Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    MoP? peak?!? hell no!!! lol
    random life advice #213: threat people as you want people to threat you.

Quote Originally Posted by TJrogue View Post
    Problem isn't the Asian theme per se mind you. It's that it was handled in a revolting excessive stereotypical way.
    Night elves have some aspect of Asian architecture I was told once, but they're not called "Matsumoto" eat sushi and have a class call samurai.
    I hope my analogy helps.
    MoP was clearly an asian-themed xpac, so it had to be "asian-excessive".. Personally I say letting one full xpac be asian-oriented is no biggy.

Anyway to respond the OP, MoP was one of a hell of an expansion, and this when there were 100 devs working only for WoW. We can feel their numbers in this xpac, it was a very rich xpac and I regret they didn't keep the 100 dev to design more content these days...

I have not played much in Wrath and Cata, so I cannot compare and say MoP was the better xpac though. But all in all a solid xpac for me.

I think gameplay wise mop was the best expansion there has ever been. It was alt friendly, so I got to experience raiding on the most toons I have have (6 toons that were full heroic by the end of SoO when they introduced mythic). Class design was really fun for all of the classes I played, and I didn't hear many complaints from other people about their own classes. SoO lasted way too long, but the boss encounters were really good, ToT was amazing, and overall it was by far the most fun I've ever had in wow.

However, if you play wow from a story standpoint the game gets significantly more subjective, and I honestly couldn't give fewer shits about lore so I just didn't really care about that as a point of attention in mop, wod, or legion; on that same token though, everybody gets something different out of the game and it seems reasonable to like or dislike an expansion based on that if that is what is important to you.

Merely a Setback Winter Blossom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    MoP was the lowest point wow has seen so far. TBC was peak wow.
    I believe WoD was the lowest point.

Quote Originally Posted by TJrogue View Post
    .... MoP?
    I guess a matter of opinions but yeah it really didn't feel like Wow at all to me. I personally found the story extremely immature
    ...did you play the game at all during that time? The theme was paradise being destroyed by barbaric invaders (us), literal manifestations of hatred and rage tearing villages to pieces, dead civilians, attempted genocide...

Oh, you just focused on the little light bits in between? Explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Great class design (better than anything legion)
    Not for every class.

Meaningful gear progression
    In what way was it different from others?

3 good tiers
    Many will disagree with you here.

Challenge Modes
    Which were pointless unless you actually got all bronze/silver/gold, and then you never went back.

PvP WAS ACTUALLY PLAYABLE
    Do you mean balanced? I can get into PvP right now if I wanted to.

TI and Landfall and IoT all great patches
    TI was great for alts and lousy for mains who were already geared. Landfall was small and boring. IoT (and ToT as well) were massively overhyped and nowhere near as good as they made it out to be.

Was MoP the best it will ever get?
    My signature and myself will both tell you: Lolno.

Oh and you also forgot one of the worst expansion themes ever. I don't mind "OMG KUNG FU PANDA THIS IS FOR BABIES" like the bandwagon was; I really don't. I DO mind pandas and chinatown being the ENTIRE THEME OF MY FUCKING EXPANSION though. Seriously, just put Pandaren in and let us explore a zone or two on Pandaria; don't make it last over 2 fucking years.

Regarding legion though, it's honestly one of the best expansions, it just has a few glaring flaws: RNG/Legiondaries, Class Design, and Class Balance. EVERYTHING ELSE is better though from previous expansions (even BC/LK). More content than ever before (and for once making Dungeons replayable), great expansion theme, steady patch rate, class (and even spec) quests, so much shit. Again, not perfect, but still, great expansion that people are overly hating on due to RNG and balance/design.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2017-03-23 at 02:39 PM.
    Uses the same signature for over a year, just randomly gets infracted for it recently.
    Placeholder signature is placeholder and will hopefully make me finish my shit.
    Oh yeah, I'm a Druid and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    ...did you play the game at all during that time? The theme was paradise being destroyed by barbaric invaders (us), literal manifestations of hatred and rage tearing villages to pieces, dead civilians, attempted genocide...

Indeed. I don't understand why people just focus on the Pandaren part. The whole Alliance/Horde war was reignited and reached whole new heights for starters and a lot of Pandaren lore while fresh was linked to old world stuff such as the Old Gods.

Hell the end of the story for MoP sent us back home to deal with Garrosh. We came full circle from 5.1.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post
    I didnt play end game MOP so i can not comment. But i can comment on the lvling aspect. For me MOP was the worst lvling experience i have had. I hate forced lore, you couldnt skip things cause you needed to do the boring Lore quest before to unlock the other quests. The first zones werent that fun and when lvling up again you had to do the same thing over and over again. At least with TBC WOTLK, CATA and Legion you could pick a diferent starting zone. (you didnt had to do Hellfire in tbc if you were lvl 60)
    Uh Legion is kind of forced lore because you have to complete the story in each zone. Sure you can choose but it's still forced lore since you need each Pillar from each zone.

