Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Power rangers first superhero movie to feature openly gay main character

"THR brings word that part of Power Rangers’ human element involves the Yellow Ranger, Trini (played by actress Becky G), coming to terms with her sexual orientation. In one scene, a character assumes Trini is having “boyfriend problems,” but quickly comes to realize that she’s having “girlfriend problems.” Director Dean Israelite explains what he thinks is one of the movie’s “pivotal” moments:

“For Trini, really she’s questioning a lot about who she is. She hasn’t fully figured it out yet. I think what’s great about that scene and what that scene propels for the rest of the movie is, ‘That’s OK.’ The movie is saying, ‘That’s OK,’ and all of the kids have to own who they are and find their tribe.”"

http://www.slashfilm.com/gay-power-rangers-character/

The original '90s Blue Ranger actor David Yost left the series after facing harassment over being gay - and now, nearly 25 years later, he praised the film's progressive step in the right direction.

He said in a TooFab interview: 'They really stepped up to the plate. I think so many people in the LGBTQI community are going to be excited to see that representation.'

also while i dont know if its the first the blue ranger is also an autist

"Equally as groundbreaking and significant is the new Blue Ranger Billy - played by RJ Cyler - who is on the 'autism spectrum.'"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...#ixzz4bvivE9yc
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Stuff nobody should care about but lots of people do.

Quote Originally Posted by Instructor Soki View Post
    lots of gay kids grow up seeing nothing but straight couples and straight people and feel as though they are "wrong" or "broken" in some way.

the original blue ranger almost killed himself after going through conversion therapy after leaving the show until he eventually accepted and loved himself

- - - Updated - - -

this will also be the first ever gay power ranger period
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

What's your take on this? Is this good or are they taking it too far?

I only have a problem with this if it looks forced in the movie. If the scene is good, compelling story and makes sense with the character, then fine. But I don't like if someone's sexuality is their defining trait.

true.Yet it is shoved down peoples throats so much now.No pun intended.Like the new alien movie.The one and only goal of the mission they are on is to colonize the new world they are going to.Why is there a gay couple there lol it makes no sense and is just there to satisfy the LGBT community so they won't freak out and picket and loot and pillage everything.That is just my thought on it.

All depends on the execution of the scenes.

The movie looks terrible and extremely cheesy. Don't care if they were all gay. I will probably never see the movie. Unless someone paid me... Or if I was really high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    'Finding one's tribe' is how people become gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post
    What's your take on this? Is this good or are they taking it too far?

I only have a problem with this if it looks forced in the movie. If the scene is good, compelling story and makes sense with the character, then fine. But I don't like if someone's sexuality is their defining trait.
    its impossible to tell how defining a character trait it is since the movie isnt out yet but it wasnt in any of the trailers, nor could i tell billy was autistic.

i think its a pretty cool move of them. the reason billy wasnt a ranger in zeo and didnt get the gold ranger powers was because they told him "someone like you doesnt deserve to be a superhero"

20 years later, one of the original power rangers is gay in a big budget movie. times, they are a changin

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hornfreak View Post
    true.Yet it is shoved down peoples throats so much now.
    only 19 characters in the top 100 movies last year were openly gay.

but yes, it is "shoved down peoples throats"

as for your other comment about colonizing planets. i havent seen the new alien movie so i cant comment, but you do know colonizing involves more than going to a place planting a flag and fucking right? if a gay person is a good scientist or engineer id rather have them with me than a subar one, especially since we have invitro fertilization NOW you think they arent better at that shit in a time where we can colonize OTHER PLANETS? we cant even reach mars right now dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i think its a pretty cool move of them. the reason billy wasnt a ranger in zeo and didnt get the gold ranger powers was because they told him "someone like you doesnt deserve to be a superhero"
    That's awful. I understand the reasoning for having a gay character now, there's definitely a symbolic value there. Still want a well-written character, though. I don't want power rangers to end up like Fantastic 4.

10+ Year Old Account
    How I feel about it depends on how they decide to present it. I have no problem with having gay characters in media. It can make for a good character or story if done right. I do have a problem when the only noteworthy thing about that character is the fact that they're gay. In other words, gay characters are fine to me, but I draw the line when being gay becomes the all-encompassing identify characteristic of the character where The Gay™ dwarfs every other interesting thing about them.

Justin likes sports. Josh likes computers. Sarah likes martial arts. And Kevin is gay.

It goes from "look at this character who just so happens to be gay" to being "look at how gay this character is". Seems like pandering to me. As in, you don't have a gay character because you want one or think it would make for a more compelling character, you only have one because you think it'll win you brownie points with certain crowds. And characters written with the latter goal in mind tend to become that orientation instead of simply being a person of that orientation. They're a gay caricature instead of just being a gay character.

But I don't like being presumptuous and getting upset on someone else's behalf, so if the LGBT community is fine with it then I'm not going to question it.

10+ Year Old Account
    the real question is, WHO CARES?

i don't care if any movie with a relationship is straight/gay/queer/demonic ETC. WHO fucking cares.

i hate it when they publicize this just for the sake of being politically correct. Just show it in the damn movie and let it be the end of it, it doesn't need to be paraded for the champion of political correctness.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post

i don't care if any movie with a relationship is straight/gay/queer/demonic ETC. WHO fucking cares.

i hate it when they publicize this just for the sake of being politically correct. Just show it in the damn movie and let it be the end of it, it doesn't need to be paraded for the champion of political correctness.
    if you dont understand why representation in media matters its probably because youve always been represented so you dont know what it is like not to be.

20 years ago the blue ranger was bullied and harrased for being gay to the point he tried to convert his sexuality and almost killed himself.

less than a week from now a power ranger in a 100 million dollar movie is gay. not only that, but its the first ever gay super hero in a movie.

- - - Updated - - -

gay kids, autistic kids, kids of every race are going to go see this movie and see someone just like them be a super hero, be normal.

gay kids, autistic kids, kids of every race are going to go see this movie and see someone just like them be a super hero, be normal.
    Whatever happened to the "you're special, you're unique" thing people were trying to push? It seems everyone abandoned that and have gone collectivist. Huge step back, IMO.

Also, I don't think you know what normal means...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Right : we don't want people to be different
    Left : we want people to be different and we want to make it official.

Rational : Whilst we talk about them (blacks, women, fatties, gays, poor) vs us - it will remain them vs us.

A bit sick and tired of 77 genders beings thrust down our throats.

My question is this - when was the last Power Rangers to feature an OPENLY straight main character?

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post

Yeah, it bothers me too. Build homosexual relationships into plots if you want; it makes things more interesting. Do it Game of Thrones style though, instead of publicizing your inclusiveness to turn coin.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sadly, none of this righteousness is being channeled into making the movie look decent in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post

My question is this - when was the last Power Rangers to feature an OPENLY straight main character?
    all of them?

all of them?
    OPENLY... not as in by assumption.

How often is there a straight pride rally parading scantily dressed straights ?

Why doesn't LGBTQ have an S(straight) in it ?

The focus is too heavily on focusing and emphasising the differences ... that's what is wrong.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Whatever happened to the "you're special, you're unique" thing people were trying to push? It seems everyone abandoned that and have gone collectivist. Huge step back, IMO.

Also, I don't think you know what normal means...
    what is not normal about being any of those things?