Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Has WOW gone too far to keep old nostalgia?

This isn't a degradation post about retail World of Warcraft. Lately I have seen a lot of people saying they miss old wow (2004 - 2012), which in bias I agree with as well. But others seem to like the new direction the WOW team has taken the game. I want to know your opinions on the current state, and please no trashing each other. We all have our own opinions on this game that we all play.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen26 View Post
    This isn't a degradation post about retail World of Warcraft. Lately I have seen a lot of people saying they miss old wow (2004 - 2012), which in bias I agree with as well. But others seem to like the new direction the WOW team has taken the game. I want to know your opinions on the current state, and please no trashing each other. We all have our own opinions on this game that we all play.
    I even see people say they miss Cata these days... In my opinion it was only slightly better than WOD. in 5 years people will say they miss certain things about Legion.

Also what do you mean "lately" you've seen a lot of people saying they've been missing old wow. Loads of people have been going on about how BC, wotlk etc. was better than whatever the current xpac is for years.

I really enjoy wow and the new direction of having lots of stuff to do. I certainly understand the competetive players being angry that they are never finished, but as a semi casual player it's great to always have something to do. I only compete with myself, and as long as I see my dps go up almost every week, the game feels great.
    Last edited by Ztranger; 2017-03-20 at 02:14 AM.

New developers .. new direction.

The game is tuned to generate money nowadays, rather than provide a solid experience.

13 -7 years ago focus = GAME EXPERIENCE, VASTNESS, IMMERSION.

7 years ago to Now = GAME, INCOMING MONEY, MORE MONEY. EVEN MORE MONEY AFTER THAT. THX.

Oh well

EDIT:
    Off note - what does the title even remotely have to do with your post? /boggle
    Last edited by Vineri; 2017-03-20 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    I even see people say they miss Cata these days... In my opinion it was only slightly better than WOD. in 5 years people will say they miss certain things about Legion.

Also what do you mean "lately" you've seen a lot of people saying they've been missing old wow. Loads of people have been going on about how BC, wotlk etc. was better than whatever the current xpac is for years.
    I haven't kept up with wow lately, I know there was always people complaining every patch. But recently it looks like there is more 50/50 bias posts criticizing and supporting posts about wow.

- - - Updated - - -

There are a lot of people that want the game to go back to what "old wow" was, I was asking has Blizzard made too many changes to ever bring that feeling back to wow, sorry I didn't word it properly for you to understand what I was asking.

The game is nothing like the old version. I don't think they've done anything to try and maintain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post

The game is tuned to generate money nowadays, rather than provide a solid experience.

13 -7 years ago focus = GAME EXPERIENCE, VASTNESS, IMMERSION.

7 years ago to Now = GAME, INCOMING MONEY, MORE MONEY. EVEN MORE MONEY AFTER THAT. THX.

Oh well

EDIT:
    Off note - what does the title even remotely have to do with your post? /boggle
    Yeah they definitely weren't trying to make money back in 2004. What the fuck?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen26 View Post
    In TBC, everyone bitched about how TBC was shit and Classic was best. Then Wrath came along and everyone cried about how wrath was shit and TBC was the best. It is a never ending pattern but the common thread is nostalgia.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    Yeah they definitely weren't trying to make money back in 2004. What the fuck?
    Right .. Back then to 2004, 12 bucks a month was an awesome experience. You got to see every single item the game had to offer, provided you worked for it. Everything was available.

Nowadays, 15 bucks a month. We get to to see the game; most of the good stuff is in the cash shop. Best mounts in there too, outfits, pets? oh goodness. If I drop 5 grand I can buy from the cash-shop and sell what I buy for in-game gold in the AH .... ooh ... oh isn't that PTW?

[Of course not, says the people doing this], while others go away, unsubscribing in silence.
    Last edited by Vineri; 2017-03-20 at 03:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People been "missing old wow" since TBC.

I don't miss old wow, i do miss old experience (playing with certain people, raiding other guilds forums, feeling excitement by picking engineering as my profession of choice, watching my gloriful dwarf paladin casting holy light), and sometimes my brain tricks me into thinking that i miss old wow because of that, but most of that happened thanks to me having too much free time and me not knowing the game well. Sure, idea that you'll be able to make grenades that can disorient others and you can make a some sort of gnome tinker using engineering profession, but then you realize that they have cooldown, they don't scale at all, they can't be cast on move... they can't disorient elites... well, disappointment after disappointment from having too much hype towards the game that was supposed to be "3rd person warcraft 3" for me.

Sure, i feel nostalgic, but seeing threads and posts about "old wow" being superiour bring me back to the earth very quickly and i return to my "there is literally no way in our universe to re-experience wow the same way you experienced it firsthand"

- - - Updated - - -

In TBC, everyone bitched about how TBC was shit and Classic was best. Then Wrath came along and everyone cried about how wrath was shit and TBC was the best. It is a never ending pattern but the common thread is nostalgia.
    or "ur mom didn't get u TBC for ur birthday sob sob" was a common thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Because none of the original WoW Devi are still around, amirite?
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

Right .. Back then to 2004, 12 bucks a month was an awesome experience. You got to see every single item the game had to offer, provided you worked for it. Everything was available.

