Protection coming 7.2

What's your thoughts on protection warr coming patch 7.2? Stll the second worst (sorry DKs, you are still at the bottom) or we can climb the hill?

Depends on the content but id say we are pretty strong in m+ cause of the extra dmg we can put out. and the raiding part depends on how much magic dmg we will have in ToS. cause we do have good physical mitigation

I have to agree with Lappfan... I mean, look at WHY we were suffering in Nighthold. Star Augur and Krosus did CONSTANT heavy magic damage. We don't handle that well. But, against Spellblade, we can basically sleep through it, because we block our way through.

Then, we're getting a flat 5% damage dealt reduction on our enemies with Nelth's Thunder, which will help a bit, and Spell Reflect is being buffed to 50%, so we can handle burst magic even easier. I admit, I have not looked too heavily into Tomb of Sargeras, but from what I've heard, the majority of magic damage is either in nuked bursts, or 5-8 second bursts. We handle those just fine.

Our tier 20, although it looks fucking amazing, is stupid, and I'll probably try to get a good T19 2set to keep anyway. I mean, just looking at a couple fights, I generally can average 10-15 Shield Slams easily enough during a 45 second period (CD of Berserker Rage with Warlord's Challenge). So that's about 1 shield slam every 3-4.5 seconds. We'll say every 4 seconds, to be a little lenient. At 3 seconds per slam, we get the cooldown down to approximately 27 seconds, at 50 rage, or 111 rage/min. At 800k IPs, that's about an extra ~1.5M IP per minute. It's not AMAZING, but it's not bad either. I just really like the T19 2set.

Speaking of which... Our new trait, that increases block strength. Does anyone know if that is also doubled with a crit block, so instead of 8% increase at 4/4, it'd be a 16% increase on a crit block (for a total of 76%), or if it stays at 8%?

EDIT: That's not to say I don't think there's issues that need fixed. We definitely have issues that I think should be fixed. We have talent rows that are debates between throughput, damage, or survivability as one example. I feel it would be better to have variety of throughput/survivability to be on their owns tiers, to make a choice. For one, the debate between Indom/Devastator feels awful. Mainly because I don't really like Devastator. I can do it well enough, I just feel weird having to watch a swing timer WA. I perosnally would prefer to return to EN, when we ran Indom and just used Devastate, but the massive amount of rage from Devastator is too good...

Also, as I read someone else say once... Blizz knew that balancing RFDT was a nightmare. They've said balancing around absorbs is a nightmare. Why then, did they make a tank that was all about RFDT and absorbs?
    Last edited by Shieldarm; 2017-03-20 at 06:08 PM.

I don't understand all the people that say our issue is magic damage when big physical unblockable hits are as bad as magic damage. Odyn spear, guarm flashing fang, krosus slam, star augur comet impact are all non blockable. Correct me if I'm wrong on the last 2 being non blockable as I've played my warrior very little this patch since I rerolled.
    I really don't get why not all phys damage is blockable, not like monk and druids were able to get spears in melee on progress.

From blizz answer to the prot warrior ptr feedback there won't be any class tuning untill 7.2.5 with tomb of sargeras. So to answer OP question prot warrior is still shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverer View Post
    I don't understand all the people that say our issue is magic damage when big physical unblockable hits are as bad as magic damage. Odyn spear, guarm flashing fang, krosus slam, star augur comet impact are all non blockable. Correct me if I'm wrong on the last 2 being non blockable as I've played my warrior very little this patch since I rerolled.
    I really don't get why not all phys damage is blockable, not like monk and druids were able to get spears in melee on progress.

From blizz answer to the prot warrior ptr feedback there won't be any class tuning untill 7.2.5 with tomb of sargeras. So to answer OP question prot warrior is still shit.
    A part of it, is when it comes to those unblockable physical hits, we at least have armor to help mitigate it. Darkmoon Card, base armor, Dragon Scales, those all help. As well, we have cooldowns for those too. I agree more should be blockable, since our toolkit is built so heavily on it, but Krosus' dot is a hell of a lot scarier than his slam.

It is but if warrior is supposed to be the best at physical mitigation it should be against all phys damage, truth is only DH and maybe DK are worst at phys damage but war was legit the worst tank for odyn and will be for any boss that will throw a phys big hit on you and that doesn't seem right at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverer View Post
    It is but if warrior is supposed to be the best at physical mitigation it should be against all phys damage, truth is only DH and maybe DK are worst at phys damage but war was legit the worst tank for odyn and will be for any boss that will throw a phys big hit on you and that doesn't seem right at all.
    I would think our mobility and ability to pool shields would be very useful. As far as physical hits go I do agree Krosus's slam was incredibly dangerous, but only because we also had to deal with the Searing Brand simultaneously.

All Prot warriors are going to get replaced by Bear druids with the same ilvl and the same amount of traits come 7.2. When you log in on Patchday all you have to do is give your new druid a name and you are ready for raiding X
    I started the Book of Faces moving
    Was involved in the RP Invasion

/Brofisting Vol'Jin

Less competition on those prot warrior parses for me, I suppose.

Deleted
    I think 7.2 should help us be more competitive on the raiding scene, though I feel Blizzard could make better decision regarding our ability to sustain magical damage like Krossus/Star Augur encounters.

Playing mostly M+ and all raids except Mythic NH, I am very confortable as a warrior and love my class (I started in Vanilla as main tank and have not played another main class since then, even if I missed some expansions).

I inflict massive dmg for a tanking class, I keep the aggro very well, I generate so much rage than I can heal myself a good portion of the fight, I have an exceptional mobility, I can cast many CDs to save my hide and the playstile is very nervous. I love Devastator playstyle.

The only thing that I find difficult, at my ilevel, is to sustain high magical damage situations (either for a long time, or very high bursts), or face repeated physical bursts (despite all our CDs and possible externals).

This reminds me of prot palas before 7.1.5, when they were the king of overgeared contents, and had lots of trouble to face progress contents. Warriors seems a bit in this situation now. We shine in situations where we overgear the content.