Wolf cubs arrive in Devon as part of rewilding strategy

http://geographical.co.uk/nature/wil...lding-strategy
    Six wolf cubs are being settled into their new home at the Wildwood Trust in east Devon as part of a long-term campaign to reintroduce wolves to the UK. Born in Hungary, but raised at a wildlife research centre in Sweden, the cubs are ten-month-old European Grey Wolves – the most likely species to be released into Britain through rewilding. However, should the wolf return, it would probably only be in parts of Scotland and even then not for several years to come.

‘Before we can think about reintroducing carnivores like wolves, we have to get people used to the idea of the species being part of the British landscape,’ says Peter Smith, Wildwood Trust founder and rewilding advocate. He believes the key to rewilding is education: ‘We need to dispel the myths of the “big bad wolf” while also giving young people the skills to rewild in the future.’

Wolves were a native UK species long before they were vilified and eventually exterminated in the 18th century. Since then, their behaviour has become better understood and scientists have also discovered the importance of predator species to ecosystems. It is thought that by reintroducing key species such as the wolves, pressure from the current overabundance of grazing species would be eased on ecosystems, as well as improving the levels of biodiversity. ‘Wolves are keystone species,’ says Smith, ‘which means they drastically alter the environment around them for the better.’

Part of the cubs’ role in Devon will also be to help researchers explore the link between wolves and domestic dog species. Christina Hansen-Wheat, biologist at Stockholm University, will continue to compare the wolf cubs to dog puppies, looking at how the predator’s behaviour began to change as it became domesticated.

The cubs will spend the next four months in quarantine. ‘But the public may still be able to catch glimpses of them before that ends,’ says Smith.
    Wolves are a vital part of most Eurasian and North American ecosystems, they not only control populations of elk or red deer, but they also modify the behavior of these species, causing them to avoid certain areas which in turn allows for those areas to forest much easier. In turn these newly forested areas help stabilize the banks of rivers and streams which helps prevent flooding.

Deleted
    Sweet, they should set up a wolf population on the moors!

Sweet! Hope that project actually gets somewhere!

Deleted
    Wolves? Why though.

Could instead "rewild" the area with guinea pigs or something else that's not a predator.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Wolves are a vital part of most Eurasian and North American ecosystems, they not only control populations of elk or red deer, but they also modify the behavior of these species, causing them to avoid certain areas which in turn allows for those areas to forest much easier.
    We could just introduce deer stalking into Scotland to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Wolves? Why though.

Could instead "rewild" the area with guinea pigs or something else that's not a predator.
    Because predators are keystone species that control populations of animals. They change the behavior of deer as mentioned as well as killing smaller predators like foxes which allow for more smaller prey species for birds of prey, weasels and badgers.

Areas where red deer and other species avoid rebound with a lot more plant life and this is especially needed in the UK where most of the forested land has traditionally been deforestated for sheep grazing and grouse hunting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    We could just introduce deer stalking into Scotland to do that.
    Hunting isn't as efficient as wolves spend their entire lives tracking deer. It also won't effectively make them avoid open areas where they can be tracked easier.

Wolves also do more than control the population and range of deer.

10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds cool....but not sure it will result in much.

Wolves control prey populations because they are an alpha species...they have no real natural predators. In a totally natural environment they re necessary for controlling populations. In our current world, people have taken that role of controlling populations...we don't need wolves to do the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

10+ Year Old Account
    Hunting isn't as efficient as wolves spend their entire lives tracking deer. It also won't effectively make them avoid open areas where they can be tracked easier.

Wolves also do more than control the population and range of deer.
    Wolves do not benefit the local economy by supporting jobs within Scotland, whereas deer stalking does.

We really do not need wolves in the UK, nor any other team from the Midlands.

Wolves do not benefit the local economy by supporting jobs within Scotland, whereas deer stalking does.

We really do not need wolves in the UK, nor any other team from the Midlands.
    Wolves benefit the economy by potentially promoting eco-tourism and controlling the population and range of red deer. They alongside beavers benefit people by indirectly preventing and minimizing the effects of flooding.

As mentioned before, red deer avoiding areas where they can be tracked more easily mean those areas rebound in floral diversity. As these forests grow they stabilize the banks of rivers.

Wolves reinforce the role of beavers by indirectly giving them more forested areas to live. Beavers will cut down some of these trees and build dams which will create pools and streams for fish and other species.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wolves benefit the economy by potentially promoting eco-tourism and controlling the population and range of red deer.
    Scotland already does that with stalking.

They alongside beavers benefit people by indirectly preventing and minimizing the effects of flooding.

As mentioned before, red deer avoiding areas where they can be tracked more easily mean those areas rebound in floral diversity. As these forests grow they stabilize the banks of rivers.

Wolves reinforce the role of beavers by indirectly giving them more forested areas to live. Beavers will cut down some of these trees and build dams which will create pools and streams for fish and other species.
    More beaver is an idea I can get behind.

Plenty of sheep to eat?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Scotland already does that with stalking.

More beaver is an idea I can get behind.
    Not related to wolves, but what do you think about reforestation in the UK and Ireland? A lot of areas in both countries which were once forests were burned for agricultural use with overgrazing posing a serious problem to the remaining biodiversity of those areas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    Sweet, they should set up a wolf population on the moors!
    You mean the landscape, right?
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Not related to wolves, but what do you think about reforestation in the UK and Ireland? A lot of areas in both countries which were once forests were burned for agricultural use with overgrazing posing a serious problem to the remaining biodiversity of those areas.
    We are a relatively small island that has a fairly sizeable population, with a housing crisis, my ideal priorities are that the land is used sensibly, rather than just create forests because we used to have them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    It sounds cool....but not sure it will result in much.

Wolves control prey populations because they are an alpha species...they have no real natural predators. In a totally natural environment they re necessary for controlling populations. In our current world, people have taken that role of controlling populations...we don't need wolves to do the job.
    People cost money. Wolves do it for free, and more efficiently.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    People cost money. Wolves do it for free, and more efficiently.
    People pay to control the deer populations in the UK. It accounts for the livelihoods of a fairly large chunk of Scottish people, in particular.