Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle34346186/

Great to see. I think no matter who we are, we can support this action of supporting human rights. Enough is enough. Torture is unacceptable!
    It is a policy that those on the signatory list should be supporting, against those fake lawyers that want to destabilize the country while raking in as much money for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    The problem is that forcibly imposing a value system on a foreign culture has pretty much never worked in the history of mankind. A lot of people living in these oppressive regimes are fully aware of how fucked up their own society is, however they are even more hostile toward Western influences because they know what a terrible track record the West has when it comes to "well-intentioned" interventions. So what you have is that people are trying to look for a way to reform the system from within while staying true to their own values and culture rather than simply copying Western ideas, something which of course sounds amazing but is virtually impossible given how interconnected the world has become.

And yeah there are lots of Westerners who are genuinely concerned about third world problems and eager to help, but even with the best intentions, there's a thin line between condescension and patronization, and most people can't help but swing back and forth between the two. I just feel like the general attitude from most of these countries is that they don't want us to interfere, not because our intentions aren't genuine, but because we don't really understand their problems and can't do anything to really help anyone except to make ourselves feel better.
    It has worked many times though, when it was done intelligently. Not just "Veni. Vidi. Vici. Now you are civilized, friends!!!", but with the actual plans to urge and to assist another country with democratic transition. It worked with Japan, with Korea, with West Germany, with a few Latin American countries... It even, again, to an extent, worked with Soviet Union: arguably, had the US government not interfered in early 90-s with harsh demands on stopping human rights violations, Russia would be in a much more sinister state now.

People should realize that, while different cultures have different traditions and different political leanings, there are universal values such as human rights and equality that should always be pushed, because they make the life of the entire society happier. Women in Iran wear hijabs not just because it is their culture, but also because the law demands it; no one will lose anything by those restrictions lifted, so those who wear hijabs because of their culture can still do it, and those that do not want to do it have a free choice in the matter.

Most Chinese dissidents, I'm sure, wouldn't mind the US demanding the Chinese government to take a stronger stance against human rights violations. The majority of people would take it as unjustified interference in Chinese matters, because of propaganda and traditionalist way of thinking - but it is the minority that fights for everyone's rights that always defined in what direction the society is moving, and it is worth supporting. But, again, talking about these matters endlessly, arguing from the position of moral superiority, and, at the same time, barely doing anything is hardly going to win a lot of extra allies in China.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle34346186/

Great to see. I think no matter who we are, we can support this action of supporting human rights. Enough is enough. Torture is unacceptable!
    Why does your nation sell weapons to other nations that beheads gays then?

Many rich Americans actually admire Chinese political system.

You invest billions of dollars for a state-of-the-art factory.
    You certainly wish to find slavers to work in it.

If employees have too many rights, no one will invest a lot money on a factory.

Capitalism works great in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
    Why does your nation sell weapons to other nations that beheads gays then?
    I don't really see what this has to do with the topic at hand.