Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I'd encourage people to go have a look at the appendices. There are really silly metrics for "happiness". The education ones, for example, are pretty bizarre to just flatly count as "happiness" or believe is a causal agent of happiness. I'm pretty educated and this probably does correlate with my happiness, so it might be some incredibly loose proxy for the concept, but just saying that all else held equal, more educated people are happier seems absurd. Likewise, it includes parental education and other measures that don't seem like they have much to do with anything.

Including inequality as an independent variable is another odd one - if this is actually causing unhappiness, you should already find it in self-reporting metrics and mental health metrics. There's no reason to look at two groups that say they're equally happy and don't show differences in mental health and just declare that the less equal group must be less happy. Well, there is a reason, but it's a transparently political reason.

There are quite a few other independent variables that don't really make sense as independent variables.

The way points are rewarded are sufficiently arbitrary to give the authors the fudge factor to move countries around in the rankings as they see fit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Happiness is an emotional state. It's flimsy and is influenced by all sorts of things including chemistry, perception, trauma, whatever. Happiness also fluctuates. You could start your day happy, but that doesn't mean you're gonna end your day happy.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only people bitching about this report are Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    Canada only 7th. Interesting considering how some canadians on mmo-c are arrogantly bloating how great canada and Trudeau is one would think they be #1 with a huge lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    The only people bitching about this report are Americans.
    I mean, I explicitly explained why it's not a very good report. If your retort is, "yeah, well, you're just American", how is this anything other than just admitting that you're willing to buy into bullshit if it feeds into what you want to believe?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conflux View Post
    Canada only 7th. Interesting considering how some canadians on mmo-c are arrogantly bloating how great canada and Trudeau is one would think they be #1 with a huge lead.
    Tennis isn't Canadian, he's Somalian.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I mean, I explicitly explained why it's not a very good report. If your retort is, "yeah, well, you're just American", how is this anything other than just admitting that you're willing to buy into bullshit if it feeds into what you want to believe?
    No, I just take it for what it is and move on with my life. I don't get my jimmies rustled over this in one way or another.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

No, I just take it for what it is and move on with my life. I don't get my jimmies rustled over this in one way or another.
    I will take this as a concession that you're pretty willing to read bullshit uncritically.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I will take this as a concession that you're pretty willing to read bullshit uncritically.
    So I take it you are unhappy with the methodology of the happiness index? Ironic.

So I take it you are unhappy with the methodology of the happiness index? Ironic.
    I'd actually say that picking apart bullshit makes me pretty happy, so I appreciate there efforts and faux-precision.

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    Why do the countries on the top of that list are also the ones with the biggest suicide rates ??
    Those governments are actualy counting/registrating suicides because they care.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

How is Australia so high up there when they live in constant free of their lives since everything wants to kill them?

With the problems Europe is suffering lately this years i dont believe the graphic.

"World Whitest Countries" fixed the title.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    So bored of seeing the UK as one entity in these polls, its completely useless for everyone on the islands.
    "screams internally"
    Even worse when people refer to the UK as England.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    How is Australia so high up there when they live in constant free of their lives since everything wants to kill them?
    There was a reason we picked that place to put the prisoners. It was Gods test ground for killer shit.

i think you'll find north korea has a very different list to this.

Would love to see a breakdown on the demographics from 1-20.

10+ Year Old Account
    wait so chile has a better life expectancy than the united states?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.