Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    TBC > WotLK > MoP ... Legion (so far) ... Cata >= WoD

*Excluded Vanila as I began my adventure at the end of it.

Deleted
    T11 (First tier of Cata) was the most fun I've had in this game.

It may also have been due to that is when the subscribers were at their peak, guilds were flourishing, activity was everywhere.

The only moans were;
    Some 10man encounters were too hard (their first attempt at making them competitive and they overshot tuning)
    Some HC Dungeons were too hard (if you dont remember this you probably ran them first two weeks in organised groups, they got nerfed very quickly).

WOTLK was my best times in WoW, but that mostly comes down to personal experience, as has been mentioned by others.

I loved Tier 11 in Cata too, that might be my favorite tier, and I enjoyed the troll dungeons and 4.2's zone for a month too, but then I was done and there was no other content except Firelands, so I kinda fell off after those first 6-7 months, and 4.3 didn't bring a ton of content to do right at that moment.

Didn't play MoP before an year into it (I had jumped on the GW2 train), and while I didn't have to deal with the dreaded "dailies everywhere" part of the game in the first patch, what I came into I really enjoyed, despite not raiding anything above LFR.

I was very excited for WoD, and I enjoyed it well enough up until I killed Blackhand Heroic, and then 6.2 came when I was on vacation, so I never got much into it or cared too much to do so either.

Legion I've so far enjoyed, but the same went for Cata and WoD, so we'll see if it lasts, but I think it will.

It's funny, I think I would rank my personal enjoyment of the expansions like WOTLK > Legion > MoP > Cata > WoD, but Tier 11 and Tier 17 are among my favorite tiers, along with Tier 10 (ICC).
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2017-03-23 at 12:20 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleax View Post
    Just gonna land that here:

The asian theme is perfectly fine in a fantasy game like WoW. Heck, even Conan has its share of Asians too, and nobody has ever complained about it... I thought that everyone already knew the books and movies about Conan..

MoP also wasn't only about pandas....I enjoyed for example the territories of the LionvsHorde quests and reputation, the rares, the Isle of Thunder, and so on..
    Problem isn't the Asian theme per se mind you. It's that it was handled in a revolting excessive stereotypical way.
    Night elves have some aspect of Asian architecture I was told once, but they're not called "Matsumoto" eat sushi and have a class call samurai.
    I hope my analogy helps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khubbo View Post
    cata was the peak

playable female goblins
    Yes, cata was peak

But for dwarf shamans in my case

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TJrogue View Post
    Problem isn't the Asian theme per se mind you. It's that it was handled in a revolting excessive stereotypical way.
    Exactly this. With kungfu as a cherry on top of it.

Legion is better for me, but MoP isn't far behind. And neither is wrath. That would have to be my top 3, in that order.

Thx to Isilrien for the awesome sig

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally feel TBC and WotLK were the peak. I strongly disliked a lot of Cataclysm, all of MoP and WoD, and a lot of Legion. To explain myself, I think Legion is a well polished product wih a good amount of content and a great aesthetic. However, I don't enjoy the legendary system, the concept of artifacts and order halls, the "chapter" system for zone questing, or the story scenario things with the talking heads. I think at least a few of those things, especially the questing, began with MoP. None of it feels like WoW, but that's because the game has evolved into something different, but my tastes didn't evolve wih it, and that's fine.

To be more on topic, MoP is my least favorite expansion. I also think WoD was absolutely awful, but MoP introduced many of the features I hate and I also really disliked the aesthetic of many of the zones, mob races (hozen, rabbit rat things, mantid, etc.) and pandaren themselves. Has there been a more annoying character than Li Li?

IMO MoP was great untill 5.4 timeless isle patch where resilience got removed. since then, world pvp sucks. As a casual PvP player i getting one shoted by mythic geared players way too often. Not fun at all. I feel so insecure outside of instanced PvP :P It's real mess. Back in 5.4 i was so pissed about that change i quit playing for few months - biggest break i ever made from wow
    Last edited by Inferno83; 2017-03-23 at 11:58 AM.