Also you could just level past the zone with dungeons since the xp from them was quick and decent. And you had like 2 choices of where to start in TBC, Wrath and Cata. Hardly much choice.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-03-23 at 02:51 PM.
    A life with no changes can’t be called life. You can only call it experience. Lelouch Vi Britannia. (Code Geass)
    I refuse to be a slave of fate! I will be the master of my own future! Shir Gold. (Phantasy Star 2)
    Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose. Ayrton Senna. (3 times Formula 1 World Champion)

Hell fucking no....

MoP Was a FUN expac, don't get me wrong, but it had problems....

In 5.3, The Alliance did jack shit that patch, other than turning into a cat. Meanwhile, the Horde took a base...

5.2 Was just whining with Jaina if you were alliance, and Whining with Elves if you were horde. Zhu wasn't really helpful as well....

And 5.4....took too fucking long to keep the playerbase going....

Challenge modes were useless when they came out..

And not to mention the fact that PVP was nearly 1 sided most of the time (Horde).

And...that Ending though....some of the most unsatisfying endings to an expansion EVER! All of which would lead into an even worse expac (WoD), which would also lead into My favorite Expac ever (Legion).

For me, Wrath was Peak WOW. Vanilla was what started its franchise, and I'm like the only person that loves legion.

For me:

Legion/Wrath >>> MoP >>> TBC/Vanilla >>> Cata >>>>> Shit >>>>> Illidan >>>>>> Me'dan >>>>>> Mixed Shit >>>>> WoD

- - - Updated - - -

I actually did play during that time. And litterally the ONLY good things in MoP Were the Lore, The Art, The Music, And the first few days of Patch content...

Quote Originally Posted by Vrothgar View Post
    ohh you hit max level and you have 4k valor points and you wanna buy a weapon? Here you g.... NOPE do 25 boring af dailies every day to unlock rep and then buy a piece
    Except for the part where this did not happen at all. You simply could not earn valor quickly enough to buy everything available to you from reputation vendors even if you only very casually worked on one reputation at a time doing a small handful of dailies every day.

No one was ever gated by reputation dailies in MoP, you were gated by the weekly valor cap.
    Shut your goddamn mouth, Gene!

It's funny really, I never really thought about it in that way when it was out, I wasn't a big fan of the theme of the expansion and I really did take a while to warm to MoP. I can't deny though that I have some really fond memories of that expansion, probably because I was in a guild that fit me and we were much more active than I had been in cata.

Still, I don't think I'd say it was my favourite expansion (that would go to TBC or WotLK in my opinion) but it was definitely a good one in terms of content and variety, at least from my perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    You don't stand next to someone and speak In Spanish in an uncrowded area. Thats not a freedom concept.

Classic: it was amazing because it was new. Lot of bugs, no balance at all. Still was so fun, it was hard but satisfying. Good old times, there was nothing better.
    Great community, gear was so precious and satisfying thing to get.
    10/10 - back then. wouldn't play it now ofc.

TBC: pimped classic, better balance, arenas, both pve and pvp was fun, realm community was a thing, ppl still didnt have that much alts so we knew each other, great raids, amazing tier sets, great zones.
    9/10 - back then, would play it even now.

Wotlk: so great thematicaly, classes were fun to play, alts started to be a big thing, community/guild felt less important than before, naxx and TotC were shit, dungeons were great and ulduar, ICC, all dragons were amazing and fun. pvp was great. First time in WoW i stopped playing for a while as it felt like there was nothing to do (TotC period).
    8/10 - would play again.

Cata: not a fan of boosted leveling and revamped zones, thematicaly was nice tho (deathwing and zones.. not vashir). It felt good to play back then and i liked pvp. Raids were meh. After Ulduar and ICC, firelands and deathwing were dissapointment. Chogal and sinestra were top tier for me.
    7/10 - would not play again probably, maybe pvp.

MoP: insects, insects everywhere, pandarens were OK-ish, but it was too much chinese, and that feeling was not great from start.
    However throne of thunder changed that to a good expansion, that new zone, extra HC boss, nice theme. Even siege was ok, but it lasted for such long time, jesus..
    I started to like healing in this expansion, liked pvp as well, but those new talents were a bad idea imho.
    7/10 - would not play again, maybe pvp.

WoD: now this one was interesting, so good ideas, and they managed to f*ck it up with garrisons, such shame.. orcs everywhere, but i dont mind that, better than insects/panda spam. raids were OK, dungeons as well, but very soon became obsolete. I still enjoyed PvP as there was nothing to do.
    I also liked Ashran, and pvp specialized gear was a good idea, also valor weekly cap was ok for alts and new characters as a catch up.
    Challenge mode was a failure in WoD.
    7/10 - only downside were garrisons, and long time without content. If there were current myth+, World Quests, and more content and no garrison, one can dream.

