Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    I've seen different numbers.

I've seen that livestock and their byproducts account for 51% of all worldwide greenhouse emissions.
    http://www.worldwatch.org/node/6294
    http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...s-1812909.html
    http://www.animalfeedscience.com/art...517-7/abstract

We have to remember that there's around 15 billion livestock animals slaughtered every year for food.
    Ya I think people are a little to focused on cow farts in this thread. The fact is the resources required to produce meat far outweigh the resources required to produce any plant product. So from a purely nutritional stand point if you want to produce the most food for the least resource cost people should eat a plant based diet. If you do want to reduce your impact on the planet, reducing your meat consumption would be a good way to do it.

Of course we can. Personally i think the food guidelines are bullshit, created by industrial ag lobbyists. I think we could get by eating meat maybe 3-4 times a month. Sustain our diets with plant based proteins the rest of the time. And people should really learn basic gardening and livestock practices.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    Ya I think people are a little to focused on cow farts in this thread. The fact is the resources required to produce meat far outweigh the resources required to produce any plant product. So from a purely nutritional stand point if you want to produce the most food for the least resource cost people should eat a plant based diet. If you do want to reduce your impact on the planet, reducing your meat consumption would be a good way to do it.
    Not only that, but they'll feel better in general. I love how i feel when i havent eaten meat in a few weeks. Shit bogs me down. I dont even fuck with red meat much at all anymore.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    Other source: https://www.skepticalscience.com/how...ute-to-gw.html

In addition to that knowledge, we haven't discussed side effects like deforestation for pastures, water polution, etc. And we havent even discussed other meatproducts Just hamburgers.... let's think about that for a second.

Can someone really be pro environment / claim they care about the environment while at the same time contributing to the biggest source of carbon footprint, deforestation and water pollution / waste by eating meat?
    Agriculture, even vegan specific agriculture is massively devastating to the environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Agriculture, even vegan specific agriculture is massively devastating to the environment.
    Kind of.

People always forget that livestock needs to eat crops to survive. Their food is grown, just like vegan food is grown.

So basically, which is more:

- the destruction caused by growing crops for vegans

OR

- the destruction caused by growing crops for livestock plus the destruction of growing livestock.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    Exactly.

Not only that, but a cow requires about 24 lbs of day to produce a one time yield of under 500lbs. So if a beef cow is weaned at around 7 months and is slaughtered at 18 months, that's a total of around 7900 lbs of feed to produce 500 lbs of food. There are around 1.5 billion cows on the planet on any given day.

People eat about 5 lbs of food a day.

Once we factor in all livestock and their feed needs, we could easily feed EVERYONE plus have millions of pounds left over, just by using the land that livestock need to feed to instead, grow human food.
    Last edited by Bodakane; 2017-03-22 at 02:38 AM.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Imo they need to invest more in insects instead of meat or endangered fish species.

Certain Fish farm methods also cause lots of pollution.

Growing insects vs Cow meat is a huge difference in waste products, yet very similar nutrition values even in favor of insects.

7+ Year Old Account
    Kind of.

People always forget that livestock needs to eat crops to survive. Their food is grown, just like vegan food is grown.

So basically, which is more:

- the destruction caused by growing crops for vegans

OR

- the destruction caused by growing crops for livestock plus the destruction of growing livestock.
    Death and destruction are inevitable. Go full Jain if you want to bark up that tree. Vegans also require supplements and artificially created vitamins to survive. I don't go for fad feel good diets that cannot even exist naturally.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Yes. Native Americans ate meat; they simply respected the animal and did not waste it. If you can do the same (IE not waste food), you can eat meat and respect the environment.

Why does this feel like a loaded question?
    Except they didn't and used to drive herds of buffalo over a cliff, wasting most of the meat because they had no efficient way of avoiding meat decay. In terms of not wasting the animal we're probably doing better than ever thanks to refrigeration

It is my understanding that the overall footprint for vegans is larger, as many vegan food sources are not calorie dense and overall require more space.

Did not read the actual article/study that said that, so not sure if that is actually true or not.

Can someone be pro environment and eat meat?
    Yes.

Its mind boggling. I know.

I've seen different numbers.

I've seen that livestock and their byproducts account for 51% of all worldwide greenhouse emissions.
    http://www.worldwatch.org/node/6294
    http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...s-1812909.html
    http://www.animalfeedscience.com/art...517-7/abstract

We have to remember that there's around 15 billion livestock animals slaughtered every year for food.
    I've heard 20%? Where did they get 50%? Jesus I'm behind the curve then haha.

I'll look at your links at home, I'm on my phone at the moment.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Op talks about eating 'MEAT' than references just burgers and burger production. I think that this idea is already flawed....

7+ Year Old Account
    Death and destruction are inevitable. Go full Jain if you want to bark up that tree. Vegans also require supplements and artificially created vitamins to survive. I don't go for fad feel good diets that cannot even exist naturally.
    Death from what, starving people? Food is just molecules. Science can help us mass produce all the nutrition we need.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because you are 'pro something' doesn't mean you have to commit 118% of your mind, body, and soul into it. You don't have to be an extremist to believe in something.

By your logic, if you're pro-environment, you should just kill yourself because EVERYTHING we do, has some kind of damage to the environment.

Ride a bike? The bike manufacturers ruin the environment in some way.
    Eat vegan? The vegan industry ruin the environment in some way.
    Protest about pollution? The sign and clothing industry ruin the environment in some way.

I don't think there is literally anything a person in this day and age does in modern society that doesn't have 10,000 different ways to impact environment... But they can still believe in helping, and do things to help despite that.

EDIT: Also, those numbers are hilarious. 7500-15000 cars is... almost virtually nothing. It's pretty damn close to zero... And that's under the idea of a stupidly high ratio that everyone eats 3 burgers a week.. Which We probably dont fulfill 20% of.

(Doing the math, since math is being used as a talking point... 3 burgers a week would account for literally 0.001% pollution of cars. It's literally Not News.)
    Last edited by chazus; 2017-03-22 at 05:18 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Death from what, starving people? Food is just molecules. Science can help us mass produce all the nutrition we need.
    Industrial production creates pollution and problems.

You don't know the first thing about actual vegan diets. You think a veagn just eats raw veggies. You're wrong. I've been vegan for almost a decade and take no supplements.

But wait, lemme guess you know more about it than I do, right?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes

now stop listening to vegans and shun them from society, like they should be.

You sound like sargeras.
    In theory, even being alive contributes to world destruction, that doesn't mean all pro environment people should kill themselves or accept being a hypocrite.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't know the first thing about actual vegan diets. You think a veagn just eats raw veggies. You're wrong. I've been vegan for almost a decade and take no supplements.

But wait, lemme guess you know more about it than I do, right?
    Probably eating a lot of soy and contributing to the deforestation of the Amazon in the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    smoking is good for the environment because it kills humans.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    Other source: https://www.skepticalscience.com/how...ute-to-gw.html

In addition to that knowledge, we haven't discussed side effects like deforestation for pastures, water polution, etc. And we havent even discussed other meatproducts Just hamburgers.... let's think about that for a second.

Can someone really be pro environment / claim they care about the environment while at the same time contributing to the biggest source of carbon footprint, deforestation and water pollution / waste by eating meat?
    Yes, I'm an environmentalist and I eat meat. Although I'm against the way we go about it, both from a resource and a ethical point of view.

I'm in pretty big support of lab-grown meat, which has increasingly become cheaper and cheaper and could clear up those ethical and environmental concerns I have.