Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Overwatch competitive play leavers ?

So i got into competitive play in Overwatch and every damn match there is 2-3 people leaving a few games the hole team leaves if round 1 is lost is this a thing for all ? or is it just due to me starting and therefor being at low *rank* ?

Last night i had the same dude in 3 games ( not in row ) and every game he left as soon as his team got behind ...

Is there not a penalty for leaving a game ?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    Is there not a penalty for leaving a game ?
    there is.
    you earn 75% less xp for some time and can get banned suspended from comp.
    depending on how you leave, the suspension can last the entire season.

i guess you are just unlucky.
    since season 2 i experience less and less leavers.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by High Priest Arafal View Post
    there is.
    you earn 75% less xp for some time and can get banned suspended from comp.
    depending on how you leave, the suspension can last the entire season.

i guess you are just unlucky.
    since season 2 i experience less and less leavers.
    Thanks that is what i needed to hear

ok back to the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe leavers still lose points as a loss (even if their team happens to win) and reduced XP, but I'm not sure there is any sort of system to discourage it entirely like preventing immediate requeues, grouped with other leavers, etc. It would be nice if there was some kinda of disincentive just because it sucks for the people they leave behind, but I'm not sure how they'd do it without negatively impacting queues for everyone. I understand that if people know it's going to be a loss they don't want to waste the last few minutes sitting around playing, but it really does have a negative impact on your teammates and considering how many games I've seen go the opposite direction in overtime or on subsequent rounds, I think it's also fairly rare that you can know it's a loss with absolute certainty.

I haven't seen too many leavers myself this season (probably <5 games of the 26 hours I've got so far), but I've also only played in silver and gold games this season where people probably care a lot less about that sort of thing.

I did play a game last night where every single person on the enemy team left but one poor guy, so we all went and hung out and just emoted with him at his starting point for the final around. At the point was about to hit 99%, all six of us lined up on the edge of the world and let him boop us off. A small consolation for him getting stuck with shitty leavers I hope.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I did play a game last night where every single person on the enemy team left but one poor guy, so we all went and hung out and just emoted with him at his starting point for the final around. At the point was about to hit 99%, all six of us lined up on the edge of the world and let him boop us off. A small consolation for him getting stuck with shitty leavers I hope.
    A couple of times it's happened to me, recently, someone on the team asked for help getting that near-impossible Lucio achievement where you wallride and get three kills before landing. Same kind of deal; let the poor bastard get SOMETHING for his guaranteed loss.

Edit: Of course, a day after I posted that, I had a leaver, and the enemy team helped my get the Floor is Lava achievement.

Hey, Universe. Some poor bastards need to win a lottery now and then, right?
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-03-21 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I believe leavers still lose points as a loss (even if their team happens to win) and reduced XP, but I'm not sure there is any sort of system to discourage it entirely like preventing immediate requeues, grouped with other leavers, etc. It would be nice if there was some kinda of disincentive just because it sucks for the people they leave behind, but I'm not sure how they'd do it without negatively impacting queues for everyone. I understand that if people know it's going to be a loss they don't want to waste the last few minutes sitting around playing, but it really does have a negative impact on your teammates and considering how many games I've seen go the opposite direction in overtime or on subsequent rounds, I think it's also fairly rare that you can know it's a loss with absolute certainty.
    There is a cooldown for re-queueing if you leave a comp match, I don't remember how long, but I do believe that it increases in length the more that you do it and that eventually the leaver ends up banned for the season. They also receive de-ranking as if they've taken a loss in the match, regardless of the actual outcome of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfectdoll View Post
    There is a cooldown for re-queueing if you leave a comp match, I don't remember how long, but I do believe that it increases in length the more that you do it and that eventually the leaver ends up banned for the season. They also receive de-ranking as if they've taken a loss in the match, regardless of the actual outcome of the game.
    Five minutes, at least if its your first offense (it probably escalates). Unless it starts ticking down when you first disconnect, then it would be ten minutes.

