Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by partshark View Post
    Power Rangers are not super heroes.
    In modern popular fiction, a superhero (sometimes rendered super-hero or super hero) is a type of costumed heroic character who possesses supernatural or superhuman powers and who is dedicated to fighting crime, protecting the public, and usually battling supervillains.
    Sounds like that's exactly what they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Wait. Are you saying that being gay is a choice? Gay people decide to be gay? Ok. I didn't think that was the popular opinion these days.
    Choice is a strong word. It certainly isn't genetics, and it certainly isn't hormones in the womb, as only between 7-20% of homosexual identical twins share their sexuality with their twin despite sharing all of their genes and prenatal hormones.

Cultural pressure is a subtle thing. I think sexuality can be changed if you know what you're doing. But more often than not, this leads to suicide. So again, choice is a strong word, one that I wouldn't use here. But that doesn't mean that sexuality is somehow invincible to outside influence; in fact, I think it's extremely susceptible.

And you're right that it's not a popular opinion. But truth isn't popular. It has't really ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Ehh see the rest of my post that you didn't quote was a detailed description of why strict homosexual behavior could not evolve
    Fun fact - I don't quote everything everyone writes.

Also - historical evolution of strict homosexual behaviour isn't required to end up with behaviour today which is strict homosexual behaviour.

So much of our behaviour today is old adaptions in out of place environments.

- - - Updated - - -

From your post.
    Nope ... wasn't anything I said... you just made it up.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by partshark View Post
    Power Rangers are not super heroes.
    They have magical power coins that allow them to receive super powered suits from the morphing grid.

And they fight evil, how are they not superheroes? Theyve crossed over with the Ninja turtles and the justice league
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Fun fact - I don't quote everything everyone writes.
    Okay, that's fair. I'm not insulted, I'm just confused as to why you left out the answer to your question.

Also - historical evolution of strict homosexual behaviour isn't required to end up with behaviour today which is strict homosexual behaviour.

So much of our behaviour today is old adaptions in out of place environments.
    Yes, and that's exactly my point. To restate, I'm arguing that strict homosexual behavior in humans is not an evolved trait, but rather an outcome of cultural extremism. I think there are predispositions that allow individuals to be pushed in one direction or the other, but if our culture did not incentivize binary sexuality through the institutions of monogamy and marriage, as well as the maligning of non-heterosexual identities, then most people would be much more open to sexual interactions with both sexes.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    Power rangers first superhero movie to feature openly gay main character
    Not really true, as usual with such things.

In 1981 there was Zorro the Gay Blade. Literally the first gay mainstream superhero movie.

In 1996 there was Barb Wire with a clearly bisexual heroine in the lead, and it was even written by a lesbian screenwriter.

2001's Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back almost kinda-sorta counts as a superhero movie, of which the characters Banky Edwards and Hooper X were gay.

In 2005 there was V for Vendetta in which Stephen Fry (a proudly gay actor) portrayed a gay character.

2005 also gave us Sin City, in which Carla Guigino's character was gay.

In 2006 there was Bloodrayne. While I don't recall if their characters were portrayed that way (though there were some straight-up lesbian vampires if I recall), the lead actress (Kristanna Loken) and Michelle Rodriguez were openly bisexual. That holds true for a number of films though, where the actors were gay (Shawn Ashmore in the X-Men, for instance). Oh, and Bloodrayne, too, was written by a lesbian screenwriter.

In 2010 we got Scott Pilgrim vs. the World which had a couple of gay characters, particularly Roxanne Richter and Stephen Stills.

Magnus Bane in 2013's The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones was bisexual, too, and Alec Lightwood was gay.

It's also long been joked that Batman and Robin (especially the Adam West and Burt Ward versions) were homosexual, and they've been in a number of movies based on the television series as well. Unintended, of course, but it's still worth mentioning.

Oh, and of course there's Deadpool from the 2016 movie of the same name who's famously pansexual.

I'm sure there's more, but those were the ones that came immediately to mind. (Though I did have to look up their release dates in most cases.)
    "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through out political and culture life, nutured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" —Isaac Asimov

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure I can agree with you there. Even genetically identical twins can be different heights. The subtleties of the human brain's development can have extreme effects on behavior.
    There are certainly rare cases of significant differences in heights or weights, as well as other traits, between identical twins. They can be the outcome of tumors or malnutrition. But again, these are rare cases - nothing on the magnitude observed for differences in sexuality, where if genetics and womb environment were indeed responsible for sexuality, we would still see 90%+ equivalence between twins, which is not the case at all (and that's a very conservative estimate - it's probably closer to 98%).

I'm just making the philosophical argument that if homosexuality is determined at birth and we have full control over the baby's characteristics, CHOOSING to make your child gay would be MUCH more extreme than choosing to circumcise your child, and you would not even have the benefit of possibly weak medical benefits to support your choice.

Homosexuality results in some very strong disadvantages such as the inability to have genetic children. While it might be theoretically possible for future medical technology to figure out how to fertilize an artificial egg with the DNA from two men's sperm, it would be much simpler for everyone involved to just avoid the issue from the start.
    Homosexuality isn't determined at birth, so it's not a useful thought experiment. But if it was, then I agree with you. I would say that choosing to make your child gay would be immoral, especially considering that it isn't a biological trait that falls within an evolved norm.

That being said, homosexual behavior is entirely acceptable and if anything should be encouraged to promote pair bonding. But homosexual behavior and strict homosexuality are not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    OPENLY... not as in by assumption.

How often is there a straight pride rally parading scantily dressed straights ?
    Its bound to begin happening in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post
    That's awful. I understand the reasoning for having a gay character now, there's definitely a symbolic value there. Still want a well-written character, though. I don't want power rangers to end up like Fantastic 4.
    To be good a power ranger movie needs to be bad, but not bad in the same way. It needs to have the badness of a 80s movie with eye rollings lines, stupid slap stick and non sense science. Fan4stick was just boring unwatchable bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    lots of gay kids grow up seeing nothing but straight couples and straight people and feel as though they are "wrong" or "broken" in some way.

the original blue ranger almost killed himself after going through conversion therapy after leaving the show until he eventually accepted and loved himself

- - - Updated - - -

this will also be the first ever gay power ranger period
    This is why you build your identity on what you do and not what you are.

This has devolved from the original topic, and considering how quickly it did so I am closing this topic.