions is does anyone know if what I stream to my chromecast is hidden when using a VPN? Do I have to setup a "VPN-enabled virtual router" just for my chromecast?

I'm currently able to stream to my chromecast despite being behind the VPN which is a little confusing to me since I thought they had to communicate through the same network. This is the reason why I'm thinking it may not be working.

Currently using free VPN services like zenmate, windscribe and cyberghost 6

Thanks fams.
    What you need is a VPN supported router and a paid VPN subscription.