Do I have enough cooling in my build?

I recently just ordered the build below and was wondering if I need more cooling? Thanks, for your help!

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Series
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1
    CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake
    CPU Fan: CRYORIG H7
    SSD: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB

Your case only comes with an exhaust fan, i would add two 140's to the front of the case:

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/nYMF...fan-phf140spbk

Those are the same fans that the case has in the rear, if you want to keep it matching and what not.

Depending on ambient temps, that may be fine. Personally, I would likely do as Fascinate suggested and at least add a couple intake fans to create positive pressure in the case to help prevent dust build-up, but the actual cooling should be ok. Best way to tell would be to just hook it up and monitor temps while gaming, but I'd add the additional fans anyway.

Awesome! Already ordered the fans. Thank you!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yaytotems View Post
    Awesome! Already ordered the fans. Thank you!
    Too bad as I would have adviced against it lol :P They're not very good quality.

I've got a Phanteks P400 which came with 2 phanteks 120mm fans, both made a rattling noise so I replaced them with Noctua fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Too bad as I would have adviced against it lol :P They're not very good quality.

I've got a Phanteks P400 which came with 2 phanteks 120mm fans, both made a rattling noise so I replaced them with Noctua fans.
    The ones that come with the P400 are unbranded and far less quality than the one that comes in the pro m/pro etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I'd still probably go with noctua.
    I dont disagree with that of course, but those are like 25 bucks compared to 13. Just figured i would link the exact fans that came in his case, people like matching stuff etc.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-03-23 at 07:00 PM.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yaytotems View Post
    I recently just ordered the build below and was wondering if I need more cooling? Thanks, for your help!

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Series
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1
    CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake
    CPU Fan: CRYORIG H7
    SSD: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB
    I have the same case

I have 2x 140mm in the front pulling air in. 3 120mm in the top (2 of them on the radiator) pulling air out. 1 140mm in the back pulling air out. 1 140mm in the bottom pulling air in. The only downside to this case is that you can't do push/pull if you use water cooling. The Mobo is to close to the top.

All my fans are Bitfenix Spetra LED red fans

all in all the Case is 10/10

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Your case only comes with an exhaust fan, i would add two 140's to the front of the case:

Those are the same fans that the case has in the rear, if you want to keep it matching and what not.
    Mine came with a 200mm in the front and 1 140mm in the back
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    I have the same case

I have 2x 140mm in the front pulling air in. 3 120mm in the top (2 of them on the radiator) pulling air out. 1 140mm in the back pulling air out. 1 140mm in the bottom pulling air in. The only downside to this case is that you can't do push/pull if you use water cooling. The Mobo is to close to the top.

All my fans are Bitfenix Spetra LED red fans

all in all the Case is 10/10

- - - Updated - - -

Mine came with a 200mm in the front and 1 140mm in the back
    He has the pro m, not the pro

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    He has the pro m, not the pro
    Arh din't see it was the /M
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

This man preaches the word of positive air flow. Hallelujah!
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My rule: always have more intake than exhaust, one outtake is good enough for the absolute majority of people. Right behind the cpu... I'd have at least two in front, maybe spinning a bit more... Put one blowing at your gpu if you really want to be efficient.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    My rule: always have more intake than exhaust, one outtake is good enough for the absolute majority of people. Right behind the cpu... I'd have at least two in front, maybe spinning a bit more... Put one blowing at your gpu if you really want to be efficient.
    I would hesitate to recommend that on a well designed case with good wire management. I had a fan controller and every fan spot occupied in my old Antec 300 and ran some temperature experiments, and shutting off the side fan actually reduced my GPU temperatures by 5-7C (GTX 460 at the time, non-blower cooler) and my CPU temperatures by a degree or two. Air churn and turbulence can do bad things, and calm steady airflow is underrated.

Experimentation is key, though, and results may vary depending on a lot of factors like fan air velocity, CPU/GPU cooling solution, case, cable management, and overall heat outputs of each PC component.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    I would hesitate to recommend that on a well designed case with good wire management. I had a fan controller and every fan spot occupied in my old Antec 300 and ran some temperature experiments, and shutting off the side fan actually reduced my GPU temperatures by 5-7C (GTX 460 at the time, non-blower cooler) and my CPU temperatures by a degree or two. Air churn and turbulence can do bad things, and calm steady airflow is underrated.

Experimentation is key, though, and results may vary depending on a lot of factors like fan air velocity, CPU/GPU cooling solution, case, cable management, and overall heat outputs of each PC component.
    The fan was blowing air at the gpu? And the temp was hotter? Color me intrigued! Well, I have a fan coming tomorrow and I plan to put it on the side, so I'll do some testing for sure!

But yeah I've been doing great with just the two front intakes and one outtake on the back.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    The fan was blowing air at the gpu? And the temp was hotter? Color me intrigued! Well, I have a fan coming tomorrow and I plan to put it on the side, so I'll do some testing for sure!

But yeah I've been doing great with just the two front intakes and one outtake on the back.
    It was one of these guys with a fairly weak cooling fan, so the 120mm side intake might have just completely overpowered its air pressure. I've done similar tests on PCs with blower coolers (not the same case, very different component setup) and have had temperatures drop across the board, but open-air coolers seem to be a mixed bag.

Still, "wind tunnel" approaches to PC cooling have their merit; my method is "front to back, bottom to top" for airflow and if it's a build with a bottom-mounted power supply I try to get a case with a dedicated bottom intake for the PSU fan. Irrelevant for my current build anyway, a Bitfenix Prodigy case with a single 230mm intake fan in a 250x340mm enclosure ... only dedicated exhaust is the power supply, and the fans for my R9 290 are almost flush against the side intake so it's effectively isolated.
    Super casual.

Deleted
    I know we all like our Noctua's but I'm using bequiet silentwing3 140mm's for intake and can't fault them. I can't measure noise vs airflow, but noise vs rpm's the sw3's seem a bit quieter than the nf's I had in the case previously (they are now in another case so can't directly compare) It's folly to consider only nf14's when you have decent Varder's and bequiet's out there also (they all do pretty well on rads also, though EK speciality)

I too have generally got best results with a front-bottom to back-top tunnel, rather than a side intake or passive/active exhaust.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my case, (no pun intended) adding the side panel fan has decreased maximum temperatures on both the CPU and GPU by about 7 degrees Celsius. O_O

Minimum CPU temp has dropped a few degrees, too, it's down to 24 Celsius, on the coldest core, and GPU minimum so far has been 25 Celsius.

Max GPU from TimeSpy DX12 benchmark was 69 Celsius and max CPU after running Cinebench, TimeSpy (with its physics test), and the API overhead benchmark, has only been 63 Celsius.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post

You can't go wrong with Noctua, never disappointed me once in years.