Prot Warrior Haste vs Vers

Icy Veins says stack haste to 30%, Ask Mr Robot says go Vers.

Prot warriors benefit from haste as it increases shield block uptime and is great with the T19 set bonus. But Nighthold is a lot of magic damage and if you're in the heat of the moment and miss a crucial defensive even in an inocculous portion of a progression fight it could mean a death. Some bosses barely melee to begin with.

Could Vers be better than Haste for Prot Warrior in Nighthold?

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a variety of combat situations you find yourself in over M+ and raiding. The haste levels provided by Icy Veins are a general guide for what feels comfortable over most of those situations. In specific cases your may find more or less haste is better, there is also personal preference.

A direct comparison of those stats in isolating does not make a lot of sense and the value of haste is hard to calculate. In general you should go with a haste level you feel comfortable with.
    Last edited by Psidum; 2017-03-21 at 02:56 PM.

It's also worth noting, that gearing for a tank isn't always as cut and dry as it can be for dps. We don't use one be-all end-all set of gear. You should have a set that makes good use of haste and mastery, for those primarily physical fights. If there's a nice blend of both, maybe bleed some mastery for versatility. If it's mostly magical, well, versatility will save your life.

I usually try to maintain just two sets personally, both around 30% haste. One is haste/mastery, the other haste/versatility. It gets me through fine.

Deleted
    Trinkets are also a nice way of adjusting your stats and abilities, since most of trinkets have abilities.

Two sets it is! Magic vers, haste physical, thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by ryast View Post
    Two sets it is! Magic vers, haste physical, thanks all!
    I would moreso say it's magic vers, physical mastery. The haste is still nice for versatility, so you can get more slams and such out for extra rage.

Don't pursue more Haste, or any stat for that matter, at the expense of tons of ilvl. STA and STR are both valuable tank stats as well.

Also, the whole "Stack Haste till 30%" is outdated nonsense. There is no (currently obtainable) threshold where Haste's value drops off significantly. Point for point, it remains the most valuable stat in most situations. That being said, don't stockpile it when there are perfectly good gear upgrades with Mastery/Vers or even Crit on them.

Deleted
    Also, fit your gear with your playstyle.

It is very good to have guides explaining how to theoretically maximize your efficiency, but if your ambition is just to have fun, you may as well get inspired by those guides and adapt to the encounters you face: more versa for heavy magical damage, more mastery for physical damage, etc.

Generally speaking, I like the haste since it synergizes very well with Devastator spec, as well as many skills you can use. I also like to go for a lot of mastery to block more and better (critical blocks, I am looking at you).

Now, for heavy damage situations (Krossus/Star augur), I like to adjust a bit my mastery for more versa (I usually untouch my haste). Rings, necks and trinkets are a very useful way of adjusting this. And legs also, of course !

On Nighthold you should bring two different sets of gear. One oriented to physical damage (Haste>Mastery) for most fights, and the other for heavy magic damage (Stacking versatility), this one mean for Krosus and Star Augur Etraeus .

I generally have 2 sets of gear. One is my standard set of haste/mastery, and the other is heavy versatility for fights like Krosus and Augur. If you mean those two fights, then I could see stats being mixed up. But if you mean a standard physical fight like say Spellblade, I can't imagine vers being better than say mastery after 30% haste.