No. Just no.

Every single WoW expansion from Vanilla to Legion had its strengths and weaknesses. Some more, some less.
    #MakeBlizzardGreatAgain

I think i am in minority but MoP made me quit WoW, several reasons, some irl stuff but mainly: trinkets lol,pandas,"ohh you hit max level and you have 4k valor points and you wanna buy a weapon? Here you g.... NOPE do 25 boring af dailies every day to unlock rep and then buy a piece, PVP - huge nope, dungeons......,launch was 10/10 expereince 1000 ppl doing same quest, that Pandarian rares,quests and story: couldn't care less,The farming faction, Tillers? nope. In the other hand: raids!,flexxx!,some class designs!,Timeless Isle/Isle of Giants!

Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post
    I didnt play end game MOP so i can not comment. But i can comment on the lvling aspect. For me MOP was the worst lvling experience i have had. I hate forced lore, you couldnt skip things cause you needed to do the boring Lore quest before to unlock the other quests. The first zones werent that fun and when lvling up again you had to do the same thing over and over again. At least with TBC WOTLK, CATA and Legion you could pick a diferent starting zone. (you didnt had to do Hellfire in tbc if you were lvl 60)
    The opening zone was pretty bad in MoP, but you could also dungeon spam to 100 really quickly. Dread wastes was probably the best zone I have ever done

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Great class design (better than anything legion)

Meaningful gear progression

3 good tiers

Challenge Modes

PvP WAS ACTUALLY PLAYABLE

TI and Landfall and IoT all great patches

Was MoP the best it will ever get? Why were classes so drastically changed when they were so much better?
    MoP was the lowest point wow has seen so far. TBC was peak wow.

MoP? peak?!? hell no!!! lol
    BETA CLUB

Night elves have some aspect of Asian architecture I was told once, but they're not called "Matsumoto" eat sushi and have a class call samurai.
    I hope my analogy helps.
    MoP was clearly an asian-themed xpac, so it had to be "asian-excessive".. Personally I say letting one full xpac be asian-oriented is no biggy.

Anyway to respond the OP, MoP was one of a hell of an expansion, and this when there were 100 devs working only for WoW. We can feel their numbers in this xpac, it was a very rich xpac and I regret they didn't keep the 100 dev to design more content these days...

I have not played much in Wrath and Cata, so I cannot compare and say MoP was the better xpac though. But all in all a solid xpac for me.

I think gameplay wise mop was the best expansion there has ever been. It was alt friendly, so I got to experience raiding on the most toons I have have (6 toons that were full heroic by the end of SoO when they introduced mythic). Class design was really fun for all of the classes I played, and I didn't hear many complaints from other people about their own classes. SoO lasted way too long, but the boss encounters were really good, ToT was amazing, and overall it was by far the most fun I've ever had in wow.

However, if you play wow from a story standpoint the game gets significantly more subjective, and I honestly couldn't give fewer shits about lore so I just didn't really care about that as a point of attention in mop, wod, or legion; on that same token though, everybody gets something different out of the game and it seems reasonable to like or dislike an expansion based on that if that is what is important to you.

.... MoP?
    I guess a matter of opinions but yeah it really didn't feel like Wow at all to me. I personally found the story extremely immature
    ...did you play the game at all during that time? The theme was paradise being destroyed by barbaric invaders (us), literal manifestations of hatred and rage tearing villages to pieces, dead civilians, attempted genocide...

Oh, you just focused on the little light bits in between? Explains a lot.

Great class design (better than anything legion)
    Not for every class.

Meaningful gear progression
    In what way was it different from others?

3 good tiers
    Many will disagree with you here.

Challenge Modes
    Which were pointless unless you actually got all bronze/silver/gold, and then you never went back.

PvP WAS ACTUALLY PLAYABLE
    Do you mean balanced? I can get into PvP right now if I wanted to.