Legion: again so many great ideas, but they always find a way how to screw things up.
    Half of spells gone, in some cases it is a huge deal, in some its ok.
    Now they made turn a 180 degrees from total boredom into full time job as a AP farmer and RNG hunter.
    Nice zones, dungeons and raids and some great new spell effects.
    However, classes are so boring. Frost DK with only frost runes and frost presence, tons of spells gone, everything is blue-ish/white-ish. Fire mage, only fire spells, I dont like that idea. For me classes lost some fantasy.
    AP should have weekly cap, so its not like a job, and once you hit cap you can do what ever you like.
    Legendary system is shit, you should be able to pick legendary or just delete them and pretend they never existed.
    Talents.. i liked old talent trees, not you have to adjust talents for every type of fight. I hate that system to bone.
    Just remove talents at all or put back old talent system with expansive price on talent changes.
    You feel like you have a choice but still everyone uses same builds for ST, same for cleave, same for AoE, where is the choice?
    it is just annoying.
    PvP is shit. No real pvp gear, only item lvl matters, so best gear comes from pve.. World PvP is a joke.
    Myth raid designed for 54 traits..
    So on and so on..
    Myth+ great design, kara is fun, WQsts are ok (still should be weekly cap on AP, so ppl can choose where they get AP and dont try to do them all).
    6/10 so far, have some high hopes for 7.2, tho.
    Last edited by Noremis; 2017-03-23 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    MoP was good, TBC the peek for me.
    This, while TBC had issues, never had more fun in wow then in TBC

For me as a long time warlock player.....yes it was.

The lore and raids were excellent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Oh and you also forgot one of the worst expansion themes ever. I don't mind "OMG KUNG FU PANDA THIS IS FOR BABIES" like the bandwagon was; I really don't. I DO mind pandas and chinatown being the ENTIRE THEME OF MY FUCKING EXPANSION though. Seriously, just put Pandaren in and let us explore a zone or two on Pandaria; don't make it last over 2 fucking years.
    MOP was NOT "pandas and chinatown" for two years. Aside from leveling and some dungeons, the entire expansion was bugs, Mogu, and Orcs. What you claimed they didn't do, is EXACTLY WHAT THEY DID. You could play a panda, or do a couple zones or dungeons that had them as a focus. I don't recall a single Panda, or a Pandarian theme, after The Thunder King content, it was all Mogu and Trolls.

I suspect your opinion is based more on bigotry than reality, and you really should keep it to yourself.

I'd say around 2007 - 2010 personally terms of how bloody everywhere WoW was and in terms of popularity.
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-03-23 at 08:26 PM.

Oh, it should also be noted that WoW, much like Dennis, peaked in high school.

[ twitch ][ Elhaym#1731 if you have any questions ] [ The Official MMO-Champion Bingo Card. ]

As I said already I found the thematics in the expansion were handled very poorly. That includes all the stuff you mentioned. It was handled poorly. They were... teeny.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    Hell fucking no....

MoP Was a FUN expac, don't get me wrong, but it had problems....

In 5.3, The Alliance did jack shit that patch, other than turning into a cat. Meanwhile, the Horde took a base...

5.2 Was just whining with Jaina if you were alliance, and Whining with Elves if you were horde. Zhu wasn't really helpful as well....

And 5.4....took too fucking long to keep the playerbase going....

Challenge modes were useless when they came out..

And not to mention the fact that PVP was nearly 1 sided most of the time (Horde).

And...that Ending though....some of the most unsatisfying endings to an expansion EVER! All of which would lead into an even worse expac (WoD), which would also lead into My favorite Expac ever (Legion).

For me, Wrath was Peak WOW. Vanilla was what started its franchise, and I'm like the only person that loves legion.

For me:

Legion/Wrath >>> MoP >>> TBC/Vanilla >>> Cata >>>>> Shit >>>>> Illidan >>>>>> Me'dan >>>>>> Mixed Shit >>>>> WoD

- - - Updated - - -

I actually did play during that time. And litterally the ONLY good things in MoP Were the Lore, The Art, The Music, And the first few days of Patch content...
    I found all of what you mentioned extremely lacking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Indeed. I don't understand why people just focus on the Pandaren part. The whole Alliance/Horde war was reignited and reached whole new heights for starters and a lot of Pandaren lore while fresh was linked to old world stuff such as the Old Gods.

Hell the end of the story for MoP sent us back home to deal with Garrosh. We came full circle from 5.1.

- - - Updated - - -

Uh Legion is kind of forced lore because you have to complete the story in each zone. Sure you can choose but it's still forced lore since you need each Pillar from each zone.

Also you could just level past the zone with dungeons since the xp from them was quick and decent. And you had like 2 choices of where to start in TBC, Wrath and Cata. Hardly much choice.
    Things got ignited so much between horde and alliance that we ended up fighting together against Garrosh, having the alliance inside orgrimmar.
    It's not only about the pandaren, which were implemented in a borderline insulting way, it's about the whole range of thematics handled in mop. It's as if a very young writer was asked to fill in.
    Last edited by TJrogue; 2017-03-23 at 08:53 PM.