Sponsers pulling ads from YouTube because of offensive content

Warning audio only article.

https://www.marketplace.org/2017/03/...protect-brands

This is more than likely the reason behind YouTube's recent "Restricted content" snafu.

There's been a bunch of these stories out lately, apparently it's wiped $25b off Google's share price due to the uncertainty. These advertisers are specifically concerned about hate content on youtube - homophobia, anti-Semitism etc:

Johnson & Johnson and JPMorgan Chase & Co have become the latest big US companies to suspend all digital advertising on Google's YouTube over concerns its ads might have appeared on channels that broadcast offensive videos.
    Wireless carriers Verizon Communications Inc and AT&T Inc said on Wednesday they would suspend digital ads on YouTube, joining a list of well-known British brands such as retailer Marks and Spencer Group Plc that are deserting Alphabet Inc's Google.
    Google has come under intense scrutiny for ads appearing alongside videos on YouTube carrying homophobic or anti-Semitic messages.
    The company vowed an overhaul of its practices and said on Wednesday it has started an extensive review of its advertising policies.
    http://www.news.com.au/world/breakin...f1ce4b66f727d8

Youtube is vowing to do more to demonetise this sort of content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    SJW businesses can go back to their safe spaces. This is America.
    It is America, and companies can decide where they advertise freely.

So sad that people are losing money because of thin skinned people that dont understand the world has different views then them and life isnt a padded room with a golden rod of joy up your ass 24/7
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

I had heard this on the radio today as well. Apparently the issue is that the companys in question don't believe that Youtube's rating etc can go far enough to fully ensure that they don't wind up advertising for something they'd rather not.

I'm also unsure how content creators will feel about being paid less (or not at all) for their work, if it comes down to Youtube pushing stricter guidelines to qualify for payment. I'd say "welcome to being a musician", but that'd be snarky. Completely true, but also snarky.

Looks like youtube is going to start censoring soon then.

Erm... Youtube is losing money because companies whose business relies on a family friendly image don't want their ads appearing to decidedly family unfriendly content.
    Seems like a sound business model to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    I said it many times before, but political correct culture is pushed by corporate capitalism (and the republicans that keep giving those corporations more power and money).

You know in which countries people can't get fired because they tweeted a controversial opinion, where SJW-ism just isn't a thing, or where censorship because of political correctness is also less of a thing? In West-European countries where politics are a whole lot more left-wing.

Food for thought.
    Can you please name one of those countries? Where an offensive tweet can't get you fired, but the politics are more left wing than what is being pushed by liberals currently in the US. I'd honestly like to know what country you're referring to because you can be sent to prison for an "offensive" tweet in liberal Europe, yet you're claiming there exists some country over there where you can make offensive tweets and not even lose your job.

From the UK to Germany, people have been arrested and thrown in prison for posting "hate speech" on social media. All because of anti free speech laws specific to those countries and in the EU as a whole. 2,500 people have been arrested in the UK in the last 5 years for "offensive" Facebook and Twitter posts. Yet you want to claim that in left wing governments people can make offensive or controversial tweets and not even lose their jobs like some people do in the US. A couple in Germany were arrested, tried and sentenced to prison for starting a Facebook group critical of the migrants flooding into their country in record numbers. Because complaining about economic migrants destroying your country is considered "hate speech" and "hate speech" is a crime in left wing Germany.

And here is the official code of conduct for online hate speech that all European Union member countries are subject to. So don't try to even try to claim left wing countries in Europe allow people to get away with what they post on social media more than the United States does. Because that's a gigantic lie.

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/fundamen...conduct_en.pdf

7+ Year Old Account
    It's absolutely ridiculous that advertisers are given the power to decide who they support.

Companies don't want their adds shown in front of content that they don't support to ensure it doesn't look like they endorse that kind of behavior. How is this an epiphany to some people?

SJW businesses can go back to their safe spaces. This is America.
    Well obviously they are doing just that and taking their money with them.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I don't really see the issue in not advertising on something that can potentially hinder your own market... it makes perfect sense, actually.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!