Nowadays, 15 bucks a month. We get to to see the game; most of the good stuff is in the cash shop. Best mounts in there too, outfits, pets? oh goodness. If I drop 5 grand I can buy from the cash-shop and sell what I buy for in-game gold in the AH .... ooh ... oh isn't that PTW?

[Of course not, says the people doing this], while others go away, unsubscribing in silence.
    What the fuck are you even talking about? You can't see the world unless you spend money on the cash shop? Huh? There's literally a handful of mounts and a couple cosmetic items on the cash shop. This is a crazy dumb argument you're making.
    Beta Club Brosquad

10+ Year Old Account

I doubt that blizz make much money from their shop, but it's a great tool for making giveaways, marketing their products, charity, etc. Cash shop is not about wow, and not about direct monetery gaing off players, it's about other things we as players do not think about, but gaming industry does.
    Also, sub fee is your pay for access to their servers, not entitlement fee for digitall goods. Following your logic, i should get 100% chance drops because i pay money for playing the game.
    And PTW is about purchising ingame power for real money, not about purchising vanity items that have 0 effect on your characters power
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Loved the game back in Vanilla but wouldn't want to go back to the way it was, minus a few things like the way server communities were back then. It's a weird thing where people want to just live in the past feeding off their nostalgia. It's something that really confuses me, like the way old school Runescape is now. Games are suppose to progress, not regress. Besides that, both communities completely hate each other and both sides bicker and argue over which is better constantly. It's divided the community and created incredible toxicity on mostly the side of the OSRS players that are so obsessed with OSRS that they do nothing but talk shit to the people that actually enjoy RS3.

If someone wants to drop the amount of money it'd take to be in any way competitive, more power to them.

Quote Originally Posted by alexkeren View Post
    Because none of the original WoW Devi are still around, amirite?
    You read correctly. The important major ones are gone, gone, gone.

What the **** are you even talking about? You can't see the world unless you spend money on the cash shop? Huh? There's literally a handful of mounts and a couple cosmetic items on the cash shop. This is a crazy dumb argument you're making.
    Some stuff cannot be obtained in-game. It didn't used to be that way, years ago. In older versions, everything you got, you earned in-game. Period. If you enjoy defending cash-shops (essentially DLC), cheers for you. Forgive me for not saluting yourself.

The stuff that can be bought from the cash-shop and re-sold on the AH, amounts to PTW. Deny away.

You read correctly. The important major ones are gone, gone, gone.

Some stuff cannot be obtained in-game. It didn't used to be that way, years ago. In older versions, everything you got, you earned in-game. Period. If you enjoy defending cash-shops (essentially DLC), cheers for you. Forgive me for not saluting yourself.

The stuff that can be bought from the cash-shop and re-sold on the AH, amounts to PTW. Deny away.
    like I said, a handful of mounts and pets and a few cosmetic items are on the shop. If that bothers you so much I'm sorry. I'm pretty sure all the cash shop stuff is BoP, so I'm not sure how buying cosmetics on the cash shop is ptw.
    Beta Club Brosquad

like I said, a handful of mounts and pets and a few cosmetic items are on the shop. If that bothers you so much I'm sorry. I'm pretty sure all the cash shop stuff is BoP, so I'm not sure how buying cosmetics on the cash shop is ptw.
    If they are resold for gold, that is PTW. (essentially converting real $$ to ingame gold).

Tokens count too.

.. BOP this season, BOE next, at Blizzard's discretion.. players know how it works .. puh-lease/
    Last edited by Vineri; 2017-03-20 at 04:00 AM.

If they are resold for gold, that is PTW. (essentially converting real $$ to ingame gold).

Tokens count too.
    This is the dumbest argument yet. So if it's PTW, what advantage do you get from buying tokens and turning them into gold? If I spend $1,000 will I automatically get to be a world first raider? Will I dominate in PvP? Will my gear be better than what other normal players can obtain?
    Beta Club Brosquad

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I like tied in storylines and the occasional throwbacks. But pure nostalgia can never ever truly feel satisfying since you can never truly relive a first experience with something since you've already experienced it.

For example, I noticed today that one of the bosses from the new Un'goro event is the ghost of the beloved old kodo that you used to feed saplings/seedlings in classic/vanilla (before Deathwing murdered it in the Cataclysm... ). It's a throwback to those that can remember the time, but it isn't forced or entirely the same experience. It feels nostalgic while being a new experience.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

This is the dumbest argument yet. So if it's PTW, what advantage do you get from buying tokens and turning them into gold? If I spend $1,000 will I automatically get to be a world first raider? Will I dominate in PvP? Will my gear be better than what other normal players can obtain?
    No, but you be considerably better off than a noob who might spend 50-100 hours gearing up properly. You spend the $$ in the Cash-shop, sell the loot for gold, then buy purples, or commission various tradeskiller's to make items for you. You pay top gold for services. For gold you never actually earned in-game. PTW.

Not to mention gold is very useful for consumables. Not every guildie has time to farm or earn stuff for raids. Buy some tokens to resell for gold, so much easier, right? PTW. Then you have all the mats you need. Or potions, or whatever gold buys. PTW.