Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Apple gets Patent published today to Use Iphone with Macbook chassis as a computer

As the title say, Apple got a patent published patent today that could change how we compute on the go. With the design they have submitted you would insert your iPhone into the area on a macbook chassis where the normal track pad it. The iPhone would then power the computer. This could be a game changer. for mobile computing.

here is a link to the patent from the US Patent office dated with todays date. It looks like it was filed in September.

http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNum...%2F20170323%29

Better be able to charge it while the phone is inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I don't see how powering a laptop with a cellphone is a game changer. It seems like at best they just eliminated the need for a USB cable.
    you never understand or see anything in any post. You simply post stupid shit to inflate your post count.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-03-23 at 04:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The A9 chip is plenty powerful enough to run a desktop OS and there has been speculation that they (Apple) has a version of OSX running on it behind closed doors already. So not a major surprise, but could be interesting.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Better be able to charge it while the phone is inside.
    I would imagine they would have too. The chassis is supposedly going to have a built in GPU so would need more than just the iphones power to run it.

Completely useless gimmick. Powering laptops with ones phone? Some people must enjoy buying new phone every 6 months, because that's what it'll accomplish; to kill your phones battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Going by how silly the iPhone battery life is, I'd say there's not much going forward with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Completely useless gimmick. Powering laptops with ones phone? Some people must enjoy buying new phone every 6 months, because that's what it'll accomplish; to kill your phones battery.
    the chassis will most likely have its own power source just like a macbook. Built in battery and all that would sustain the iphone battery.

I doubt apple would go through all that just to say "oh shit we forgot to add a batter and charger"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flabberly View Post
    Going by how silly the iPhone battery life is, I'd say there's not much going forward with this.
    Cause it's impossible to put a second battery in the "notebook" case, even though it's been done many times already.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    you never understand or see anything in any post. You simply post stupid shit to inflate your post count.
    I'd agree with Nixx on this one. Just seems like a gimmick to me. Doesn't really seem all that practical. I have a laptop. I have a phone. Why do I need a phone-top or whatever the fuck you would call this? What practical purpose does it serve which I don't already have?

I don't see how powering a laptop with a cellphone is a game changer. It seems like at best they just eliminated the need for a USB cable.
    Because you just have one device and plug it basically into different shells depending on what you want to use.

So like ur phone is basically ur main computer. You carry it around for calls and texting and such. If you are home and want to work and type stuff, plug it into the typing/laptop shell. If you want to sit on the couch and watch TV, plug your device into a giant screen and it will connect your media.

This really isn't surprising at all, I remember people discussing this was the way tech will be headed like 15 years ago when Fresh Gear was on Tech TV.

Microsoft has been toying with it as well. Surface Book is basically a tablet that when you want some performance and a laptop experience you connect it to the keyboard base. Its the same concept just a little further down the line in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    I'd agree with Nixx on this one. Just seems like a gimmick to me. Doesn't really seem all that practical. I have a laptop. I have a phone. Why do I need a phone-top or whatever the fuck you would call this? What practical purpose does it serve which I don't already have?
    How many different items does a current cell phone replace that we "used to have" We are moving forward sport, not backward

Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    And what if you need the laptop to stay powered for work, while having to answer the phone. Are people going to pick up the laptop and wrap it around their head to talk on the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

This seems like a very small advantage over USB cables and flash drives.
    I think you're missing the point. Instead of paying for 5 different computing devices, you buy one main machine (phone) and a bunch of cheap shells for different uses. And not to mention everything is stored neatly in one place, in your pocket.

Also I hope you can see where this is headed. Basically a credit card thin phone and will just slide into a laptop shell/ desktop shell/ tablet shell/tv shell.

And what if you need the laptop to stay powered for work, while having to answer the phone. Are people going to pick up the laptop and wrap it around their head to talk on the phone?
    Im sorry, many of the rest of us have moved on to Bluetooth headsets for calls long ago, maybe you should join us in the future?

BTW. Earpods say hi

You forget that most people that are in an apple ecosystem are "all in"
    Last edited by Moozart; 2017-03-23 at 04:00 PM.

That's what headphones are for...

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    How many different items does a current cell phone replace that we "used to have" We are moving forward sport, not backward
    That doesn't answer any of my questions.

Why do I need this "feature" which allows me to put my phone where my mouse pad would be? What advantage does this give me which I don't already have with a phone and a laptop? Why is this practical? Why do I need this? How is this going to make me more productive?

I lol'ed - good one, sir :P

Isn't Asus doing it for quite some time now? More precisely since 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    That's what headphones are for...
    Im sure this is one of things apple had in mind when Earpods were in the works