geeming/chanting fire mage

So this is probably a silly question, but I'm being driven mad.
    I'm by no means a great mage, but I'm not completely terrible either. I'm also aware that fire mages aren't at the top, that I may just need to suck it up.
    I've run my mage through Simcraft and then placed the stat weights into AMR and now AMR is telling me to gem/chant for versatility.
    I've always been led to believe crit all the way for fire mage, though I also understand that mastery is ok now depending on AoE situations.
    Unable to add links due to new poster.
    But if you want to search me on armory
    Character: Jukari
    Server: US Khaz'Goroth
    Guild: Phoenix Risen

I guess my question is, do I go with what AMR is now telling me to do, or just leave things as is?
    Last edited by Jukari88; 2017-03-21 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukari88 View Post
    So this is probably a silly question, but I'm being driven mad.
    I'm by no means a great mage, but I'm not completely terrible either. I'm also aware that fire mages aren't at the top, that I may just need to suck it up.
    I've run my mage through Simcraft and then placed the stat weights into AMR and now AMR is telling me to gem/chant for versatility.
    I've always been led to believe crit all the way for fire mage, though I also understand that mastery is ok now depending on AoE situations.
    Unable to add links due to new poster.
    But if you want to search me on armory
    Character: Jukari
    Server: US Khaz'Goroth
    Guild: Phoenix Risen

I guess my question is, do I go with what AMR is now telling me to do, or just leave things as is?
    I guess what AMR is telling you is that for simmed max-DPS, you need to socket as was shown. If that is something you need to follow is another thing you should decide for yourself.

For starters, you could just press the 'Simulate' button on AMR to see how much DPS the suggestion will give you. Then change your sockets back to crit for instance and sim again with AMR. Probably do that a few times to get a feeling for the error margin and compare. Sometimes it only gives you a slight advantage which isn't worth the hassle regemming with every new item, sometimes the AMR suggestions just brings you plain lower DPS despite saying it would be better.

I also suggest, that you do your own stat weight calculation in AMR before you sim anything else or use the Best-In-Bag feature. It may get you very different results than you will get with the generic stat weights. This can be done with choosing 'Gearing Strategy' in the simulator as the sim type setting. You need the client program for this though and it will run for half an hour or more, depending on your CPU. But without it, AMR is merely a coarse suggestion than anything else. Fortunately, you can save your own personal stat weights in AMR for later use. The calculations don't need to be done every time.