TI and Landfall and IoT all great patches
    TI was great for alts and lousy for mains who were already geared. Landfall was small and boring. IoT (and ToT as well) were massively overhyped and nowhere near as good as they made it out to be.

Was MoP the best it will ever get?
    My signature and myself will both tell you: Lolno.

Oh and you also forgot one of the worst expansion themes ever. I don't mind "OMG KUNG FU PANDA THIS IS FOR BABIES" like the bandwagon was; I really don't. I DO mind pandas and chinatown being the ENTIRE THEME OF MY FUCKING EXPANSION though. Seriously, just put Pandaren in and let us explore a zone or two on Pandaria; don't make it last over 2 fucking years.

Regarding legion though, it's honestly one of the best expansions, it just has a few glaring flaws: RNG/Legiondaries, Class Design, and Class Balance. EVERYTHING ELSE is better though from previous expansions (even BC/LK). More content than ever before (and for once making Dungeons replayable), great expansion theme, steady patch rate, class (and even spec) quests, so much shit. Again, not perfect, but still, great expansion that people are overly hating on due to RNG and balance/design.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2017-03-23 at 02:39 PM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    ...did you play the game at all during that time? The theme was paradise being destroyed by barbaric invaders (us), literal manifestations of hatred and rage tearing villages to pieces, dead civilians, attempted genocide...

Indeed. I don't understand why people just focus on the Pandaren part. The whole Alliance/Horde war was reignited and reached whole new heights for starters and a lot of Pandaren lore while fresh was linked to old world stuff such as the Old Gods.

Hell the end of the story for MoP sent us back home to deal with Garrosh. We came full circle from 5.1.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post
    I didnt play end game MOP so i can not comment. But i can comment on the lvling aspect. For me MOP was the worst lvling experience i have had. I hate forced lore, you couldnt skip things cause you needed to do the boring Lore quest before to unlock the other quests. The first zones werent that fun and when lvling up again you had to do the same thing over and over again. At least with TBC WOTLK, CATA and Legion you could pick a diferent starting zone. (you didnt had to do Hellfire in tbc if you were lvl 60)
    Uh Legion is kind of forced lore because you have to complete the story in each zone. Sure you can choose but it's still forced lore since you need each Pillar from each zone.

Also you could just level past the zone with dungeons since the xp from them was quick and decent. And you had like 2 choices of where to start in TBC, Wrath and Cata. Hardly much choice.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-03-23 at 02:51 PM.

Hell fucking no....

MoP Was a FUN expac, don't get me wrong, but it had problems....

In 5.3, The Alliance did jack shit that patch, other than turning into a cat. Meanwhile, the Horde took a base...

5.2 Was just whining with Jaina if you were alliance, and Whining with Elves if you were horde. Zhu wasn't really helpful as well....

And 5.4....took too fucking long to keep the playerbase going....

Challenge modes were useless when they came out..

And not to mention the fact that PVP was nearly 1 sided most of the time (Horde).

And...that Ending though....some of the most unsatisfying endings to an expansion EVER! All of which would lead into an even worse expac (WoD), which would also lead into My favorite Expac ever (Legion).

For me, Wrath was Peak WOW. Vanilla was what started its franchise, and I'm like the only person that loves legion.

For me:

Legion/Wrath >>> MoP >>> TBC/Vanilla >>> Cata >>>>> Shit >>>>> Illidan >>>>>> Me'dan >>>>>> Mixed Shit >>>>> WoD

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post

I actually did play during that time. And litterally the ONLY good things in MoP Were the Lore, The Art, The Music, And the first few days of Patch content...

Deleted
    It's funny really, I never really thought about it in that way when it was out, I wasn't a big fan of the theme of the expansion and I really did take a while to warm to MoP. I can't deny though that I have some really fond memories of that expansion, probably because I was in a guild that fit me and we were much more active than I had been in cata.

Still, I don't think I'd say it was my favourite expansion (that would go to TBC or WotLK in my opinion) but it was definitely a good one in terms of content and variety, at least from my perspective.