Just lost power in the middle of a competitive game, so I'm now suspended from queuing for five minutes. I was offline for about five as well.

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't recall getting into any leaver groups so far. I know prior to this season, it wasn't common per say, but
    it wasn't like, super ultra rare.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had seen very few leavers in competitive (all seasons*) up until like a week or two ago. Now I have one or two games a day that have leavers. Luckily, most of them have been the enemy teams rather than mine so I've probably come out ahead more than lost but it still sucks. Half the time they come back though, so I wonder if there are some kind of server issues that didn't exist before causing people to DC.

*I barely played season 2

| twitch | bsky
    |

i get leavers when 1st round we get rolled. i do my best to encourage our team. one game i remember was we got rolled so bad 1st round. 2nd round mid game, we won and the enemy team had a leaver. 3rd round was 5vs5. we won as the enemy started tilting on their rein who switched off to orisa.

Deleted
    Had few DC'ers in last games too, on both sides. Almost all of them did come back though.

Deleted
    10 placement games. 4 wins 1 draw 5 loses <- 5 leavers on my side. Because I was not playing in s2, ended in... low bronze. 2k now, and getting more SR playing tanks (25-30) than supports (20-25) and almost never playing dps. Making some 'notes' from competitive: in 50 games I had leavers on my side 17 times, on enemy team... 3. Feeling lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by nozmail View Post
    i get leavers when 1st round we get rolled. i do my best to encourage our team. one game i remember was we got rolled so bad 1st round. 2nd round mid game, we won and the enemy team had a leaver. 3rd round was 5vs5. we won as the enemy started tilting on their rein who switched off to orisa.
    I feel like even if you lose the first round you can still get back up on your feet. Sometimes the other team gets over confident allowing your team to then destroy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Belamuel View Post
    I feel like even if you lose the first round you can still get back up on your feet. Sometimes the other team gets over confident allowing your team to then destroy them.
    There are also the teams that are good on offense but suck on defense and vice versa.

It winds me the fuck up, happens quite often to me, moved from 1200 to 1800 most lost games are due to people leaving. What more annoying is most of them we fractionally lose the game as a 5 man team, and that infuriates me, some games are literally down to a couple hundred dps or a luck hanzo ult even,

15+ Year Old Account
    It makes no sense to leave really. You lose more points for quitting (afaik) than if you just lose the match and the game locks you out of playing any more comp games for a minimum of 10 minutes (goes up the more you do it).

I mean I guess you can bail, go play a QM, and then requeue comp or something. Or you can just not be a dick and stick it out.

I've been in a ton of games that look completely one sided only for a team to rally and end up winning. It's not entirely uncommon when in a pug game for it to take a bit for the group to mesh and find a group composition that works for them.

Sometimes nothing will save a team, but luckily those end fairly quick.

15+ Year Old Account
    Double points for a loss. After a 2 or 3 losses you get banned for like an hour. Winning when the other team has leavers makes it feel like a hollow victory as well. My drunk friend blacked out and did it twice and we had to play without him. Not a huge loss that night though. Everyone just needs to remember that if Tom Brady and Rocky can do it, we all can comeback!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Deleted
    I think that after 10 leaves, you should get banned from comp for the entire season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alexOverPro View Post
    I think that after 10 leaves, you should get banned from comp for the entire season.
    10 for the whole season isn't very many. A person who plays a ton could easily hit that number just from fluke DCs. I have ~80 hours played this season, and I have two already just from incidentals (one power outage, one client crash).

The number would have to be relative to the amount of games played (15%+ or something). AFAIK Blizzard already has something like this in place, although I don't know the numbers. But the suspensions do escalate into very long periods if it is habitual in the current system.

| twitch | bsky
    |

For me, out of around 5-6 matches that have a leaver/DC only 1 is on the other team. The rest are my team. And of course they are always after the instant termination period. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to not get shit on so much in competitive.