Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here in New Jersey, we have domino's, pizza hut, and little ceasers. But we also have at least 2-3 mom and pop pizza shops per town. We take our pizza pretty seriously, which is why those mom and pop places don't go out of business even with the chain competition so close by.

Domino's is for parties in our area. You can get 4 medium 2 topping pizzas for $around $24. However at the mom and pop places, it will cost you a little bit more. So when ordering in bulk, we do the chain places. But for a single pie for just the family, the mom and pop places are the best!
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    We prefer Toppers, but if the kids need a quick meal it is Dominoes or Pizza Hut. Sometimes even the dreaded Little Caesars.

It is funny that every time we pass an inspection or make some money for corporate.
    Congratulations here is your 100 $5 pizzas to feed your 400 employees!
    I usually just bring lunch from home.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Pretty sure you just shit it out, that's what happens when I eat dominos

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, some pizza places like this tried to move in to my area, which is dominated by Pizza Hut's and Dominos and Papa John's, they closed up pretty quickly. It sucked too cause their pizzas were good

Doesn't surprise me tbh, chains fail all the time when your original customer base ages, Dominos is cheap and decent quality and if you want to pay a bit more for better Papa Johns is there, if you want to pay less for worse you have Little Caesars, having been to family own Pizzerias the only thing they offered was creativity and atmosphere which just isn't in as high of demand with an increasingly at home society. The real question here is how the hell Pizza Hut has managed to compete, probably just from name recognition, their Pizza is the worst of all imo, except LC but they have price on their side.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    We prefer Toppers, but if the kids need a quick meal it is Dominoes or Pizza Hut. Sometimes even the dreaded Little Caesars.

It is funny that every time we pass an inspection or make some money for corporate.
    Congratulations here is your 100 $5 pizzas to feed your 400 employees!
    I usually just bring lunch from home.
    I like little caesars. doesn't hurt that the one closest to me is apparently the best one for like 30 miles or something. Passable pizza, cheap.

though if we're playing favorites, there's a pizza place that I go to every time I stop by the grocery store, best I've ever had. slices so heavy that even with a thick crust you have to fold it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pizza is just highly competitive, and insanely so in Chicago and all of these closed Illinois locations for both chains were in the Chicago area. On top of the cheap Papa John's, Pizza Hut, and Little Ceaser's around, Chicago has countless amazing pizza restaurants of all kinds from thin to pan. That's kind of like going to Memphis and opening a new bbq place, or a new Mexican restaurant in San Antonio. It better be exceptional to last very long. Plus grocery store pizza keeps improving, and you can actually get very decent frozen pizzas nowadays (not talking Tombstone and that range, but the higher-end ones).

And that's not counting how crazy hard new restaurants of all types are to be successful anyway. I think I saw a stat before that over 1/2 of new restaurants are closed within a year. Seems like people want either really cheap food, or good food and they are willing to pay. The in-between places like the ones mentioned in the OP article tend to be the first to go.